Lost keys RRS feed

• Question

• One of the most common questions I have seen all the way back to windows 95 has been "I lost my key, what do I do now". Now, MS wants everyone to register their software but almost no one does, (activation is a different thing all together). Why doesn't MS do the right thing and offer free product key backup and retrieval to people who actually takt the time to register their software with MS. For this to work and MS not take a PR black eye for privacy issues it would have to be 1. voluntary and 2. not tied to activation.

Just saying, as we know, it isn't the media that is important, it is the product keys themselves. Lets say John loses his key, he logs into his windows live account, retrieves his office key, which is associated with a digital download link just in case he lost his media too.

BTW, steam does this for game keys. Not difficult
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:32 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Genuine Benefits)
    • Moved by Ashutosh MMicrosoft Support Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:02 PM Moving back to the right category (From:Installing, Upgrading, and Activating Microsoft Office Products)
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:18 PM

Answers

• Sorry, but this forum only has expertise with matters related to resolving Microsoft Genuine Advantage issues.  This is not a forum to discuss product key external storage.  However, there are third-party tools available, such as Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:33 PM

All replies

• Why did you move it, I only mentioned office as an example, I mean this question for all keys?
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Sorry, but this forum only has expertise with matters related to resolving Microsoft Genuine Advantage issues.  This is not a forum to discuss product key external storage.  However, there are third-party tools available, such as Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Fine, everytime someone posts the question "I lost my key, what do I do now" we should just respond that they should have used belarc advisor, now poney up ath the MS store.

EDIT: Actually Carey, there are a multitude of methods of backing up keys and advanced users do so either by storing them in an excel document or using one of dozens of utilities that retrieve keys. You mentioned Belarc but everest ultimate does the same thing as does the jelly bean key finder (which unfortunatly has a reputation of being used by hackers) but none of this is the point. We are talking about the average user who has no idea that he or she needs to store keys, backup files, etc.

As for this being the right venu or not, what is? I mean, I'm a PC and windows 7 was my idea right? or was that just BS. Lets pretend you're trying to be helpful and not just doing CYOA for microsoft and forward this little idea to the proper chanels since MS claims to have listened to US regarding windows 7.

I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea. That is why they backup your keys for you when you register.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:43 PM