Backup fails on all client PCs, every time. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP EX 475 with 4x0.5 TB drives.  Up until 2 months ago everything was great.  At that point backups started failing on one PC (a laptop).  I wasn't able to determine why.  After a while the problem spread to all PCs.  The client event log shows an error 773 (details below).

Backup of volume (System Reserved) to MEGALON failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Unexpected error 1117 on server file D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GlobalCluster.4096.dat

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(BackupVolumePhase phase)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

Thinking that it was a bad database entry I have deleted all good and bad backups for all clients, cleaned up the backup database and repaired it multiple times.  I've rebooted the server and the clients multiple times.  No joy.  Everything else seems to be working fine. All PCs connect to the server, remote access works, and the WHS console works fine. 

I'm now out on a limb -- no backups, all of my data resides on the home server, and I'm worried.

Any suggestions as to how to get my backups working again?  Since this forms the core of the whole family's computing experience, rebuilding the serevr from scratch will be hugely painful -- akin to doing a kitchen reno with no backup kitchen!

One interesting note: When I look in Settings / Resources, it reports that my WHS is running Power Pack 2.  I thought that it would be Power Pack 3 since auto update is turned on.

UPDATE: I tried using Remote Desktop to look at the server.  There were a bunch of errors queued up of the form: "Windows Home Server Backup encountered a problem and needed to close".  The errors seem to coincide with when backup is failing (it starts at 2 am and dies 10-30 minutes after that). The error signature is "szAppName : whsbackup.exe szAppVer : 6.0.2361.0  / szModName : whsbackup.exe szModVer : 6.0.2361.0 offset : 00063636 ". There was one of these dialog boxes showing up for every backup that failed.  I had to press OK for every one.

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try running chkdsk on all your servers hard drives, followed by another repair of the database.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by JeffNew Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:08 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 12:46 PM
  • What's the safest way to do that?  Do I just open up a CMD windows in remote desktop and start it up?  Or is there something special to do ahead of time?

Thanks...

...jeff

Monday, November 1, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Follow the link I provided.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Thanks Ken -- Didn't immediately see that it was a link.  Sorry about that.  I'll try this tonight.

...jeff

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:08 AM
  • Ken -- a huge THANK YOU for the advice.  My server just backed up itself and is now happily backing up the kids' PC for the first time in over a month.  I was sure that I was going to have to rebuild the server from scratch and that would have been no fun.  You're a life saver.

...jeff

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:48 PM
  • You should take a look at the output of chkdsk, if you kept it. Failing that, you should be able to find at least summary information in the appropriate event log. If it was just a minor error that happened one time, and never again, probalby there's nothing to worry about. If sectors were marked bad, or other serious errors were found, then you may have a failing disk.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:03 PM