none
At what point does WHS stop using a drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a an HP MSS which currently contains 1 500gb system disk, 3 1tb disks, and an external Mediasonic enclosure connected via USB that contains one 1.5tb drive, total size of all shares is 4.55tb with 2tb free.   Folder duplication is turned off on all folders (I've got an external backup of everything)

I've got the disk management addon installed which lets me see how much space is being used on each individual drive  (I have a feeling that this type of information is hidden from the user by Microsoft on the Server Storage tab because they don't want them to over analyze how WHS balances storage).  From what I can see the 500 gb drive is 63% full, 2 of the 1tb drives are 73% full, 1 of the 1tb drives is 97% full, and the 1.5tb drive is only 2% full.   

Status of all drives and shared folders shows as Healthy.

I'm probably over analyzing things but my concern obviously is the drive that is 97% full, it's only got 27gb of free space left.  So my question, based on peoples experience is there some point where WHS will stop writing to that drive? or rebalance the storage to even things out?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:22 AM

Answers

• I think around the 20th GB is the value, on which WHS starts to use the next drive if there is one.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by activoice Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:53 AM

All replies

• I think around the 20th GB is the value, on which WHS starts to use the next drive if there is one.
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by activoice Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:53 AM
  • The balancing never really seems to actually balance the data, at least visibly.  I was going to re-install my OS so I removed 3 of my 4 drives one by one so all the data would be left on a single 1TB drive.

When I re-installed the OS and added the 3 newly blank drives to the pool then copied the 1TB of data to the pool (using synctoy).  All the data seemed to only copy to one of the drives.  The other 2 were showing as blank, even with folder duplication on.  When I re-added that last 1TB drive there was still no change.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:38 PM
  • So in theory when I only have 20gb left on that drive it should stop storing files on it, and either put the data on one of the two 1tb drives with space remaining or the 1.5tb drive which is mostly empty.  I should hit that point in the next couple of days and report back..  I think the 1.5tb drive currently only contains backups of a new PC that I added recently.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:57 PM
  • So in theory when I only have 20gb left on that drive it should stop storing files on it, and either put the data on one of the two 1tb drives with space remaining or the 1.5tb drive which is mostly empty.  I should hit that point in the next couple of days and report back..  I think the 1.5tb drive currently only contains backups of a new PC that I added recently.

Yes, that way.
    Regarding balancing - the wording is an irritating choice for something, which should better called distribution and so calls for misunderstandings. This takes care of putting data to a DATA volume with enough free space, if the server has more than one disk, it will use one of the other drives instead of the system disk. It also cares about putting a copy of files in duplicated folders to another physical disk, and it will select further disks if one of the data disks is almost full.
    The idea behind filling one disk first and later the next disks is the fact, that a recovery of files, which are stored together on one disk, is much more easy than the files of one folder are spread around 5 disks.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:33 PM
  • So my homeserver hit the 98% full mark on the one drive leaving 17gb of free space, then it started using Drive 3 which is 73% full... instead of the drive with the most available space... 

It almost doesn't make sense to add new empty drives to WHS until you are almost running out of space on all data drives... doesn't really seem like it will start using the 1.5tb drive until the 2 1tb drives are almost full...

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:31 AM