WLOC Backup too large RRS feed

• General discussion

• WLOC Backup too large

Total space used on my c drive is only 128 GB out of 226GB--

WLOC backup took up 200 GB on "F" (personal media-removable) drive.

I do not understand this space hogging!

Is there something I do not know here?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:58 PM

All replies

• About the only scenario I can  think of that might explain such a large backup is that you have a large amount of music, photos, videos stored on your removable drive. Since One Care backs up by file type it is possible that the data on your external drive was backed up as well as the files on your computer.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:10 PM
  • Thanks 

But

There is not that much on the removable to add up to 200GB total--

Is there a way to "exclude" the drive that you are backing up too-- from the "search"--

Doesn't WLOC "compress" the back-up file Some?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:44 PM
  • One Care does compress the backup files. I don't know of a practical way to exclude a drive from backup but it's a feature I would like to see added to One Care. You might try browsing the One Care backups to see what files are using all of that storage space.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Actually, Exclude is an option as part of the backup plan. You select the file types and then exclude folders and files from being searched. I can't verify at the moment, but you used to be able to exclude an entire drive.

Note, however, that OneCare should not be backing up any data on any external drives. It doesn't see them as a source. If  your personal media drive is seen as internal, it will be backed up, but then you would have needed to use the workaround to have that same drive used as a destination.

If the space you see OneCare using from a single backup or from backup over a period of time? If it is over time, that is the way it will work. Each backup *adds* more data, depending on new and changed files. Old backups are not removed.

-steve

Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Actually, it was my first backup with wloc.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:26 AM
  •  PPPAUL wrote:
    Actually, it was my first backup with wloc.

So, did you review the backup Plan to see what files OneCare is backing up that ended up taking so much space?

-steve

Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:01 PM