Office XP genuine and activated but fails Template wizard download validation test RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I'm trying to download tmplwiz.exe (template wizard) from the Microsoft website.  Office XP is activated and running, but fails the WGA test from the download.  I need the wizard asap for a client's project.  Please find the Genuine Advantage(?) Diag Tool Report below.

Thanks!

Mark Graffam

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WD7YM-6GY2Q-T7WFB
    Windows Product Key Hash: TgiprXQ82lCDD5DHpcqQXv+R5eo=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2154225-54820
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 9b635ad1-9d00-4d60-833f-0259d0f93ca3
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>9b635ad1-9d00-4d60-833f-0259d0f93ca3</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-T7WFB</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2154225-54820</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3340822582-1073459724-1050130955</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 2400               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20031202000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>718C3B4F01842052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell DIMENSION DIM2400</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Standard</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>33ED04B5A0BAFF8</Val><Hash>mf0OpDA4ufY4GMGFyrkSFRQKGrc=</Hash><Pid>54187-755-3576923-17592</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{911B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Word 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>62A4EAC3B9ACA0A</Val><Hash>oYFJkmRdgrdNVD6wKZKJMnTn5To=</Hash><Pid>54189-OEM-1650002-00005</Pid><PidType>16</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:41 PM

Answers

• Good Morning Mark,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing surrounding Office activation. In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue. Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.  
    1) Open My Computer located on your desktop
    2) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

3) Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete.
    4) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    5) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    6)  If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Stephen Holm MS

Thanks,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:40 PM
  •  

Hi Stephen,

Your suggestion to resolve this problem on my customer's system is unacceptable.

This is a Microsoft problem, not my customer's problem.  This CD of MS Office was purchased

at Staples and I installed it many months (years?) ago with no activation problem.  Now, as I try to provide

a solution based upon a downloadable Template Wizard, I'm being asked to risk "UN"activating a perfectly

genuine copy of Office because of an apparent problem on Microsoft's end.  This would leave my customer

without use of the Office products that they paid full price for, as Microsoft makes more suggestions on

how to "RE"- prove that the product is genuine. This is bad business practice by Microsoft.

I cannot risk this situation for my customer.  As a Microsoft Partner, Microsoft has put me in quite a dilema.

Once the product is activated as genuine, it should stay that way.  Asking the customer, or the Microsoft Partner, to delete files and see "if the (re)activation was successful" is crazy.  What does Microsoft tell its legitimate customer if it does not re-activate?  They are screwed!

Mark

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Good Afternoon Mark,

I am sorry you feel my answer was unacceptable. The solution I provided could have corrected the problem experienced by your customer. Please review the information from the following Knowledge Base Article which provides information on Office Activation issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us. Troubleshooting using the process of elimination could help both you and I to resolve the issue for your customer. Significant changes to the configuration of the computer can affect Office activation problems. This is why I made the recommendation for deleting files. 

Select  “Activate by using the telephone” option. To activate the product this way, follow these steps:

1) Start any Office program.
    2) In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the telephone” option, and then click Next
    3) Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click “Next”.

Note You are not required to read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy to continue these steps in Microsoft Office 2007. A link to the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy is provided so that you can read it at any time.

4) In the “Select your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.
    5) Click “Next”.
    6) On the “Activation Complete” page, click “Finish”.

Please keep in mind this is a public forum and used by people worldwide. Please watch language and verbage. As you I too am a customer and try putting myself in your spot while providing customer service as I would expect to receive.  If you need further assistance please re-pose here.  Thank you. 

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:01 PM

All replies

• Good Morning Mark,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing surrounding Office activation. In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue. Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.  
    1) Open My Computer located on your desktop
    2) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

3) Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete.
    4) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    5) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    6)  If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Stephen Holm MS

Thanks,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:40 PM
  •  

Hi Stephen,

Your suggestion to resolve this problem on my customer's system is unacceptable.

This is a Microsoft problem, not my customer's problem.  This CD of MS Office was purchased

at Staples and I installed it many months (years?) ago with no activation problem.  Now, as I try to provide

a solution based upon a downloadable Template Wizard, I'm being asked to risk "UN"activating a perfectly

genuine copy of Office because of an apparent problem on Microsoft's end.  This would leave my customer

without use of the Office products that they paid full price for, as Microsoft makes more suggestions on

how to "RE"- prove that the product is genuine. This is bad business practice by Microsoft.

I cannot risk this situation for my customer.  As a Microsoft Partner, Microsoft has put me in quite a dilema.

Once the product is activated as genuine, it should stay that way.  Asking the customer, or the Microsoft Partner, to delete files and see "if the (re)activation was successful" is crazy.  What does Microsoft tell its legitimate customer if it does not re-activate?  They are screwed!

Mark

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Good Afternoon Mark,

I am sorry you feel my answer was unacceptable. The solution I provided could have corrected the problem experienced by your customer. Please review the information from the following Knowledge Base Article which provides information on Office Activation issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us. Troubleshooting using the process of elimination could help both you and I to resolve the issue for your customer. Significant changes to the configuration of the computer can affect Office activation problems. This is why I made the recommendation for deleting files. 

Select  “Activate by using the telephone” option. To activate the product this way, follow these steps:

1) Start any Office program.
    2) In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the telephone” option, and then click Next
    3) Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click “Next”.

Note You are not required to read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy to continue these steps in Microsoft Office 2007. A link to the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy is provided so that you can read it at any time.

4) In the “Select your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.
    5) Click “Next”.
    6) On the “Activation Complete” page, click “Finish”.

Please keep in mind this is a public forum and used by people worldwide. Please watch language and verbage. As you I too am a customer and try putting myself in your spot while providing customer service as I would expect to receive.  If you need further assistance please re-pose here.  Thank you. 

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Stephen,

I had the same issue, and the above advice (as taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us) resolved it for me, many thanks!

Mark

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:00 AM
  • Great Mark,  Please visit here again if we may assist you.

stephen holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:05 AM