Renewal - Can I renew with a newly purchased disc, or do i have go through the web site? RRS feed

• Question

• Need help in renewing my subsrription. For $49.99 on the web site i can renew up to 3 computers. At Office Max, I can purchase a new one care disc for $19.99, also good for 3 computers. Will the new disc renew my subscription? Will i have to delete my current version before installation?

thanks for your help

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:00 PM

Answers

• You can renew with the retail key and you should not remove your current copy or even use the CD. All you need is the key from inside the box.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

-steve

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:07 PM

All replies

• You can renew with the retail key and you should not remove your current copy or even use the CD. All you need is the key from inside the box.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

-steve

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated.

Steve

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I have tried to enter my new CD Product Key as the 25 character 'PIN' several times and it

does not work. I have unistalled twice but it just does nto recognized the key

Friday, June 6, 2008 1:10 PM
  • WOW - you guys are fast (oSmile

right after my prior post I tried it one more time (the 6th time, about an hour wasted) and this time it worked.

Friday, June 6, 2008 1:18 PM
  • I'm glad it worked, but posting here didn't resolve it for you. :-) This is a forum where customers help other customers.

-steve

Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:31 AM
  • OK - I'm back.  The PIN license is not recognized on computer #2 or #3.  So what now? Any ideas?

I just wasted another 1/2 hours poking around the wedsite with no hint of a solution or a access to MS tech chat etc.

Is there a MS tech chat URL listed anywhere? 

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:44 PM
  •  Gary Beck wrote:
    OK - I'm back.  The PIN license is not recognized on computer #2 or #3.  So what now? Any ideas?

I just wasted another 1/2 hours poking around the wedsite with no hint of a solution or a access to MS tech chat etc.

Is there a MS tech chat URL listed anywhere? 

You don't use the key for the second and third computers. You need to activate with the same LiveID used on the first PC.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:59 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

-steve

Hi, I am 4 months before my current subscription expires, can I renew with a new disc now or do I have to wait until I am within 90 days? Also, does the remaining time get added on to the new subscription? A competitors (they came in a yellow box!) subscriptions didn't, just started the new year when you updated but didn't add on the remaining time. Thanks, Randy 

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:13 PM
  • You can renew any time as long as your current subscription is less than 12 months old. The renewal takes effect on the date of your current expiration and extends the subscription term by 12 months. It can take 5 or more days to reflect the new expiration date in OneCare after you renew.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:22 PM