Not a valid Windows Vista product key. RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Vista on my new laptop after having a catastrophic hardware failure on my previous one.  I am using a retail copy of Vista (not OEM) which I bought still factory sealed from Microsoft.  When trying to activate my copy of Windows, I am receiving the following message (specifically, when trying to "Change your product key for activation":

The product key you have entered does not appear to be a valid Windows Vista product key.
    Please check your product key, and type it again.

Using the slmgr -dli command, I receive the following response:

Name: Windows(TM) Vista, HomePremium edition
    Description: Windows Operating System, Vista, RETAIL channel
    Partial Product Key: 76PKF
    License Status: Initial grace period
    Time remaining: 39592 minute(s) (27day(s))

I had to install without the product key but now that I have it in hand, changing my product key is not working.

I would much rather speak to Microsoft customer support regarding this, but there is no longer a telephone option available - is there a list somewhere of support numbers I can call, and barring that, can someone provide me with the number of Microsoft customer support in Japan?
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:51 PM

Answers

• It appears you attempted to perform a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium using only an upgrade edition.  That is why you cannot change or enter your Windows Vista Upgrade product key.  To resolve your issue, please visit the follwing web site and follow the instructions: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, September 22, 2008 4:58 PM
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:48 PM