none
Phone Activation Says I Don't Have a Genuine Product RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently installed a new motherboard into another PC of mine - and HP media center that came with Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition.  I activated the OS successfully in the past, but after installing the new motherboard, it is asking me to activate again and (since the onboard ethernet drivers are not yet installed) when I call to activate it, it says something along the lines of it not being genuine.  I am obviously unable to download the WGA diagnostics tool, etc because the only thing I can do is activate right now.  What can I do to fix this?  Is there a phone number that I can call to speak to an actual customer service rep that can assist with this issue?  The phone number to activate by phone does not allow me to speak to a CSR.  I was able to activate this PC fine in the past.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:45 AM

Answers

• Nick74_,

If a computer cannot start into normal mode and can barely start into Safe mode, that's hardly "working fine."

Typically after changing a motherboard you have to do a repair reinstallation so that setup can configure the Windows installation to match the new hardware it is running on.  After the repair Windows will start into normal mode, which will make the Windows Installer service available, which is not available in Safe Mode.  Typically lower level hardware drivers like motherboard and NIC drivers use their own Setup routine and do not depend upon the Windows Installer service, while many application programs do depend on the WIS to help them get installed.

I would suggest backing up your data, running a repair reinstallation, then doing a telephonic activation, in that order.  If the phone activation system told you about talking to a live activation rep, that's what it is supposed to do.  Maybe you hapened to call in when there was some sort of glitch in the phone system.  Generally during regular business hours you get an activation call center in your country/region, but after hours you get shunted overseas so that might have been where the SNAFU took place.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Nick74_ Friday, July 3, 2009 11:57 PM
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick74_,

What was the reason for replacing the motherboard?  Did you use a non-HP motherboard or did you get an identical replacement from HP or another repair parts source?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:08 AM
  • The old motherboard was no longer working - I tested the other components in other PC's and they worked fine, and the motherboard did not.  I'm still not 100% sure why it all of the sudden stopped working, but since I ruled out all other components, I replaced it.  I did not replace it with the same model because the PC is no longer under warranty and the old motherboard was fairly outdated.  The old one was an ASUSTeK Limestone and the new one is an XFX board.  I did, however, get the system to boot into safe mode with command prompt, and got explorer up from there - basically getting the regular safe mode, but this is still far from usable.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:14 AM
  • Hi Nick74_,

A fresh or repair reinstallation of XP will give you a 30 day grace period within which you must activate before it goes into reduced functionality mode.

The reason for this grace period is so you can assemble and install the drivers for all internal hardware and external peripherals to make sure that they work.

Your new motherboard should have come with a drivers CD that has the drivers for the network circuitry (onboard NIC).  If not, all major motherboard manufacturers maintain drivers download sites just for this purpose.

When you phoned in to activate, the Activation wizard should have generated a many-character (can't remember the exact number) installation ID for you to manually enter into the phone activation system.  The system will respond with a many character activation ID that you enter into the activation wizard.

Did you get that far?
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:24 AM
  • I did not yet do a fresh or repair install, the old install is working fine, but there is no "grace period."  As I mentioned above, I can access the files on the CD in safe mode, but the installations all failed, I'm guessing because it requires a service that wasn't started in safe mode.  It did give me an installation ID and when I called to activate it, it said that it was not a legitimate installation ID.  Then it told me how to change the CD key and just hung up.  It said something about speaking with a Customer Service Representative, but I never was able to.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Nick74_,

If a computer cannot start into normal mode and can barely start into Safe mode, that's hardly "working fine."

Typically after changing a motherboard you have to do a repair reinstallation so that setup can configure the Windows installation to match the new hardware it is running on.  After the repair Windows will start into normal mode, which will make the Windows Installer service available, which is not available in Safe Mode.  Typically lower level hardware drivers like motherboard and NIC drivers use their own Setup routine and do not depend upon the Windows Installer service, while many application programs do depend on the WIS to help them get installed.

I would suggest backing up your data, running a repair reinstallation, then doing a telephonic activation, in that order.  If the phone activation system told you about talking to a live activation rep, that's what it is supposed to do.  Maybe you hapened to call in when there was some sort of glitch in the phone system.  Generally during regular business hours you get an activation call center in your country/region, but after hours you get shunted overseas so that might have been where the SNAFU took place.
    • Marked as answer by Nick74_ Friday, July 3, 2009 11:57 PM
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:43 AM
  • If a computer cannot start into normal mode and can barely start into Safe mode, that's hardly "working fine."
    It can start into normal mode fine, but the only thing I can do is activate it once I logon - there are no issues other than my display settings being reset because of the hardware changes.  When I boot into the regular safe mode or safe mode with networking, it says that I have to boot in normal mode and activate it.  However, when I boot into safe mode with command prompt, I can run explorer from the command prompt and it doesn't say anything about activating.  Basically there seems to be nothing wrong with the system itself, it just needs to be activated again and doesn't have the 30 day grace period because it was used up and activated in the past.  When I first booted into safe mode with command prompt it installed most of the drivers from the disc that I had in the drive with the found new hardware wizard, but not the onboard NIC yet.

I am not able to backup the data on the drive right now as I have no other drive with enough free space at this time, however I will try activating it by telephone again tomorrow during normal business hours.  I use a digital phone service so that may be a cause for it not correctly transferring me, as I did call at an time when the US activation center was closed.  I believe the hours were 9:00am to 5:30pm Eastern if I have the correct information.

I'll be logging off for the night at this time and will check back tomorrow.  Thanks for your assistance.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:04 AM
  • I just called an activation center (found a list of phone numbers on the volume licensing site) and they said that it would either cost me $60 to speak to a technician or that I would have to call HP about this and my warranty with HP already expired.  Did I call the wrong place or are there just some new and odd rules saying if my motherboard breaks, I have to buy a new OS?  I tried calling the number in the activation wizard first and surprise, it told me it was not a legitimate key again.  Maybe I'll just have to give the Windows 7 beta a try for now and upgrade that when the time comes.

Thanks again for your help with this issue.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Hello Nick74_,

You are allowed to replace a defective motherboard on a computer without losing your OEM license for XP.

If you had replaced the motherboard in order to gain performance or additional functionality, according to the rues for OEM licenses that would constitute making a new computer, and you are not permitted to move an OEM license to another computer, so you would need to get a new license.

Once the automated system rejects your activation, it is supposed to offer you the chance to connect to a live activation representative.  Once you connect to a rep, explain that the motherboard became defective and that you had to replace it with a non-HP motherboard because an actual replacement for that make and model was not readily available from HP.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:24 AM