How to add/setup unmanaged drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a WHS server that has 2 managed drives. I put a third drive in and didn't add it to my managed drives. I want to keep it unmanaged to use with sageTV.  I've read that having a managed drive can cause issue.  I added the drive to my system and from explorer can see the drive.  The console sees it, so I could add it if I want.  However, I don't know how to add it/use it as an unmanaged drive.  I went to the drive properties and added a share on this drive, but I can't see it on my network. In fact, I can't see the server on my network. I can use the console on my laptop to access the server (which I know is the preferred way), but when I look at my network, I only see my PC and another on the network- not the server. I've changed my laptop to the WORKGROUP group, to match the WHS default, but it didn't help.  I'd like to be able to see the unmanaged drive as a plain network drive.  Could someone please tell  me what I need to do to see the server and the unmanaged drive?

Thank you,

John

Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:47 AM

Answers

• John,

Second things first, (easiest)!

You need to RDP into the server first. Then, on the Start Menu, highlight My Computer, 'right-click' and select 'Manage'.

From the Computer Management box that pops up, select Disk Management which should now show all the drives in the Server.  Highlight your new non-pooled drive and again 'right-click'; from this, you can give this drive a Drive Letter, (well outside the ones used by WHS). This new drive letter can now be mapped as a Network Drive from any of your Clients.

Not seeing your server, it does have an IP/subnet mask within the same group as your Clients? You don't have any firewall blocking?

HTH,

Colin

Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• John,

Second things first, (easiest)!

You need to RDP into the server first. Then, on the Start Menu, highlight My Computer, 'right-click' and select 'Manage'.

From the Computer Management box that pops up, select Disk Management which should now show all the drives in the Server.  Highlight your new non-pooled drive and again 'right-click'; from this, you can give this drive a Drive Letter, (well outside the ones used by WHS). This new drive letter can now be mapped as a Network Drive from any of your Clients.

Not seeing your server, it does have an IP/subnet mask within the same group as your Clients? You don't have any firewall blocking?

HTH,

Colin

Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:49 PM
  •  

Thank you so much.  I've never had to use remote desktop - very cool

John

Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:25 PM