none
MCPD Web Developer 4 on Visual Studio 2010 or SharePoint Developer 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

I'm new on this page and have gone through some of discussions but couldn't get one to give me guidance. I'm a sofware developer with 2 years experience on web development using VB.NET(2005,2008). I would like to take MCPD now I'm confused as to which stream to follow between Web developer 4 VS 2010 and Sharepoint developer 2010. I have never developed a sharepoint application but would like to in the near future.

Can you please give me your opinion 

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:13 PM

Answers

• I agree with what alberto said

take a look at MCPD on Web Developer and that should be easier.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#tab2

Trying to learn from scratch for MCTS without any prior knowledge its  a big uphill task. MCITP requires more experience, so you might be better off with MCPD

Rakesh

This is not correct. 

MCPD certifications are not easier than MCITP certifications.

MCTS are for both developers (MCPD) and IT Professionals (MCITP) and most MCPD and MCITP certifications require you to take multiple MCTS exams.

Someone with .Net experience may find MCITP certifications difficult as they probably would not have used the technology being tested in MCITP exams.  An IT Professional with Windows Server experience may find MCPD certifications difficult as they probably would not have used the technology being tested in MCPD exams.

You are trying to compare apples with oranges.  MCPD and MCITP are two completely different streams of certification.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:17 AM

All replies

• Given your stated experience, you will find easier to obtain a Web Developer certification. However, if you are willing to invest the effort needed to learn Sharepoint, those skills are in great demand, so it would be a wise career move.

Friday, July 22, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Given your stated experience, you will find easier to obtain a Web Developer certification. However, if you are willing to invest the effort needed to learn Sharepoint, those skills are in great demand, so it would be a wise career move.

I agree with what alberto said

Trying to learn from scratch for MCTS without any prior knowledge its  a big uphill task. MCITP requires more experience, so you might be better off with MCPD

Rakesh
    Friday, July 22, 2011 6:51 PM
  • I agree with what alberto said

Rakesh

This is not correct. 

MCPD certifications are not easier than MCITP certifications.

MCTS are for both developers (MCPD) and IT Professionals (MCITP) and most MCPD and MCITP certifications require you to take multiple MCTS exams.

Someone with .Net experience may find MCITP certifications difficult as they probably would not have used the technology being tested in MCITP exams.  An IT Professional with Windows Server experience may find MCPD certifications difficult as they probably would not have used the technology being tested in MCPD exams.

You are trying to compare apples with oranges.  MCPD and MCITP are two completely different streams of certification.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:17 AM
  • Thanks a lot guys for your responses. This is going to help me make a wise decision, much appreciated!

Jeff in conclusion to your advise which stream would you recommend for someone with my experience?

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:56 AM