Media Library and Data Locations RRS feed

• Question

• Glad to have the forums back!

I have a question and an issue. I have my WHS2011 going, and I copied over all my Music, Pics and Videos. First I moved the folders from the install drive to my RAID drive using the MOVE FOLDER wizard. Then I copied over to the FOLDERS, not the "Libraries". Now I had always thought that when you did this it populated the libs from there? I did not have a WHSV1 so I'm not sure how it used to work. But I think during the BETA that when I did this it showed up there as well? I tried moving PICS over to the Library but then it's gone from the RAID drive? I'm very confused. I don't have a problem recopying or moving but now I'm confused as to where it should be? Should I move it to the LIB or the DRIVE with the FOLDER?

The reason for this is that in WEB REMOTE ACCESS none of my media shows up? This worked great with Vail and I never had an issue. I read some older things about stopping sharing and restarting, and rebooting but so far it hasn't showed up.

Or is this related to my above paragraph somehow?

Thanks all!

Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks Phil, can I just mention one more thing?

Using that workaround above says this:

Stop the "windows media player network sharing service"

Rename the "currentdatabase_" file in C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

Start the "windows media player network sharing service"

But I don't have an AppData under C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin or even under ADMINITSTRATOR?

Sounds like a bigger issue then?

• Marked as answer by rdmsys Friday, December 16, 2011 3:11 PM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

•  First I moved the folders from the install drive to my RAID drive using the MOVE FOLDER wizard. Then I copied over to the FOLDERS, not the "Libraries".
    The first part is all you should need to do - I don't understand what you mean by the second part. Are you talking about Windows 7 Libraries - if so they are just pointers to various other locations such as your shared folders.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Thanks Phil. But since the Libraies point the server files shouldn'y my stuff show up? No pics/vids or music does. And they don't on the Web page either.

Or am I missing something?

Edit: Upon reviewing the PROPERTIES of My Video the LOCATION has "C:\Users\Administrator\Videos".

Should this be pointing to my Drive VIDEOS folder? Not sure how or why it's set this way?

Thanks again...

• Edited by rdmsys Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:22 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:48 PM
  • You should be pointing to \\<Server Name>\<Shared Folder> if you are accessing via SMB shares or \\<Server Name> for DNLA streaming.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Phil, if I use the DLNA streaming method, you mean I don't need to say \\whs2011\videos ? Just the server name? Will it know to look in the Videos dir for them?
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Yes it will and it will look in "Music" for music etc.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:32 PM
  • I tried to set the location for My Pictures to \\whs2011 but got a "Folder does not exist, would you like to create it?"

Edit: Well, I tired pictures, just pointing to the DRIVE\Folder and it looks like it points to the right place now, but still nothing in Media Library...

• Edited by rdmsys Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:57 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Then you are not using a DLNA client (typically TCs, BluRay etc) - it will search your network for DLNA Servers. What is it you are setting?

Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Ah, I think I see confusion. I am talking about the actual WHS Server/Library folders, not a client. All I want is for them to show up on the Media Library via the WHS web page. Know what I mean?

Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:29 PM
  • I am talking about the actual WHS Server/Library folders, not a client. All I want is for them to show up on the Media Library via the WHS web page. Know what I mean?

By Library Folders you actually mean Media Library? In which case my first post still stands - use the Move Folder Wizard in the Dashboard to move the location to whichever Hard Disk you want them on and they will show up on the WHS Web page (and if you use Explorer to browse to your server as shared folders). If you want them to show up under the "Media Library" section on the Web Page, ensure Media server is switched on in the Dashboard under Server Settings, Media.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Sorry Phil maybe I wasn't clear and I hate to drag this out LOL...

Lemme run thru again.

Media Server is on.

I had already used the MOVE FOLDER wizard to move the Music/Photos/Video folder *before* I populated them. So they were empty. I then moved all my stuff over to the proper places (vids/pics/Music). And still nothing shows up in Media Library. So I am not sure where the disconnect is. I thought that *maybe* since the folders were not tied to the WHS Libraries that that may have been the reason, but it appears that that is not the case. I still get 0 pics/music/videos when I Web in.

Not sure if I hit a bug maybe?

Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:14 PM
  • How did you "populate them/moved all my stuff over to the proper places"?

So these populated folders can be seen as Shared Folders if you use Explorer to view the Server but not in the Media Library on the WHS Web page?Are you doing this on your loacal Network or via the Internet?

Are you using a media format supported by WHS?

Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:30 PM
  • I just copied them over the network to the Server Folders ie: F:\ServerFolders\Music, F:\ServerFolders\Video, F:\ServerFolders\Pictures...same thing I did with the Betas, and no problems...

Yes, I can see them in the FOLDERS page on the Web site, and Explorer...and no, I cannot see them in WHS Web page. Thats the issue, I was using it to play music and bring up pics in the betas. Here, though...nothing. Everything is fine.

Gotta be something! I just cannot find it...

Well, I just found this:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53

Not sure Phil but do you think I should try it?

• Edited by rdmsys Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:06 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Then I don't know!

You should actually be copying to \\<Server Name>\Music etc. but I don't think that's the problem. Have you tried searching this forum for other instances of this type of problem? There have been some but I do not recall how the issue was solved.

Good luck.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Thanks Phil, can I just mention one more thing?

Using that workaround above says this:

Stop the "windows media player network sharing service"

Rename the "currentdatabase_" file in C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

Start the "windows media player network sharing service"

But I don't have an AppData under C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin or even under ADMINITSTRATOR?

Sounds like a bigger issue then?

• Marked as answer by rdmsys Friday, December 16, 2011 3:11 PM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 4:29 PM