Software license service (slsvc) won't run -- repeat RRS feed

• Question

• I've got the same problem described in the thread cited above. But I don't understand what is meant by "system error 3 fix" -- what is that fix? Where do I get it?
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi costero,

The 'System Error 3' (as well as the 'System Error 2') message that people get when they attempt to re-start the Software Licesning Service (using the 'net start slsvc' command) is caused by some Free Registry Cleaners programs available out on the internet. These Free Registry Cleaners (usually on 64bit versions of Vista) delete the registry entry that tells Vista where the slsvc.exe file can be found (that's the file that controles the Software Licensing Service) and if Vista doesn't know where to find the file, it can't run it.

The 'System Error 3 Fix' that you mentioned, is a list of steps that help you create a file that (when you double click it) will recreate that deleted registry entry. You can find the Fix by going to the main page of this forum http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/threads and then click on the second line in the 'Announcements' section titled "Fix for ‘Software Licensing service Has Stopped’ on some Vista 64bit systems".

I hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:39 PM