none
HPC 2008 - cannot deploy image to Node - error cannot locate network adapter

Question

• I have installed  HPC 2008  onto a Win 2008 R2 x64bit head node. 

Using the HPC manager I have taken an image from the win 2008 R2 OS installation disk.  This the image i want to install onto the other nodes within my enclosure.  Within HPC under the jobs to do list i am able to add the nodes, so the setup knows that the other nodes are present and it is able to send the image to the nodes.  However during the start of install of the image on the node it gets to detecting network settings and then fails saying no network adapters are present, it goes no further and just sits in the DOS command.

During the  create template phase i didn't add any extra drivers as i thought everything it needs would be on the disk.  The encloser we have is HP aBlade C-class and they have 2 virtual nics for each blade. I have turned off the firewalls on the private network as the guides suggest but it hasn't made any difference.  I am also using toplogy 1 as this best suites what we are trying to setup.

I'm a little confused as if i can see the node and then start the inital image deployment then it must be able to communicate with the node. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this or has any pointers to help out?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Gary

There may be some compatability issues between your OS and the version of HPC Pack you're running. I would stick to:

Server 2008 SP2 OS (not R2) with 2008 HPC Pack SP1

OR

Server 2008 R2 OS with 2008 HPC Pack R2 Beta 2

If you're just proving this stuff out then by all means go with 2008 Server R2 with HPC Pack R2 Beta 2, it's pretty awesome. 

Cheers

Dan

PS I've blogged my understanding of version compatability which may help
    http://windowshpcmad.blogspot.com/2010/04/digging-through-versions.html

• Marked as answer by Gary Hyde Monday, April 19, 2010 3:17 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary

There are several stages to the node deployment. The first is the PXE based boot, which as you notice is not driver dependent and will allow new nodes to show up in the add nodes wizard. Once nodes are approved for deployment drivers are required for the imaging part of the deployment process. These drivers are not necessarily available by default, & it seems that this is where your deployment is failing. Following image deployment the OS drivers are required, which also may or may not be available within your deployed image.

I don't have much experience with HP blade systems, but it looks like the network cards may well be Broadcom parts. If this is the case you need to get hold of the monolithic drivers (should be in the driver package, b06nd.inf / b06nd51a.sys) and add them to your cluster headnode using the add drivers wizard.

Firewall off / topology 1 is a good bet.

Just out of interest, you mention that you've installed HPC 2008 onto a Win 2008 R2 x64bit head node. Have you installed HPC Server 2008 R2 Beta 2, or the release version (HPC Server 2008 SP1) of the HPC Pack?

Regards

Dan

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Hi Dan thanks for the response.

yes you are correct about the broadcom drivers being on the blade. I have found that when we try to add the drivers through HPC it gives an error saying cannot access the path even though we using an admin account. So it would appear that it is not loading the network drivers as part of the image deploy which could be the main problem.

As yet we have not patched the HPC up but we are not sure if we should jump to the Beta R2 2008 version or first go to SP1 first and then try again?

Friday, April 16, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Hi Dan thanks for the response.

yes you are correct about the broadcom drivers being on the blade. I have found that when we try to add the drivers through HPC it gives an error saying cannot access the path even though we using an admin account. So it would appear that it is not loading the network drivers as part of the image deploy which could be the main problem.

As yet we have not patched the HPC up but we are not sure if we should jump to the Beta R2 2008 version or first go to SP1 first and then try again?

Friday, April 16, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Hello Gary

There may be some compatability issues between your OS and the version of HPC Pack you're running. I would stick to:

Server 2008 SP2 OS (not R2) with 2008 HPC Pack SP1

OR

Server 2008 R2 OS with 2008 HPC Pack R2 Beta 2

If you're just proving this stuff out then by all means go with 2008 Server R2 with HPC Pack R2 Beta 2, it's pretty awesome. 

Cheers

Dan

PS I've blogged my understanding of version compatability which may help
    http://windowshpcmad.blogspot.com/2010/04/digging-through-versions.html

• Marked as answer by Gary Hyde Monday, April 19, 2010 3:17 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Hi Gary,

You also need to make sure you have the appropriate drivers on the head node as well as injecting the drivers through the HPC Cluster Manager "Manage Drivers" section.

I've seen cases where a driver mismatch in versions between the head node and the compute nodes can also lead to many different problems.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:53 PM