Prevent system from entering sleep/standby during backup... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tested a backup job with SyncToy 2.1 in Win7x64, with my power settings set to make my system enter sleep after two minutes. The backup job was running (a long one - would take much more than two minutes) and the system entered sleep right in the middle of the job! I woke the system up no problem, and the job appeared to continue where it left off. However, this is most disconcerting.

1. Is there a way to "prevent system from entering sleep/standby" during backup jobs?

2. If not, is there a plan to implement this?

Thanks.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi -

This looks like a setting on the power settings ( under what conditions the system can go to sleep). This is not a configuration on SyncToy itself. You should look at the settings and if you cannot figure this out - please post this under the Win7 forums to get the right solution.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi -

This looks like a setting on the power settings ( under what conditions the system can go to sleep). This is not a configuration on SyncToy itself. You should look at the settings and if you cannot figure this out - please post this under the Win7 forums to get the right solution.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:25 AM
  • No, sorry. This is not a solution and it seems you misunderstand my question.

The standby function (Power Settings) are okay. Yes, my system is set to sleep after some number of minutes. However, this does not mean it goes to sleep in the middle of, for example:

a) playing a movie

b) playing an MP3

c) downloading a file

d) using a bittorrent client

e) burning a DVD

The list goes on...

Are you suggesting that everyone who uses SyncToy, unlike any other normal program, needs to manually go in and modify thier power settings every time they use SyncToy, then return those settings to normal afterward?

Almost all programs with automated tasks either a) automatically prevent standby until thier task(s) are complete) or b) have an option to "Prevent standby/sleep while running tasks..."

I believe this is in the right thread.

I'm not a programmer or in the development team for this software, but this seems plainly obvious to me.

What other continuous, long term, data-sensitive application allows the system to enter sleep right in the middle of operation? None.

SyncToy needs to be written to - like every other proper application - register itself as a priority that hold off any system power management scheduled events until after completion of tasks.

This is an issue with SyncToy, not Power Settings.

Any further ideas?

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

I tested a backup job with SyncToy 2.1 in Win7x64, with my power settings set to make my system enter sleep after two minutes. The backup job was running (a long one - would take much more than two minutes) and the system entered sleep right in the middle of the job! I woke the system up no problem, and the job appeared to continue where it left off. However, this is most disconcerting.

1. Is there a way to "prevent system from entering sleep/standby" during backup jobs?

Thanks.
    I would like to know this as well.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:24 AM
  • C'mon guys, do you expect M$ to fix this? Nah! Find some other solution ;)
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Did you ever solve this problem?  I have the same issue and it is quite annoying.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

Count me in on this one as well.  A solution/resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, June 15, 2012 10:07 PM