FxCOp / Windows SDK install horrors RRS feed

• Question

•  I search for the FxCOP installer. I have the installer in my SDK 7.0 directory. I install it. I run it. I open the fxcop project i create on another machine.

The FxCOP project is too new for my current fxcop to install. it tells me to get the latest. Fine.

I go to the site to get the latest, and the installer is a fucking readme.txt telling me I have eto install all of the Windows SDK 7 for windows. I am confused since I already have Windows SDK 7. Apparently it is SDK 7.1 that I need, yet there is no SDK 7.1 installer. I go ahead and run the SDK7 installer, choosing just the .NET Tools option to get FxCop.

The install fails. There's a button to click on a log file. useless stack trace is present. Log also tells me to view a help file that is installed by the SDK installer. The help file wasn't installed becuase the installer failed, whcih is why i'm in the log file. So, what can I do? 

There's a million blog posts bitching about this whole process, but you have to do this. There's no stand alone installer for FxCop. What if I want to use FxCOp on a machine not hooked up to the internet? Well, you're fucked if you do. thanks Microsoft.

I also checked the MSDN developer download page since I"m a member. No FxCop. No SDK installer.

10:47:29 AM Wednesday, October 23, 2013: [SDKSetup:Info] File succesfully downloaded - source:http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/6/A/A6AC035D-DA3F-4F0C-ADA4-37C8E5D34E3D/setup/WinSDKNetFx40Tools_amd64/cab1.cabtarget:file:///C:/Users/myuser/AppData/Local/Temp/SDKSetup/WinSDKNetFx40Tools/WinSDKNetFx40Tools_amd64/cab1.cab size:3766038
    10:47:31 AM Wednesday, October 23, 2013: [SDKSetup:Info] Successfully downloaded the filehttp://download.microsoft.com/download/A/6/A/A6AC035D-DA3F-4F0C-ADA4-37C8E5D34E3D/setup\vc_stdx86\vc_stdx86.cab to C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Temp\SDKSetup\vc_stdx86\vc_stdx86\vc_stdx86.cab
    10:47:31 AM Wednesday, October 23, 2013: [SDKSetup:Info] File succesfully downloaded - source:http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/6/A/A6AC035D-DA3F-4F0C-ADA4-37C8E5D34E3D/setup/vc_stdx86/vc_stdx86.cabtarget:file:///C:/Users/myuser/AppData/Local/Temp/SDKSetup/vc_stdx86/vc_stdx86/vc_stdx86.cab size:71673244
    10:48:15 AM Wednesday, October 23, 2013: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Installation of Product Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 (failed): Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack:    at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureRelatedSfx()   at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)
    10:48:15 AM Wednesday, October 23, 2013: [SDKSetup:Info] Config_Products_InstallNew: End installation of new product: Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7
    10:48:15 AM Wednesday, October 23, 2013: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Windows SDK Setup (failed): Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack:    at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)   at SDKSetup.Product.SetupProduct(TaskMode taskMode, ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)   at SDKSetup.ProductCollection.SetupProducts(TaskMode taskMode, DownloadManager downloadManager, ManualResetEvent cancelEvent)   at SDKSetup.ConfigProducts.DoCurrentTask(TaskMode Task)
    • Moved by Eason_H Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Papa,

I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum about this issue, since this forum is to discuss Visual C#. You can consider posting it in Visual Studio Code Analysis and Code Metrics  forum for more efficient responseshttp://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=vstscode

Thanks

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:36 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:14 AM