WHS IP adress seems to exist only when WHS is in recovery mode ; but recovery doesn't work.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi;

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo WHS.

It worked perfectly well for 4 years but suddenly disapperaed from the screens.

All leds indicate things are OK ( HD and network connection) BUT nothing is found when I scan my network...

If I turn the WHS in recovery mode, WHS shows up with an IP adress (192.1468.1.19) and an akward name : minint-******** but recovery procedure aborts almost immediately with a message indicating (translation from French) that "either there is a network problem or a hardware problem with the server".

Any clue as to how to overcome this problem ?

Thanks in advance

FG

FG

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:55 PM

Answers

• Before discarding the server I decided to take all HDs (except the one with the OS) out ; I tried to reinstall, could not either but I had the surprise to "see" my WHS while scanning the network .

I could re_enter in the Scaleo server using the Remote desktop connection ; it took me quite some time to rebuild everything but it worked .

It seems that one of the HDs was defective therefore blocking the reboot/reinstall process without triggering the alarm which is supposed to indicate that a HD creates a problem ....

Problem fixed.

I write it down in case someone is faced with this sort of problem with a scaleo WHS...

FG

• Marked as answer by FGMareil Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:03 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:03 PM

All replies

• Try using a direct connection from the computer you're using to run the recovery from to the server, with no switch, router, etc. involved, just a network cable from one computer to the other.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for the idea ; I tried .... without success . The symptoms are the same.

FG

Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Before discarding the server I decided to take all HDs (except the one with the OS) out ; I tried to reinstall, could not either but I had the surprise to "see" my WHS while scanning the network .

I could re_enter in the Scaleo server using the Remote desktop connection ; it took me quite some time to rebuild everything but it worked .

It seems that one of the HDs was defective therefore blocking the reboot/reinstall process without triggering the alarm which is supposed to indicate that a HD creates a problem ....

Problem fixed.

I write it down in case someone is faced with this sort of problem with a scaleo WHS...

FG

• Marked as answer by FGMareil Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:03 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:03 PM