Backup and Restore using SQL Server Backup (5 database Restore + x) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to backup the my SharePoint 2010 farm using SQL Server Backup. I understood that I need at least the four Project Server databases and the SharePoint content database where the PWA Site resides.

I understood that I need to make sure that all database are in sync so I need a marked marked rransactions. I did not find any guidance on this regarding SharePoint Server 2010 and Project Server 2010.

Can you advise me?

Thanks,

John

John
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Same here, Please guide
    Regards Sudip Misra sudipmisra@hotmail.com +1-412-237-5435 Pittsburgh, PA
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Best method is Sharepoint Farm backup using sharepoint central admin: (This will take care of Project server backup too)

Plan for backup and recovery (SharePoint Server 2010)
    Back up a farm (SharePoint Foundation 2010)

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Sriram, I just found this post. As you already know I am trying to use SQL tools for my disaster recovery model with MSP Server 2007 on Win2008 and SQL2008 (not R2). For Project 2007 server do you still feel SharePoint Farm Backup is the best tool? Is is still the best tool if the data loss requirement is 2 hours maximum?

I must plan for a total HW loss scenario, so I think my options are:

1. SQL tools using Full with marked transaction logs each 2 hours
    2. SQL tools using Full and differential backups each 2 hours
    3. SharePoint Farm Backup (each 2 hours?)

I am curious about option 2 because it has no synchronization like log marking. Would it work or would I need to worry about synchronization?

Can option 3 be a viable option for my data loss requirement?

Thank you!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Absolutely. Option 3 has differential backup option too. Sharepoint farm backup option will reduce the restoration time.

It will help you to create Replica very quickly. Moreover farm restore is the recommended option for Project server.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Sriram, if I use the SharePoint farm backup method, and the system burns up, how do I get to the point where I can run the restore? Do Ihave to reinstall the MS Project Server SW from scratch and then use restore before creating any instances?
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Also I found this quote in the documentation for restoring:

"Although the configuration database and the Central Administration content database can be backed up, restoring backups of the configuration database and the Central Administration content database taken from a running farm is not supported."

So does the SharePoint Farm backup method really allow restoration of the config and content databases if my system is running when i make the backup?

Thank you for your expertise!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:00 PM
  • In the same article, read the statements just below the above statements

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207294.aspx

You can recover a farm, including the configuration database and Central Administration content database, in the following ways:

Use farm-level backups of a running farm taken with Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 to recover an entire farm, including the configuration database and Central Administration content database. For more information, see Restore a farm (SharePoint Server 2010).

Restore a backup of the configuration database and Central Administration content database taken from a fully stopped farm. For more information, see Move all databases (Project Server 2010).

If the configuration database and the Central Administration content database of a farm become unsynchronized, you must re-create both databases by using the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard or Psconfig command-line tool.

• Proposed as answer by Quized again Friday, March 11, 2011 4:33 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:54 PM