Possible WHS & Media Server combo... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok, I'm kinda jazzed about the WHS functionality. But I need to figure out how this will figure into my scenerio:

First, I want to build a media center computer that I can rip my movies to and connect to my TV. Have all my music, and movies and all that on the media center pc. Nice video card etc.

But I also want the functionality of the storage, backup and access of the WHS.

Now can these two be the same box? Or, will I need to build two boxes? Can I use teh storage of the WHS to house my media for the media center pc?

Thanks

Marvin

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:58 PM

Answers

• Marvin,

The consensus on here seems to be that a separate system is the way to go and use it to store all the ripped files and videos etc. Using the server as a media centre as well, appears to slow it down greatly for some people and interfere either with the server operations or the media operations.

However, in theory, with a reasonable hardware setup, there should be no reason why it shouldn't work, but, do you want a powerful system - which is usually not quiet - in the same place as you listen/watch your media.

Colin

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:41 PM

All replies

• You should take a look at the Sage TV HD Media Extender.

With this product, you install the Sage TV server software for WHS on your WHS PC.  Then you connect the SageTV HD Media Extender to your TV.   Together, all this costs $250 in a bundle -- $199 for Sage HD Media Extender plus $50 for Sage WHS software.

All your music and movies will be accessible on your TV.

You can optionally add a dual-tuner HDHomerun to your network.  This adds dual-tuner DVR and live TV capability for local SD and HD channels to the setup.  You can schedule recordings from the guide on the SageTV HD Media Extender, and the programs are recorded on your WHS.  You can then view the recordings on the extender; you can even add automatic commercial skip (a la the old ReplayTVs) with an add-on for SageTV.

Basically, SageTV for Windows Home Server provides comparable functionality to Windows Vista Media Center (with an Xbox360) using WHS, but without the need to have an Xbox360 or a computer running Vista 24/7.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Marvin,

The consensus on here seems to be that a separate system is the way to go and use it to store all the ripped files and videos etc. Using the server as a media centre as well, appears to slow it down greatly for some people and interfere either with the server operations or the media operations.

However, in theory, with a reasonable hardware setup, there should be no reason why it shouldn't work, but, do you want a powerful system - which is usually not quiet - in the same place as you listen/watch your media.

Colin

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:41 PM