I have a 14 digit product key, and windows is asking me for a 25 digit product key? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 14 digit product key, and windows is asking me for a 25 digit product key?
    I bought an oem copy of windows XP Pro from a vendor at a computer swap meet all shrink-wraped, with it's COA sticker.  The product key on the COA sticker has 14 digits, all numbers, but the installation asks for a 25 character key.
    Have I been screwed over? :(
    I cannot do your diagnostic tool as I cannot even install windows. - I am sending this question via a friends computer.
    Thanks,

Adrian.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 11:57 PM

Answers

•  Adrian1977 wrote:
    It is defiantely the COA.. The label says... "You are required to affix this Certificate of Authenticity to the exterior of the PC." It also says "Windows XP Proffessional 1-2CPU" and product key "XXXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX" all numbers, with a reflective "genuine" running vetically.
    There has to be someone out there from MS that knows about this 14 digit number?

All legitimate COAs have printed on them the 25-character Product Key in this format:

Product Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If the 25-character Product Key is not visibly printed on the COA, I'm afraid you've been had by the vender who sold it to you.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:39 PM

All replies

• All legitimate Windows XP CDs require a 25-character Product Key to install. Contact the vendor that sold it to you for assistance.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:15 AM
  • Adrian:

The item you're looking at is probably the Product Identification sticker, not the COA sticker.

Examples of COA stickers: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

I hope this helps,

-phil

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:01 AM
  • It is defiantely the COA.. The label says... "You are required to affix this Certificate of Authenticity to the exterior of the PC." It also says "Windows XP Proffessional 1-2CPU" and product key "XXXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX" all numbers, with a reflective "genuine" running vetically.
    There has to be someone out there from MS that knows about this 14 digit number?
    Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:28 PM
  •  Adrian1977 wrote:
    It is defiantely the COA.. The label says... "You are required to affix this Certificate of Authenticity to the exterior of the PC." It also says "Windows XP Proffessional 1-2CPU" and product key "XXXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX" all numbers, with a reflective "genuine" running vetically.

All legitimate COAs have printed on them the 25-character Product Key in this format:

Product Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If the 25-character Product Key is not visibly printed on the COA, I'm afraid you've been had by the vender who sold it to you.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:39 PM
  • I too have a 14 digit code on my COA.  I bought my PC in Australia from a reputable dealer but have since returned to UK.

Having replaced my hard disk, I am being asked for a 25 digit code. 

I have no reason to believe my disk is fake so there must be a way of re-loading with a 14 digit number
    Monday, October 23, 2006 12:10 PM
  •  sail fish wrote:
    I too have a 14 digit code on my COA.  I bought my PC in Australia from a reputable dealer but have since returned to UK.

Having replaced my hard disk, I am being asked for a 25 digit code. 

I have no reason to believe my disk is fake so there must be a way of re-loading with a 14 digit number

All legitimate Windows XP CDs require a 25-character Product Key to install. Contact the vendor that sold it to you for assistance.

Monday, October 23, 2006 12:56 PM