LINUX ACCESS TO WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     I have set up my Whs easely (great). Enable the guest account with a password. Everything works grat as long as I try to access to the shared folders with a windows client. I mean by that, that the restricted folders or any users folders cannot be accessed with a the guest account. 

It works perfectely with an access from Mac. 

On another computer I have installed a fresh Opensuse for a try. with just a couple of clicks I could access all the folders, even the users folder and the restricted folders. I never had to enter a password or a login. Only the system folder could not be accessed.

How can avoid this. How can I set WHS to be much more secure even with Linux.

Need your help. Thanks
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:29 PM

All replies

• You'll probably get more help with Linux in a Linux forum. That said, Windows Home Server uses standard SMB shares. If you're accessing the shares (i.e. \\server\share) then you should have the same security you would have with any other client. Because of the way Windows Networking works, if you're logged into a computer using a username/password combination that exists on both that computer and your server, you'll have access (on your server) to anything that account would normally have access to, rather than Guest access.

If that's not what you're asking, I'm going to have to ask you to explain much more clearly what exactly the issue you're seeing is, with specific examples.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:59 AM