Streaming Music, Video, and using as a document file server RRS feed

• Question

• WHS is meant to stream music, video and be used as a file server. If I do this things and work on documents stored on the server is Storage Balancing going to run all the time? Is it normal? Even more important is it safe? I don't want to shorten the life of my drives... Thanks

Monday, February 4, 2008 6:30 PM

Answers

• Thank you Jlohrenz

I dont appreciate the poster before you saying what he said as no one did answer the question with the snawer shadowcopy. I just wonder how long the "copies" remain for? But I don't dare as as people here, not you are rude and use the Lords name in vain. appreciate the answer, 'll just have to find out how long these copies last for...

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:40 PM

All replies

• WHS will continually optimise and balance your storage as it needs to. It is perfectly safe, its how WHS is designed.

If you want to know more take a look at some of the WHS whitepapers.

Andrew

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:05 PM

• Not that it would happen, but I would be wary about modifying documents stored on the server.  It appears that WHS doesn't handle files currently open for edit very gracefully and those files are candidates for corruption.  One of the mvp/moderators can provide better information, but please search for corruption on the forums (in particular the faq area).
    Monday, February 4, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Oh really? So I have to take them down everytime I want to edit and then put them back up?

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:11 PM

• I would.  But not to damn WHS here, please look at the corruption issue to determine if it would affect you.
    Monday, February 4, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Oh could a moderator answer my origianls question and tell me about this corruption issue?? Thanks LLiam

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Hi

I did answer your original question.

Information on the corruption issue can be found here : http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2663159&SiteID=50

You can easily search for more information on this and other posts by using the forum search function.

Andrew

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:23 PM
  • So if I want to edit a Word document thats on WHS. Take a copy down. Then put it back up when I finish,,?

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Currently Word is not one of the programs that is causing the corruption. To be ultra safe until the fix is released then yes, copy the file locally, do what you need to and either leave it on your computer to be backed up or copy it back to the WHS.

The choice is up to you.

Andrew

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Any other data corruption or loss concerns. I got the server to store everything on.... Thats what I want to do but I want it to be safe...?

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:33 PM
  • If you have read the post I pointed you at then you have seen the latest information.

If you are not 100% sure then wait until the fix is released and store your documents on your local computer and just have WHS back them up.

Otherwise, just follow the advice in the article and dont edit them directly on the server.

Andrew

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Yes, I understand this. My second question was... Is it save to transfer all my pictures, data, etc to the server for safe keeping? That is why I bought it. So I can store files in a centralized location. Thx

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Well there are no guarantees obviously, but if you are not editing files that are highlighted in the article, then yes, it should be safe to store your files. As you say, that is what WHS is for.

If you want that extra layer of protection you can manually backup your data - take a look at the backup whitepaper for information on how to do this.

Andrew

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Earlier today I put up 22MB of photos I erased them about 5 minutes ago. It went through storage rebalancing, but now it still says that there is 22MB of data in the folder. Why is this?

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:49 PM
  • For more info and forum member experiences, see:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2642866&SiteID=50

Although I was informally chastised for putting this thread together I think it highlights the problems users are having, beyond what the official KB article talks about.  I stopped building on the thread because those not experiencing any problems didn't apparently think it was a good idea, dismissing it as hearsay and not contributing to the solution (as well as hinting to the fact that me and others complaining are some how working for the competition).  You can read other threads on new corruption issues (pertaining to other software and other situations) that have surfaced since the thread was put together, that are not listed in the link above.

Good luck.  Until this issue gets resolved, I would recommend not using your WHS machine.

Monday, February 4, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Can an MVP answer my question? I don't think this previous post pertains to me. Thanks

Monday, February 4, 2008 8:38 PM
  •  

Can an MVP please answer my question... I don't think the previous posters info applied to me. Thanks
    Monday, February 4, 2008 8:39 PM
  •  

Hi JShoemaker,

That 22MB is most likly volume shadow copies.  It allows you for restoring items to a previous date.  You should see it drop off in the next couple of days.

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Are you sure? How long before they delete? Where can I find them if need be?

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Without wanting to sound like I dont want to answer your questions, can I suggest you do as I recommended earlier which is to read the various WHS whitepapers and have a look through these forums as it will give you a better understanding of WHS as a product and what it can do, and how it operates.

If you have questions thats great, but also please take the time to read what is already out there rather than asking for someone to validate every answer, especially when you are pointed at the information you ask for.

Andrew

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Sorry, I should have added the link to the whitepapers in case you didnt know where they were:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/discover.mspx

Click on Help & How To's. They are all really good, I would suggest both Drive Extender and Backup to read first as that should give you a better insight into the areas you may be concerned about.

If you still have questions after reading them, post away :-)

Andrew

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:29 PM
  • I did read that.... If anyone else could help me that would be wonderdul. I'd appreciate it.

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:11 PM
  • To think I opted against building a Linux server because I wanted something familiar that "just works", and now I find myself reinstalling the OS, running chkdsk, troubleshooting strange errors, joining forums, and guarding against file corruptions caused by using the server as a.... gasp.... SERVER.  Wow, this IS easy!! Wink

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Earlier today I put up 22MB of photos I erased them about 5 minutes ago. It went through storage rebalancing, but now it still says that there is 22MB of data in the folder. Why is this?

I read other forums and cannot find an answer.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:17 PM
  •  jshoemaker21 wrote:

Earlier today I put up 22MB of photos I erased them about 5 minutes ago. It went through storage rebalancing, but now it still says that there is 22MB of data in the folder. Why is this?

I read other forums and cannot find an answer.

My God - you have been answered and answered and answered.  Nobody can give you a more specific answer about your specific situation through a user forum.  Please stop asking the same (unanswerable) question over and over and over.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:28 AM
  • It's called shadowcopy.  It is a default setting on the server that keeps backup copies of files.  In a few days it will clear itself out.  If you want to restore that data, you need to read through the manual as it explains the process of recovering an 'earlier version' of a folder.

As far as openly accessing data on the server such as word docs, my suggestion would be:

If you have WHS backing up your PC nightly why not just keep the files on your PC and let WHS back it up?  Then you get basically the same functionality as keeping the file on the server.  Remember the Server shares are moreso to stream files or to share files to multiple PC's.  If you are just looking for data integrity then turn on backups and let it back up your pc nightly.  Then you have a recoverable and up to date backup close at hand.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Thank you Jlohrenz

I dont appreciate the poster before you saying what he said as no one did answer the question with the snawer shadowcopy. I just wonder how long the "copies" remain for? But I don't dare as as people here, not you are rude and use the Lords name in vain. appreciate the answer, 'll just have to find out how long these copies last for...

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:40 PM
  • I did answer that it was volume shadow copies.  As for how long they remain on the server it's usually about 2 weeks.

here is a nice flash movie that explains how shadow copies works.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/docs/ShadowCopiesSharedFolders.swf

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:14 AM
  • Yeha I know how they work in 03 I didnt know WHS was the same with all the new features added and changed

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:16 AM
  •  

CARRY ON AS OTHERS ARE GOD, IF IT WERE SATAN ARE WE GLAD? SOLUTIONS?
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:28 PM