Music and Photo Connect Use RRS feed

• Question

• As a new WHS user, I'm not sure I really understand how/why to use 'a server,' like the iTunes server/connector.

Here's my thinking:

-Copy my music library to the WHS shared music folder.

-On the clients, through iTunes, map the music library to the shared music folder (that's how I've been doing it on my network, before I employed my WHS).

All works fine on my old network...and wondering how I should set things up for WHS.

I suppose if I wanted to have some music on my clients, having the iTunes connector copy the music from my clients to the server makes sense...but I usually just use iTunes at home...synch devices there, and take my music on the device...and forgo listening to music on the laptop when away from home.

Lastly, I'm thinking NOT to use the connector to copy pictures over to WHS as well, and just copy my photo library over, just like the music.

Is there a compelling reason to use the connector, and change how I plan to migrate my music and photos to the WHS?
    • Edited by MtnLover Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:37 PM

Answers

• Short answer: in your scenario, no, there's no compelling reason to use the content aggregator built in to Windows Home Server. The iTunes "server" that HP provides is intended to stream music to other devices (like the Roku Soundbridge, etc.) It's the exact equivalent of the streaming that's built in to iTunes itself. If you don't need that functionality, you also don't need to use the content aggregator.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:02 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• Short answer: in your scenario, no, there's no compelling reason to use the content aggregator built in to Windows Home Server. The iTunes "server" that HP provides is intended to stream music to other devices (like the Roku Soundbridge, etc.) It's the exact equivalent of the streaming that's built in to iTunes itself. If you don't need that functionality, you also don't need to use the content aggregator.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MtnLover Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:02 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Thanks, Ken, for your clear response; makes sense. I'm motivated now to get my music copied over.

Cheers, Jason

Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Ken,

I was doing some exploring with the media connector, and had a 'duh, I get it now moment.' I can see the value now of how the connector works, and how media can be streamed via a browser or program to another device (receiver, etc). I really didn't get it before. There was something in your response the prompted me to explore things further. Thanks for that!

Jason
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:43 PM