Firewall shows two networks - one marked unknown RRS feed

• Question

• After install of the new version last week, I was unable to connect to my network drives (Linksys NSLU2). After exploring I found under "change location" two networks. One was labeled LAN and one was labeled unknown.

The LAN was listed as Home. The unknown was listed as Public. I change the unknown network to Home and I was able to connect to all computers on my network.

However the very phrase unknown really bothered me. So I started searching. Along with the name unknown there was a id that appeared to be registry entry. This proved to be true.

I have Nortel VPN software on my machine in order to connect to my work network. The registry entry in question led right to this software. I confirmed that every place this key was found refered to Nortel VPN.

Now two questions. First why "unknown" network when the name could easily be found?

Second, why changing this network [which should have no bearing on using the machine if the software was not started] to home allowed my network drives to be accessed?

Thanks for any insight or information.

Robert Tankersley  CDP

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:25 PM

Answers

• I can't answer this in detail, but I can only tell you that this is a problem when multiple network adapters are detected as active on the PC. OneCare can't seem to identify the additional adapters. This happens with virtual adapters and even some physical adapters. On my laptop, it happens with the Loopback Adapter active, but not connected.

The fact that any adapter is identified as Public and active, causes Public to lock down the firewall into restricted mode.

I consider this to be a bug in OneCare, though the developers may disagree. I hope that they are working to improve this experience.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:14 PM

All replies

• I can't answer this in detail, but I can only tell you that this is a problem when multiple network adapters are detected as active on the PC. OneCare can't seem to identify the additional adapters. This happens with virtual adapters and even some physical adapters. On my laptop, it happens with the Loopback Adapter active, but not connected.

The fact that any adapter is identified as Public and active, causes Public to lock down the firewall into restricted mode.

I consider this to be a bug in OneCare, though the developers may disagree. I hope that they are working to improve this experience.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:14 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

I can't answer this in detail, but I can only tell you that this is a problem when multiple network adapters are detected as active on the PC. OneCare can't seem to identify the additional adapters. This happens with virtual adapters and even some physical adapters. On my laptop, it happens with the Loopback Adapter active, but not connected.

-steve

Stephen: Thanks for your timely answer. I do view this as an issue and at least misleading. I especially am bothered by a listing of "unknown" network.

Thanks again.

Robert

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:26 PM
  • As I noted, Robert, I see this as a bug, too.  I am hopeful that they are actively addressing the ability to handle multiple adapters and virtual adapters properly in XP.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Lots of good answers here but maybe I am just uh duh, ya know. when I had the choice to pick home or public, I chose home, but then it said if I wasn't using a router, [which I don't although I do have DSL, with an Ethernet connection], that I should choose public??
    Be that as it may I left it alone as my internet was wrking fine. Then when I got to the settings page I also saw the "Network Unknown". I have my regular 1394 connection on cause someone told me to, and also the Local Area Connection "WildBlue" on. Is it possible that it is recognizing the 1394, which although it shows connected will not connect on it's own, or should I just disable that connection?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Oh, and do I still need a registry fix progam with Live One Care e.g. Uniblue regisry booster?
    Thanks very much,
    Tony62
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:54 PM
  • If you are directly connected to your DSL modem, you should choose Public, which restricts more protocols. Hom/Work relaxes settings to allow things such as File and Printer Sharing on a local network to function.

You should be able to disable the 1394 connection, that's probably the Infrared port.

No, you don't need a registry fix program - they usually cause more damage than they fix. I rarely recommend their use unless you are attempting to resolve a specific problem and then only when you use extreme caution.

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:39 PM