none
Cannot login to shared folders on windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent a considerable amount of time searching for an answer to this and I don't understand this problem well enough to figure this out so far.

I have a Windows Home Server (Power Pack 3) on a home network and there are a few computers connected to the same network. The problem I am having is with a computer connected via WiFi and is running Windows 7 (with all current updates). The WHS connector is not installed on this computer (It's not necessary to be having this on this computer).

The Problem: When trying to browse to my Windows Home Server within Windows Explorer, it tries to login with the Username and Password for the notebook. This fails and it asks me to manually do this. The username and password that is being used IS CORRECT. There is no doubt about this. But I get the following message:

Login Failure: Unknown user name or bad password.

Here are the weird things that make no sense to me why I'm having a problem.
    1. The computer in question previously was able to login and browse folders. I really don't know what may have changed on this computer, I don't recall doing anything significant in the last week or two since doing a clean install on this computer, but I had transferred all the drivers, etc. from the WHS to this computer without problems.
    2. A different computer using the same Username and Password (also running Windows 7) has no problems at all accessing the WHS.

Any ideas to point me toward fixing this problem? Thanks!

Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:10 PM

All replies

• Take a look at this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Take a look at this FAQ.

Thank you for your reply.

I had seen that post. I checked this. The "User Name" for the computer account matches the logon name for the WHS account I am trying to use. I don't find anything odd here; this doesn't fix my problem.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Still trying to figure this out.

Today, I got the idea to try logging in as any of the other user accounts set up on the WHS. Still same problem, even with the guest account. This is so confusing.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Hello

I am having exactly the same problems, i can log into my WHS shared folders for long time, and then suddenly it dosent work anymore. The account(s) are not locked out in whs. Also i am not using the connector software, so this is not the problem as the link above refers to.

Update: Well actually i found out that the dates on the two computers must be the same, and then it workes again!

Regards

Odd

• Edited by Thehighlowe Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by stevebor1 Monday, October 3, 2011 3:55 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Hello

I am having exactly the same problems, i can log into my WHS shared folders for long time, and then suddenly it dosent work anymore. The account(s) are not locked out in whs. Also i am not using the connector software, so this is not the problem as the link above refers to.

Update: Well actually i found out that the dates on the two computers must be the same, and then it workes again!

Regards

Odd

Had the exact same problem. I could not login, my account got locked. I unlocked user via Computer Management and still could not login. I came across this post and sure enough, my time/date was wong on the cpmputer I was loggin in from. I updated the time and now it works.
    • Proposed as answer by chucktew Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by chucktew Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:32 AM
    • Proposed as answer by chucktew Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by chucktew Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jeffreez Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:19 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:57 AM
  • I had this problem, reminded me of an anomaly circa 2001-2002.  I used this successfully.

Open a C prompt on the computer determine the IP address  C: IPconfig

from the non responsive computer ping the server (from C: ping 192.xxx.x.x)

now try to log into the server.

This fixed my two wifi remote computers unable to see the server or be seen by the server.

chuck

• Proposed as answer by chucktew Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:38 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:38 AM