Vista control panel

Question

• I just installed my brand new computer yesterday with Windows Vista on it. Already I am having problems. I cannot click on any link that brings me to the control panel, including the control panel icon itself. It flashes and closes and I cannot change ANYTHING that I would change through the panel. Has anyone experienced this problem and is there a fix I can do????
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:27 AM

All replies

• what make of pc is it? if its toshiba then you might have needed to reeboot before logging on for the first time.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 8:03 AM
  • It is a Dell XPS 210. The control panel pops up when I start/restart my computer, but if I close it I cannot get it back up again. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

I also experienced the Control Panel Problems (Control Panel Window opened just to disappear again before even showing any Icons and Printers icon disappeared from Start Menu). I Googled for a solution with no reasonable solution.

I tried switching User profiles to determin if this was a user profile specific issue but found that the secondary profile was causing exactly the same problems.

I found some articles pointing to NVIDIA driver issues (Some system files being overwritten) but having a high end Intel motherboard with Intel Pro chipset I only gave this about 25% chance of being the cause. Just to mention, I also had to download the latest drivers for my motherboard as the system utility disk did not have any Vista support (It is unlikely that Intel would post drivers which would not have been thoroughly tested and if so (Any problems I mean), surely some indication of this would be listed under Google!). I did not waste my time investigating this area. Just to mention, I have an Intel DG965WL motherboard. Usually I sell my equipment every six months to make room for something newer. The onboard display allows me to do this (Most people in Namibia are not willing to spend any money on a quality Display card). I have great MSI PCI Express Add-On cards but have not install any so far because Vista seems to fully function as is and I have not tried any Games or CAD software which required a better option. Most of my problems are with usability (A lot of features I used under XP have been changed or not yet been incorporated). I am not against change as long as it is possitive.

In any case, I backtraced my installations and found that my problem was caused by my Canon i9950 drivers/software. Vista complained about possible driver issues during installation (But so it did with much else) but I told the setup to ignore any issues and continue with installation. I have to yet see if updated drivers are available.

What I am trying to point out is that the best way to determin and conquer Vista issues is to install as little as possible and see if Vista plays nicely with your intergrated mainboard hardware/software. If so, then slowly add more hardware and see how your Control Panel and other areas of Windows function. Best is to give each installation a day or 2 to to determin if any problems appear. I understand this might be difficult as I myself have tons of hardware and software (As myself). My main disappointment at present is with network preformance. Having benchmarked XP to and from Novell Suse Linux Systems, I am very disappointed with the performance. This might however be a Intel driver issue. To early to judge as I don't recommend any system earlier than 6 months from its local release dates and until I have at least fully tested it on 3 of my own machines. 

Kind Regards

Volker Bause (Windhoek, Namibia)

Monday, March 19, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Hello.

I am experiencing this same problem.  As Volker suggests, I have an nVidia mobo AND an nVidia video card...  nevertheless, my symptoms appear identical.  It may be most of us are having the problem because of some installer or another corrupting Vista .dlls or other system files, because my symptoms include some other things:

1) The VISTA control panel doesn't appear if I click on it. (nVidia CPL works fine)
    2) If I make the Vista control panel a menu, it says "empty".
    3) "Personalize" in the Vista main context menu doesn't appear when clicked on.
    4) If I make administrative tools appear in the start menu, it doesn't.
    5) SOMETIMES when I restart, this problem is resolved until the next restart.
    6) My printers show up, but can't print.

In my case, the problem shows up when I install either my video or chipset drivers, so unfortunately, I MUST install these things...  no option - as Volker suggests - to triage it out.  Hopefully someone figures this out soon...  but unfortunately, so few of us seem to have the problem that it probably won't get attention for some time.

Here are some links to look at:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=34&threadid=2009171
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=27571

QX6700 (@3.46)
    ASUS P5N32E-SLI
    EVGA 8800GTX (1@Stock)
    2048 Dominator 8500C5D (@1066)
    Raptor X (2@RAID-0)
    Tagan TG1100-U96, 1100W
    Coolermaster Mini R80
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:09 PM
  • We have EXACTLY the same problem, it's actually wider than that, there are problems with WMP also.  We have to re-install the video adapter and/or the chipset and sometimes the printer too for it to work, and then it falls over again, sometimes a few hours later, sometimes when the machines are re-booted.  (Which is a bit of a pig, because you have to start the "Add Hardware" Wizard CPL from the command prompt).

And nothing in our machines is Nvidia at all.  Q965 chipset, on-board Intel graphics adapter.

Dell product support is trying to help us with this, my strong suggestion is that anyone having this problem contact the OEM of their PC and whomever made the video adapter if you've got a separate one, as this appears to be quite a widespread problem.  More information they have the faster a solution will be found.

My best suggestion at the moment is to try it with the standard VGA driver, this may cause you all kinds of video problems, but try it for awhile and see if the problem re-occurs.  It will help pin down whether it's hardware/video adapter software/chipset software/Windows Vista.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:35 PM
  • Here is a workaround:

1) Launch services.msc from a run command
    2) Find the SLUNotify service & stop it
    3) Find the Software Licensing service & stop it (it may say that ReadyBoost needs that service to run; stop it anyway)
    4) Restart both services, starting with Software Licensing

That's all. No reboot needed. Kudos to Toby at the nVidia forums.

-------------------------
    QX6700 (@3.46)
    ASUS P5N32E-SLI
    EVGA 8800GTX (1@Stock)
    Raptor X (2@RAID-0)
    Tagan TG1100-U96, 1100W
    Coolermaster Mini R80
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try it, but we have a lot of machines with this problem, even if I script it, it's not really a long-term solution.

Dell replaced one of the motherboards in the affected systems, this appears (so far) to have fixed it, but we have absolutely no clue why.  I find it hard to believe that only our machines shipped with defective motherboards.

Perhaps there is some hardware problem or something in the hardware that only comes out when Vista and the new driver is used?  It's the only thing I can think of.  The only similarity in environments I can see is that we're all using Vista with third-party drivers.

We have two otherwise identical systems using ATI Radeon X1300 adapters that do not have this problem.  They're using the driver included in Vista.

Some common programming error in the new drivers perhaps?  But it still doesn't explain why replacing one motherboard appeared to cure the problem.

I have no idea really, it's totally bizarre.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:45 PM
  • I'm getting a clue as to what the problem is here, it's a possibility that some third-party drivers screw up some Vista file, which is why the problem won't go away if you install the latest driver or go to the standard VGA driver.  If you re-install Vista and then use the latest driver from scratch, it might solve it, provided the latest driver works.

Anyone got the URL for the thread on the NVidia support forum?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:18 PM
  • I guess that it is this one:

Søren D.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 8:56 AM
  • Thanks.  Not sure it helps much though, those two files mentioned in the thread are present on our machines, but they don't appear to be corrupted or the incorrect file.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 1:22 PM
  • "Here is a workaround:

3) Find the Software Licensing service & stop it (it may say that ReadyBoost needs that service to run; stop it anyway)

That's all. No reboot needed. Kudos to Toby at the nVidia forums."

I was experiencing this issue (Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Asus P5B (Intel P965), Core 2 E6600, GeForce 7900GT). I went to stop the services and found they weren't even started (and they were set on manual startup). I just started the SL UI service (automatically started the other one itself) and Control Panel worked like a charm. I've set them both to Automatic Startup and if the problem with the Control Panel being Empty for me recurs then I'll try this method; if the method fails I'll reply here. Also, I was using the 100.65 drivers for the 7900GT.
    Monday, April 02, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Yeah, that works for us too, I have no idea why, but they do fall over again sometimes on re-boot.  Bear in mind we aren't using anything even remotely NVidia, this is all Intel.

Frankly I'm sick to the back teeth of it, I've ordered a bunch of ATI cards today for all the affected machines, that will work.  I haven't got time to sit around waiting for Intel to write drivers that work for their own chipset.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Since it's a universal problem that affects different configurations, I'm going to assume that the problem is with Vista.  The software licensing service and the related SL UI needs to be patched.  It seems to be - on most reboots - launching in reduced capabilities mode as if you hadn't registered or validated the OS.  This is probably an easy fix, but it doesn't look like enough of us have the problem to justify a patch...  at least not yet.  I doubt that Intel or nVidia are responsible, and I would be surprised if buying ATI cards will solve it.
    Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:11 AM
  • It does solve it, we've already tested it, we have two with ATI Radeon X1300 cards in them and they work fine.  The reason why I think is because there is a driver built into Vista for them.  This problem only seems to affect third-party drivers, so my thinking is that there is something different about Vista that the programmers for these companies are not aware of.

However I would agree that Microsoft needs to get involved, Nvidia and Intel are not exactly small fry when it comes to writing drivers!

Thursday, April 05, 2007 2:12 PM
  • That makes sense.  Even the nVidia WHQL drivers for Vista are sloppy & are producing this problem.  I have ensured that they are to blame by multiple re-installations of Vista.  Regardless of if I install chipset first or video first, I immediately receive the host of errors (it's much more than a missing control panel, but that's the most obvious). 

WHQL doesn't mean much these days.  MS really needs to get more people on these errors and in these forums.

Cheers for the heads-up on ATI.  I have been such a loyal nVidia customer (and probably will be despite all this), but I think being late in the market(s) gives ATI a specific advantage.  I am just leery that they paired themselves with AMD during their "recession".

Cheers,

d

QX6700 (@3.46)
    ASUS P5N32E-SLI
    EVGA 8800GTX (1@Stock)
    Raptor X (2@RAID-0)
    Tagan TG1100-U96, 1100W
    Coolermaster Mini R80
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Thursday, April 05, 2007 7:37 PM
  •  

Hi Volker

You certainly seem to know what are you talking about, so i wonder if you can help me out...

I bought a dell dimensions computer with vista, but so far I've had nothing but trouble!

Everytime i am using the internet it suddenly disconnects and then starts again on the homepage - it almost feels like there is a loose connection.  It is really irritating.  Also a sign keeps coming up saying 'drivers are incompatible and will be disabled'.  Dell says these are teething problems with Vista, but i don't really want to keep a computer with so many problems. 

I would be interested to know what you think - or anyone else who has experienced similar problems with Vista.

Thanks very much

Friday, April 06, 2007 7:20 PM
  •  

Hi there

I wonder if you can help - i bought a dell dimensions with Vista but have had a few problems; the internet just cuts out intermittently and then reconnects - but it reconnects to the home page, not the one i was looking at. 

Is this something you are familiar with?

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks

Friday, April 06, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Some more detail would be nice.  Answer the following to the best of your ability:

1) Are you connecting through a wireless or wired connection?
    2) How long between disconnect & reconnect?
    3) Do you have the same (Explorer) window open when it reconnects?
        3a) If yes, does it revert to YOUR homepage or the Dell homepage?
        3b) If no, does it automatically launch a new window?
    4) Is your network card onboard or is it separate (you may have to open your box to see this)?
    5) Have you checked to see if you have the most up-to-date drivers?
        5a) Have you checked Dell's website for drivers?
        5b) Have you checked the network card mfgr's website?  (Find the mfgr by Start>Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Network Adapters...  while there, pull the driver version from the driver tab & post it here).
    6) What firewall/virus scan are you using?  Try disabling both & see what happens.
    7) Are you on a LAN or running through a domestic router to connect to the internet?
        7a) Does the router have a firewall?
        7b) Can other computers connect to the internet through the LAN/router?

Vista is teething, but it's a silly excuse for tech support to give you.  We'll work through this and find the solution they can't give you because of their idiocy.

Cheers,

d

QX6700 (@3.46)
    ASUS P5N32E-SLI
    EVGA 8800GTX (1@Stock)
    Raptor X (2@RAID-0)
    Tagan TG1100-U96, 1100W
    Coolermaster Mini R80
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Friday, April 06, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Try deleting the adapter from network communications and then re-installing it.  Also try turning off IP v6 in the network properties.  Might help.  One bug I have found for certain in Vista is that when you set a static IP address, Vista forgets the gateway setting and you have to put it in again.

I haven't had any problems with dynamic IP address assignment after turning off IP v6 (which shouldn't be necessary, but I've found it slows the whole thing down), your problem however sounds like a third party driver problem.  Quickest solution is to go to the OEM website of whomever made the network card or modem you are using and try installing the latest driver - Dell are usually a month behind.  Check in Device Manager for the name and spec of the component.

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:46 AM
  • I have an ATI x1600 Pro, and I have this problem. It started after the last Windows Update.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:03 PM
  • The video problem?  We've got this problem on PCs straight out of the box and on ones we've wiped and re-installed from scratch, so I'm certain it's not an updated file problem, that was one of the first things I tested.

Sure it's not a driver update?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:38 PM
  • I am having the same issue with regards to the control panel not appearing, also seems to effect all Vista built in games with the exception of Inkball?

I have found that I can access individual parts of the control panel from the folder drop down menu to the left of the computer folder.

With regards to my issue I do have an Nvidia graphics card (8800GTS), but the problem didn't arise until about a week into using the computer, no addition software, drivers or otherwise have been installed immediately prior to this issue.

Any ideas?

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:57 PM
  • As above, Start->Run->services.msc set the SL UI service and the software licensing service to Automatic and restart them.

If that doesn't work, you've got a different problem.

By the way, we've now put ATI Radeon X1300 adapters into all our Vista machines and they all work fine now, using the built-in driver.

Friday, April 13, 2007 4:30 PM
  • I was having the same problem as everyone else with not being able to access the control panel.  This solution worked well for me.  Thanks!
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Restarting SL UI Notify service and Software Licensing service solved the issue for me as well.

Abit AW9D Max mobo, X6800 cpu, GeForce 8800 GTX with 158.18 drivers, X-FI using the latest drivers with OpenAL support. I think that in my case the issue was due to toggling OpenAL support for World of Warcraft, using ALchemy, that caused the services to shutdown.

I'm trying to determine if I want to use WOW's software sound support or the ALchemy hack. Playing with the sound settings in WOW causes system crashes, i.e. hard lock, forcing a system reset using the power button. My services may have been shut down as a result of one of theses crashes.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:43 PM
  •  Dostoyevsky77 wrote:
    That makes sense.  Even the nVidia WHQL drivers for Vista are sloppy & are producing this problem.  I have ensured that they are to blame by multiple re-installations of Vista.  Regardless of if I install chipset first or video first, I immediately receive the host of errors (it's much more than a missing control panel, but that's the most obvious). 

WHQL doesn't mean much these days.  MS really needs to get more people on these errors and in these forums.

Cheers for the heads-up on ATI.  I have been such a loyal nVidia customer (and probably will be despite all this), but I think being late in the market(s) gives ATI a specific advantage.  I am just leery that they paired themselves with AMD during their "recession".

To add, I switched from an ASUS mobo with Nvidia's NForce 4 x16 chipset to an intel 975 and a lot of issues went away, note that the NForce board works fine in Windows XP. The 158.18 drivers for their 8800GTX also helped a lot. Bottom line, NVidia is really behind on their drivers at the moment. I'm not a fanboi of either ATI or NVidia, I just go with the best at the time. ATI's R600 sounds very tempting at the moment, if they ever ship.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Hi All,

For information, I'm installing Windows Vista Business on a HP DC7700 small form factor PC.  This has an Intel-based motherboard (965 chipset/graphics, 82566DM NIC, Realtek HD Audio).  Through trial and error, I've determined that installing Intel's NIC drivers causes Control Panel to stop showing icons.

To identify the culprit, look for "DriverVer   = 01/18/2007,8.2.4.0" in e1g6032.inf

Removing drivers (most simply by simply right-clicking the NIC in Device Manager, choose Uninstall and remove drivers) fixes the problem.

Kind regards,

Anwar

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 1:34 PM
  •      I happen to have the same problem as everyone but i dont really have the same symptoms, and moreover the same solutions.

at the office i work in i was uninstalling some of the extra fat that hp puts in with these computers and i ran msconfig to try to get of all of those programs from the startup, I've done it in all the computers but in this particular computer, it gave me this problem.

i cant access the properties of my computer to try to reach the device manager and i cant access the control panel. I dont really consider not being to access, instead not being able to see... i cant really just reinstall any new driver or anything or just reformat, so i need a downloading solution. maybe a driver or something that i can use to bring it all back to normal. (it also went back to the windows 9x skin instead of the vista)

if anyone could please help as soon as possible... im here waiting at work lol

Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Right-click on "Computer", choose "Manage", and then you can access Device Manager, you don't need to do it via properties.
    Friday, May 04, 2007 2:12 PM
  • Hi.  So, have you resolved your problem with Control panel?

Encountered the same with our 945-based system. As most of the devices were detected by VISTA i.e. VGA, LAN, Audio, there is no need to load any drivers.  However, bcos of problem, we downloaded Intel Chipset and VGA drivers as well as Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet drivers, and had them loaded onto our system. Initially, the problem seemed to have disappeared but after several restarts or power off and on, we still see the cannot activate Control Panel problem.

Since you reported problem in Feb-07, presume you must have resolve your problems.  If you have, can you advise how it was done?

Monday, May 07, 2007 9:07 AM
  • The solution is listed above, set the software licensing and SL UI services to automatic and restart them.  If you've got Active Directory on your domain, you can create a GPO that does this.

Use gpmc.msc or gpedit.msc to create a GPO that applies to the entire forest or to the OU where your Vista machine accounts reside.  In Computer Configuration, go to Window Settings->Security Settings->System Services and set the software licensing and SL UI services to automatic.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Here is a temporary fix until microsoft fixes this problem

copy/save this batch file and make sure you right click on it and run it as Administrator, Don't just click-click-click allow it time to shut down or restart each service (3-5 seconds) before hitting enter to the next command

pause

sc stop EMDMgmt

pause

sc stop SLUINotify

pause

sc stop slsvc

pause

sc start slsvc

pause

sc start SLUINotify

pause

sc start EMDMgmt

pause

works for the 70 year old lady I wrote it for when she also can't bring up her games.

Microsoft please fix this

Sunday, May 13, 2007 6:21 PM
  • So i was having these symptoms with the control panel & the personalize context menu

to fix it start up Services and go to Software Licensing and restart the service

wich will in turn ask to stop and restart other services this has worked for me

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:21 PM
  • I wish I was smart enough to be able to automate this process...but I'm not.

I know how to put 2 and 2 together... but usually only end up with only 22 as a result.

This problem with disappearing [empty] windows also happened to me.

While using the work-around listed above...I noticed in the services manager that there is a tab titled "Recovery" where you can specify a "program" to run when there is a failure to start a service.

I don't know if this "Run" will also launch a batch file as Tazzi suggests. If it can...it would be nice to be notified [a dialog or something] when the break/auto-fix is applied.

Maybe one of you "more intelligent" posters can figure this out and respond here if you get an automated system to work for us...until MicroSoft comes up with a patch.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:27 PM
  • I just put a shortcut to this batch file on the desktop (you could just save it to your desktop also).  And just double click on it from there (desktop).

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Having the same problem, went to a system restore, and tracked it to the Silicon Image drivers for the external RAID on my Striker ASUS motherboard.  If I go to a restore before that install, no problems.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Hi Shadrackc,

I too have the disappering control panel problem but haven't had the time to truy the above fix. Even more because yesterday everthing was fine and today I had the problem again and the only fix i knew of was to reinstall the nivida drivers. This works but I get the error again after it at random time. Today is even special cause after i reinstalled the drivers may pc rebooted and at POST I got a red warning of my raid controler and now my vista is just gone.

The reason I reply on your post is that I own an ASUS striker extreme nforce 680i mobo. Vista also indicates that there is a problem with the silicon raid controler but the vista device manager shows no red cross or any yellow question mark.

I have PNY geforce 8800 GTX and I think the problem starts after windows update itself installs a new video driver which make vista to recognise the GTX (you could say a WHQL driver for the 8800 GTX).

Anyway I do need to reinstall vista (business) again tonight and i'll will choose for only to install essential updates. BTW I have the problem in Vista 64bit too :-(

Just one question to the others: does the above fix works pemantly or does the error shows up again at a later time ?

bye

Monday, July 02, 2007 3:47 PM
  • I have also been having this problem (intermittently - about 2/3 of time) with my new PC (custom build by Scan 3XS). On the support advice from Scan, I've set up a script to run like Tazzi's (thanks) which is a workaround, but does not fix the issue as I have to run each on each boot when the problem arises. At least it is easy to spot as the Welcome Center does not start (assuming you keep it on at boot up). As well as control panel it also wipes out printing services

Curiously, I set up a new (non-admin) user on the machine and this new account never has had the problem. Does anyone know how I can easily compare user profiles to see what the differences are, or whether this helps anyone isolate the problem?

There appears to be a hotfix suggested here (related to Nero s/w)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936686/en-us

but I have not tried this yet as you need to get the download from contacting MS support.

Searching forums this seems to be an issue for a number of mobo's/CPU/GPUs and s/w. Come on Microsoft!

---

Q6600 (@2.8)

ASUS P5B-Deluxe Wifi AP (@311)

XFX 8800GTS XXX

2048 Dominator 8500C5D (@1037)

2x WD Raptor 150GB in RAID0

Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:02 AM
  • This 'Control Panel' issue has become my Achilles' Heel of computer issues.

After about a decade of XP, P4 2.0, 17 CRT monitor, and the like... I decided to go for the gold and upgrade both computer, OS and monitor. I spend over $1g for the creme de la creme compilation. I couldn't be happier, asides from the Control Panel not wanting to load. It didn't take too much time to Google a guise of a fix. Little did I know, I had to keep repeating this "fix". Most of the time, when I do need the Control Panel, I have to go into 'Services' and do a re-start like noted in this thread. Like you all, it's become an irritant to me.

My computer was a pre-build with Vista Home Premium(32 bit). I'm running Vista approved software as well. 

My current system:

- Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHZ Procssor S775 8MB CACHE 1066MHZ FSB Retail
    - Intel® BOXDQ965GFEKR M-ATX Pentium® D PCI-E S775 Motherboard
    - 2 GB (2*1024MB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Memory
    - On-board Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics
    - On-board 6 Channel (Sigma Tel 5.1) Audio / GB LAN / 1394A / USB

Included bundled software:

-Nero 7 Essentials

Extra current software, crafted for Vista:

-Corel Paint Shop Pro XI
    -CCleaner
    -Java
    -McAfee AV

By reading through the posts, there was an apparent connection to NVidea... well, that's not the case with mine. I'm wondering if Nero has something to do with it?

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 2:05 AM
  • I just built a new machine. I am not running Nero. I do have the control panel problem.

ASUS Pk5c MOBO

Intel 6850 Core2 Duo

4 GB Corsair

150GB Raptor HD

Pioneer CD/DVD

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:08 AM
  • Just so we're all on the same page: does restarting Software Licensing & SLUNotify work for everyone?  If yes, it souds like we've narrowed-down the problem enough that MS should be able to jump on it.  I look forward to a fix soon (cough).

Cheers,

d

QX6700 (3.46, 13x1066, 1.4125v, Zalman 9700 LED)
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI 680i (1203, NB Tt Extreme Spirit II)
    2x1GB Dominator 8500C5D (800, 4-4-4-8-1T, 2.2v)
    EVGA 8800GTX (162.22, Thermalright HR-03 Plus)
    Tagan TG1100-U96 (1.1 Gigawatt PSU)
    Raptor X (2 at RAID-0)
    Vista Ultimate x86 3DMark06: 12296
    Wednesday, September 05, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Well, I guess that rules out Nero, thanks. It's in Microsoft's corner then.

When I booted today, I had the welcome screen and CP working.
    Usually, when they don't... I just have to only restart 'Software Licensing' and then I'm good to go.

Oh, my 'SL UI Notification' is set 'Manual'. It was always set on 'Manual', but today I got the welcome screen and the panel with no issues. There's definitely something at play with the software management as I don't ever have to restart any other service, other than 'Software Licensing', to fetch the panels.

Friday, September 07, 2007 1:25 AM
  • I am trying to help my sister  who has this disapearing control panel, personalization, and other disapearing items as well. I have tried the liscencing fix but no joy, as well as attempting to use system restore on her Compaq Presario SR2150NX new computer (4 months old). I cant believe they sold it with only 512 Mb shared! System restore come up with error that it can not complete restore for an unspecified reason. I am doing this remoteley by phone and IM, have tried remote assistance but it immeadiately says that remote user cancelled connection when she did not. Did apply a MS fix for remote assist which got me to that point. I am sendinding her 2Gb memory to install hoping that will help problem. She is now also having not enough memory message problems now as well. Can O Worms. May also send her a Video Card along with memory to see if that cure problem with this machine.

Of note the control panel is visible in safe mode but due to limited functionality in safe mode not much can be done there, or can there be more than I know about?

This is Vista Home Basic

Hardware
    Base processor Celeron 356 (C) 3.33 GHz
    533 MHz front side bus Socket 775 Chipset
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 for Intel Processors
    Motherboard Manufacturer: ECS Motherboard Name: RC415ST-HM
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Alhena5-GL6
    Memory Component  Attributes  Memory Installed 512 MB
    Maximum allowed 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)  Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
    Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive 120 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Friday, September 07, 2007 4:08 PM
  • Maybe worth trying this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686/en-us

Just tried the above hotfix & its worked also i don't have nero software on my pc (this hotfix says its for nero software).

Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:30 PM
  •  Dostoyevsky77 wrote:
    Here is a workaround:

This worked for me, too, thank you VERY much.

i actually made the problem strike on my own by disabling what seemed to be another resource wasting service, but... It says right on the tin:

"Enables the download, installation and enforcement of digital licenses for Windows and Windows applications. If the service is disabled, the operating system and licensed applications may run in a reduced function mode."

(my emphasis)

System:
    1. i have Vista Business 32-bit
    2. i have nVidia Go 7400 chipset
    on my
    3. Sony Vaio VGN-SZ330P laptop
    with
    4. 2GB of RAM and a boatload of audio production and graphics software installed
    and
    5. This is really frickin' stupid.

i cannot wait for the day when all this insane obsession with software licensing protection and forced upgrade cycles finally snaps and it no longer matters. but i do have to wait. and i'll likely be dead before then.

i worked on a room filled with 12 of the SAME EXACT Dell Optiplex model. You could start them up in pairs (or fours, with another set of hands and good co-ordination) and they would still boot differently and develop different behavioral problems from each other. There were only two variables: there were scanners on three machines and therefore the software was also different on those three. But that still doesn't explain the rest.

On top of the way it was with WinXP, now we have twice as many Windows System Services, the registry still exists (with all of its massive duplication of content and non-human readable complexity) AND a new pile of system folders that never existed before and a footprint that is more than twice the predicessor. What was the count on lines of code in XP again? What are we at with Vista and its three sisters? Who keeps track of all this again? What team? (i actually visited the most crusty of Windows applications when Vista came out to see if the code had been touched in six years and this is the first time some of it has seen an update other than getting DLL and EXE version numbers iterated, so i have to give points to the manager(s) who oversaw that there was a more complete and sweaping look at the OS as a whole and caught on to the embarassment of the lack of system unity by giving us a universal "About" box with all the same info including who the product has been licensed to under their terms...), on top of that, i have THREE dongle-demanding software packages, two USB/Firewire DVDR drives, one USB/Firewire external HD and several USB/Firewire audio devices that move from this machine to my studio machine and back depending on where i want to work. Each time they "upgrade," they have to foist more and more reasons TO BUY IT, which leads to the forced upgrade of everything if you want to upgrade ONE thing (and maybe the throwing away of a lot of things if you want to upgrade a few things) while the real advances have been few and  far between babysteps (look at this industry compared to most of the others and you can see that it is still mostly in its infantsy).

My point is the complexity and the lack of intentional, intelligent design (pun intended) from the ground up has ground me up (second pun not intended). Ground meat-like by-product.

Depending on your definition of "life," we already HAVE artificial life. This stuff is so over-complicated that there is no way to look at it as a machine with predictable cause and effect. It behaves more biologically and organically than mechanically (compared to some forms of life, like single cell organisms and sponges, it IS more complex and alive). It's kind of curious, maybe even neat, from an outside perspective, but totally and utterly unnecessary and completely unreliable and maddening. Of course, if these companies set out to create artificial life, it wouldn't have worked, so congratulations to all parties for accomplishing an interesting side effect. Now, sterilize it before it sterilizes us.

Am i the only tech person who is just plain sick of it? About 20 years with computers and i've had my fill of the BS. i should have been a plumber or a bricklayer. Maybe i still could be... no... body's starting to give up early...

Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:15 PM
  • Please add HP dv2000 turtionx2 chip to this list. Pesky problem. Need to get mobile centre. can notfo that with no CPL.
    Does anyone have an answer yet or is this going to be an SP pack update?
    Ivan
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Hi guys,

Hope you can help me here. We have the same problems with our motherboards where when the system enters windows, the Welcome Screen is not shown and the Control Panel cannot be accessed ( it just terminates itself in split second) after it's run.

For temporary solution, the restart of the slsvc can be used. But is there a way to restart the service everytime the system enter Windows? I can make it to run the batch file to restart the service. But problem is this batch file needs user to press Y to terminate the service before it can be restarted. And will UAC block the batch file from running?
    Friday, September 14, 2007 4:10 AM
  • Have anyone read my post?

This fixes the problem.

I had the same problem as most of you seem to have & the above hotfix fixes the issue such as the control panel not opening & welcome centre not loading.

Ignore what it says about "nero" as i have never had "nero" on my sytem,as well as it fixing "nero" it also fixes the control centre & welcome centre problems.

Friday, September 14, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Try getting to controll panel in windows explorer that is the only way i can do it

Zoo

Friday, September 14, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Outstanding.  I am currently applying for the hotfix.  I must say, however, that for whatever reason, I have no encountered the issue in quite some time.  I wonder if there was a Windows Update addressing the issue.  I am d/ling the hotfix in case I have a problem in the future.

Vista Ultimate x86 3DMark06: 13145
    QX6700 (Lapped, 3.54, 11x320, 1.425v, lapped, Tuniq 120)
    EVGA 8800GTX (630/2060, 162.22, Thermalright HR-03 Plus)
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI 680i (1203, NB Tt Extreme Spirit II)
    2x1GB Dominator 8500C5D (800, 4-4-4-8-1T, 2.2v)
    Tagan TG1100-U96 (1.1 Gigawatt PSU)
    Raptor X (2 at RAID-0)
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Nope, the last normal updates have not fixed the issue at hand. Well, not for me at any rate. I almost thought the last update had set things straight due to my panels showing up for the last few boots, but today the panels were back to hiding out. I haven't had any other issues asides from the spontaneous no show panels and I've grown weary of having to restart the 'Software Licensing' service.

It just thorns my side even though it may be perceived as a small annoyance. I really feel for those who may not be relatively computer savvy like the rest of us and don't know what to do or where to find relevant information.

Like most of you, I'm going to apply for the noted hotfix. I do have a bundled Nero package, but I've never witnessed anything in my error logs to associate Nero with the problem. Furthermore, I trust the sentiment of the person that had the panel problem in fresh computers with no Nero programs installed.
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 3:47 AM
  •  

How mant people and machines on here have upgraded to MSN Messenger live and then had the problem occur? Please e-mail me at dave@computersathomeusa.com . Please post here as well

Dave the Computer Guy

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:32 AM
  • I, for one, haven't even initiated the download of the Messenger or any others for that matter. I prefer to converse via e-mail, I find e-mails to be less obtrusive than a bunch of pop-ups and noises.
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:23 AM
  • I thought my hotfix arrived today, but I was wrong:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

I apologize for the delay in our response to your issue. Due to an increase in requests, our response time is longer than usual. I appreciate your patience in this regard.

I understand from your message that you would like to obtain the hotfix in KB article 936686.

Please note, the hotfix in KB article 936686 is not available for download.

You have several options for contacting technical support, which include Self-Help Resources and Assisted Support. You may try to resolve the problem on your own using the no-charge self-help resources listed below. However, if you prefer assistance from a Microsoft Support Professional, please choose the Assisted Support option mentioned below..."

Can someone please help this Silly Billy in aquiring the hotfix? Did I use the wrong KB number or should I just blame it on the customer service person?

Saturday, September 15, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Click on this link below.

Look for resolution and you should see this below.

929637 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929637/) Error message during Windows Vista startup if the Nero InCD program is installed and if the "Special pool" feature is enabled in the Driver Verifier utility: "Stop 00000050"

Click on 929637

Then scroll down to resolution "Hotfix information" and click the link below.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451

Then follow the steps & use the KB article number 929637

Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Thank you very much for that, there were no mistakes this time around.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:13 AM
  •  

Hi All,

The Saga continues here...no luck with any solutions... Even the above hotfix.

Just to recap...I have tried the liscencing fix but no joy, as well as attempting to use system restore on Compaq Presario SR2150NX new computer (4 months old). I cant believe they sold it with only 512 Mb shared! System restore come up with error that it can not complete restore for an unspecified reason. I am doing this remoteley by phone and IM, have tried remote assistance but it immeadiately says that remote user cancelled connection when she did not. Did apply a MS fix for remote assist which got me to that point.  Upgraded to 2Gb memory Installed hoping that will help problem, No Luck, Video Card has not been installed yet to see if that cures prob but dont think that will cure problem with this machine.

Also have run AVG AV and AVG AS and AVG ANtiRookit and HOUSECALL6.6 from Trend Micro 22 grayware found 1 Malware - Hotbar Toolbar which were all removed.

Of note the control panel is visible in safe mode but due to limited functionality in safe mode not much can be done there, or can there be more than I know about?

This is Vista Home Basic

Hardware
    Base processor Celeron 356 (C) 3.33 GHz
    533 MHz front side bus Socket 775 Chipset
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 for Intel Processors
    Motherboard Manufacturer: ECS Motherboard Name: RC415ST-HM
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Alhena5-GL6
    Memory Component  Attributes  Memory Installed 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive 120 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm

*** I also found that if:

right-click on the start menu, choose
    Properties, then hit the Customize button. Scroll through the list of items
    showing in the start menu and make sure the Control Panel is set to Display
    as a link or menu, and not set to "Don't display this item" This was of no help on this machine but may be of interest to others

**** Also ran SFC for Vista but results say that only 98% of SFC ran with no problems detected...Question is why only 98%??? Is this correct operational Limit????

How to Run SFC:

Type  "cmd" into the Search box above the Start Button>and when cmd comes up
    at the top of the Start menu>right click cmd and click "run as Admin" and
    when the cmd prompt comes up at the cmd prompt type "sfc /scannow" no quotes
    and let it run.  This may fix things quite a bit. It replaces corrupt files
    with intact ones, if you're not familiar with it.

I found this Item in other forums and need to try it on that machine I did look in my Vista Laptop but did not see this - dont know if it applies to Vista or XP

There is a list of hidden CPLs (Control Panel applet) are kept in the registry. You can reset the listing by editing the registry directly. Follow these steps:

Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    Navigate to the following location:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ don't load

Backup the branch using the Export option under File menu
    In the right pane, delete all the values whose data is set to no
    Close Regedit.exe

I tried this below but Add/Remove programs did not run or show up - also got this from another forum

In run command under accessories type appwiz.cpl to get the add/remove programs

Below is the list of hotfixes including the one that has to be e-mailed acces from Microsoft It ran but no luck - also results of attemping to run each hotfix is listed by associated 1.

312948_intl_i386_zip ran o.k. after unzipping
    Windows6.0-KB937385-x86 Ran - error message not applicable to this system
    Windows6.0-KB938194-x86 Ran no problem but did not fix it
    Windows6.0-KB938979-x86 Ran - error message not applicable to this system

At this point will run regedit on the problem machine and then search for *.cpl 's to see if any other control panel items will work by calling them sepeately

also want to ask if anyone knows of the group policy setting location that may control whether this is shown or not.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:06 PM
  • I've found the hotfix Windows6.0_KB929637_x86.msu at http://thehotfixshare.net because I can't wait for Microsoft to respond. But the fix is not good. The problem persists. I've got a new fix Windows6.0-KB929637-v2-x86.msu from a valid Microsoft source and will test it out ASAP.

The MD5 for this file is: 8de918eb440aebc406019e64ec8d93d5
    Monday, September 17, 2007 5:49 AM
  • ^ Indeed, the 'Windows6.0-KB929637-v2-x86.msu' is the one that I had received from Microsoft for the specific problem.

I received the noted e-mail hotfix early this morning, but I wanted to perform some random reboots the entire day in order to make the assumption that all is well. So far, my welcome/control panels have worked without a hitch.

Dave1ee
    Also ran SFC for Vista but results say that only 98% of SFC ran with no problems detected...Question is why only 98%??? Is this correct operational Limit????

I just did the scan for comparison sake to yours and mine ended at 99%. I can't recall if the percentile is accurate during the times I did the scan in the past. I suppose I can do another one during the next reboot to note any variation.

You were inquiring about group settings, I don't know if this will help, but you could try reading this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=41dc179b-3328-4350-ade1-c0d9289f09ef&displaylang=en

I'm afraid that I can't lend any advice to your problem as the hotfix seems to have remedied the problem for me.

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:40 AM
  • I had similar issues with Vista not allowing me to get into Control Panel.  Control Panel would lock up and never display any icons.  I also noticed the machine was slow (it's new--got it yesterday) and Windows Media Player was not playing AVI video files.

Getting rid of the print driver has so far solved all of my problems.  I have a Canon i90 that I bought three years ago.  I had compatibility issues when installing it with Vista.  Now I know what happens if you install stuff that's not compatible with Vista.

Windows Vista Home Basic, 1024 MB ram DDR2, 667, 80G hard drive, stock Intel video card, Centrino Core 2 Duo 1.6 MHz.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Hmmmm... never had a printer hooked up on the new comp. That's interesting though, if that's all it took to fix your panel problems. People had panel problems with computers without external peripherals such as my current set up... just your average plug-n-play keyboard and mouse. With the noted fix, I haven't had any more instances of panel problems at all. Then again, I surely won't bother trying to install my old printer either not that I probably could anyways. Darn, I already miss that old and trusty laser printer.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:30 AM
  •  

I have now tried hotfix 929637 still no control panel . Next step reformat an re-install.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:09 PM
  • I have received the hotfix Windows6.0-KB929637-v2-x86.msu from MS support and applied it. It appears to have fixed the problem for me , control panel and other services (e.g. print) work fine for several days now. I have noted that Vista seems to take a bit longer logging in now though...

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:32 PM
  •  Dostoyevsky77 wrote:
    Here is a workaround:

This worked for me.  I found that SLUNotify was already stopped, however, so I just sopped and restarted the Software Licensing service.  Kudos to you for posting this here and to Toby at the nVidia forums.
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 4:24 PM
  • The hotfix KB929637 did indeed solve the problem. I've actually taken the time to blog about it as well. Just to give it back to the community I guess, especially those who are facing the same problem.

Icons missing from Control Panel / Cannot start Control Panel, Welcome Center

Btw, do get the authentic fix and not download it off some site as from my experience, there're two types. The correct one has a v2 as in version 2 in its file name.

Filename: Windows6.0-KB929637-v2-x86.msu
    MD5: 8de918eb440aebc406019e64ec8d93d5

Monday, October 22, 2007 5:27 AM
  • This resolved the problem I was having.

Thanks a million!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Ive had the same problem for about two days now. I solved the problem by uninstalling Nero Burning Rom v8.1.1 and my PC was back to normal.  Since i couldnt go to control panel i vent to the Nero "control panel" (the one where u can manage license-keys etc.) and removed the whole suite. The last two programs i installed before it went crazy was Nero and UT2004. And i know for sure it wasnt UT2004 that messed up my control panel ;-)  Maybe some of you out there can use these hints ....     so dont go formatting your harddrive just yet - seems to be several ways to solve this issue.

Sweetfrost 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Just in case this is of any interest to anyone:

I never had the problem where the control panel wouldn't work properly etc. until I used the disk cleanup option in 'Computer Manager', which deletes your profile's console files.  So I'm guessing ever since I have had Vista and all my hardware & software installed, some fix was saved to my profile automatically.  I thought it may have been a Windows Update, but from what you guys are saying, it doesn't look like that's the case.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Thank you for the above advice it worked a treat.  Its not something I would normally do but I was that desperate.  Why didn't Dell tell me this easy solution all they could do was take my new PC back to basics three times.

Thank you.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:13 AM
  •  fish123456 wrote:
     Dostoyevsky77 wrote:
    Here is a workaround:

This worked for me.  I found that SLUNotify was already stopped, however, so I just sopped and restarted the Software Licensing service.  Kudos to you for posting this here and to Toby at the nVidia forums.

I can not find part number 3 on my computer (Software Licensing Service) I do not know where that is in the services? and how do I restart both services as well?

Thank you.

Monday, December 24, 2007 6:54 PM
  • My SFC went to 100% and had not found any problems.  Unfortunatly I have the CP glitch too, it seems.  I also can't view the properties of My Computer, in order to access the Device Manager.

I recently installed a GeForce 8500GT, and nVidia drivers to go with it.  Nothing was wrong at the time of installation, but after one reset all went down.  Restarted multiple times, tried the workaround, including the batch.  And I attempted to download the hotfix off a website (v2) but it said it's not for my system.  Guess it knows.

All I can do now, is wait and see if MS will send me a hotfix that'll work.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:36 PM
  • Worked great, any ideas on how to defeat task bar warning like low disc space on my D drive which is this computers back up, and also I've disable some start up in msconfig and get a warning that some start up programs are blocked. I start the blocked programs but it shows nothing.

Thought I'd ask you since the services tip worked so good.

Thanks.

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:09 PM
  •  

I am having no control panel, no display properties etc.

I got the hotfix from Microsoft but I cannot install it, i am getting an error msg: The Update does not apply for your system.

enabling/disabling the services also doesnt work, anybody got some extra ideas ?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Kenzieb07  I have the same problem as yourself the control panel flashes and disappears have you had a response?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:26 PM
  •  

PERFECT!! THX for the much needed fix!!

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Good work Dostoyevsky77. I tried this and Control Panel is functioning.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:52 PM
  • My SLUNotify service is already stopped. Following these directions doesn't seem to fix my problem.

I did notice that there is an update that doesn't want to "take", and I found this in my WindowsUpdate.log:

2008-01-29    11:42:53:538    3940    cb0    Misc    ===========  Logging initialized (build: 7.0.6001.17052, tz: -0800)  ===========
    2008-01-29    11:42:53:538    3940    cb0    Misc      = Process: C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapp.exe
    2008-01-29    11:42:53:538    3940    cb0    CltUI    FATAL: Failed to open Microsoft.WindowsUpdate page "<home>", hr=80004005

I can't seem to find any information online about this error. The proposed hotfix wouldn't install on the SP1 RC, either.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Thanks,

This worked for me

-----------------------------------------

Dell Optiplex 755

Vista Business (downgrade soon and back to the "Good Old XP Pro)

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:42 PM
  • Oy vey!  I'm at my wits end!  Well, I just got this problem today.  Lord knows what caused it, as I've been using Vista Ultimate since upgrading over XP Pro last October, and had no problems.  About 3 hours ago, my system alerted me to several important updates that needed to be installed - about 10 of them.  So, I let the computer do its thing and everything seemed fine, until I tried to open the control panel.  Same thing - appears for a moment, then disappears.  I can get the individual control panel applets working though, by typing in the appropriate file name in the 'Run' window - such as "appwiz.cpl."  Some don't work though.  These are the ones that don't - what they are, I have no idea, as the filenames aren't exactly revealing as to their identity.  This is probably insignificant to the matter at hand, but just in case:

(Note - all these are in the windows\system32 folder)

AKCPanel.cpl
    bthprops.cpl
    infocardcpl.cpl
    iprops.cpl
    nvtuicpl.cpl

(note - system alerts me that there's a compatibility issue with this.  Clicking on run doesn't do anything.  It's Nvida's "nView Desktop Manager (NVIDIA Drivers)".  I do have a service related to NVIDIA that I had disabled on startup in the past (under XP Pro - I cannot recall if this was restarted when I chose to upgrade to Vista) with my old Geforce 6600 card - perhaps this particular program might need that, but I don't know if this is significant.  I can open up the Nvidia control panel fine, though. (nvcpl.cpl))

SilSupp.cpl

(Based on the first 3 letters, I believe this is related to my Silcon Image Raid Controller, but I'm not positive.  I have raid disabled in the BIOS, as I don't have a need for it - maybe that's why I can't open it.)

wscui.cpl

Thinking one or more of the updates was the culprit, I removed those.  Well, 8 out of 10 anyway.  2 of them I was unable to remove - KB937287 & KB938371.  Anyway, after removing the others, I tried opening the control panel again - no dice.  Those 2 updates I mentioned probably aren't the culprit, but who knows?  I Can't uninstall them, because "uninstall" doesn't appear as an option when I open up the window that shows all the updates I installed, and right-click on those updates.

Starting, stopping, & restarting the 2 services that have been previously mentioned doesn't work either.  Neither does the registry fix that someone here mentioned previously.

I do have a Nvidia chip-based video card (256 MB MSI NX8600 GT), that I installed a month ago, but as I've said at the start, I've had no problems with that, and I have the latest driver.  Funny that the OS would wait until now to whine about it.

Then I hear about Microsoft's hotfix, and installed it.  Doesn't work either! GRR!

Sounds like my only recourse now is to re-install Vista, but do a clean one this time.  Wonderful!  Unless  anyone else have any ideas?  It seems extremely ridiculous to me that I have to go through all that riga-marole (or how ever that word is spelled) just to get something that is being a nuisance working again.

Frustrated,

Jay72

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  

I have this problem, despite doing a complete, fresh reinstall of Vista Home Premium - twice!  The problem  comes and goes (e.g., in 10 reboots, the problem appears about 7 times). 

The first posts in this thread regarding this problem date back more than a year.  There's even a MIcrosoft KB article about it that says there's a hotfix, but they don't simply post it on their website to download and some - like Jay72 - are saying it doesn't even work!

I paid a ton of money and have spent a ton of time, and it makes me furious that they don't just fix it.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 5:51 AM
  • That's strange. From what I gathered, the cause is from Nero components. I'm still running all stock on an Intel platform, including onboard sound and video. I'm not saying that optional video cards are off the hook for this occurrence though.

My backstory is that I needed a new computer to replace my aging one and I decided to upgrade to Vista Home Premium for the heck of it. The computer was store bought as a system and there was a Nero trial package installed. I started to have issues with the darn control panel disappearing so that's how I found myself on this topic at hand. While trying the temporary solution of restarting the licencing service or whatnot, that only solved the problem for the day seeing how I don't keep the computer on 24/7. Someone had mentioned a hotfix and I sent in a request. I applied the V2 hotfix and the control panel issue went away for good. I haven't had any problems since then.

Alas, maybe different computer builds puts a kink into the grand scheme of things... seeing how many of you still have problems. My Vista was a full deal, not an upgrade over XP, if that matters any. I imagine this topic is dry of new ideas, probably due from the hotfix curing most woes. I wish I could be of service, but my problems are gone due to the hotfix. What I still wonder is why the hotfix is not installing or fixing the problem for you others. Then again, who really knows? I will say this though; you folks should get help from Microsoft... in the literal meaning that they should help you with the problem, instead of leaving you to wait for a magical solution from new Vista users. I'm just confused to why the Beta phase didn't catch this blatant problem, I'm sure there must have been a lot of folks using Nero programs and a garden variety of video cards.

At any rate, are you sure you are requesting the proper fix as per 64-bit VS 32-bit?

Again, I wish there was more to say, but I'll leave more fodder to your quest: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/566941-vista-control-panel-problem-please.html

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:32 AM
  • Thanks it worked.....

Regards

Leo

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Hi there,

I have the same kind of issue: Control Panel is not appearing on restart, and I canno't print.

By going to Windows Explorer, I am able to see the folder list of the control panel and to see the content of them (e.g.: printers), but I cannot open Control Panel. I cannot open Personnalize by doing a right click on desktop either.

I don't have any Nvidia drivers/components, nor any Nero software on these machines.

I checked the solution proposed, I went to Services and checked the status of the SLU Notify service and the Software Licensing service. The SLU was stopped and set to manual and the Software licensing was started and set to automatic. I stopped and restarted the Software licensing service --> problem solved, I can open Control Panel and print again.. for the moment.

The main problem is, I have to restart the Software Licensing Service almost at every restart (--> almost every day).

I didn't set the SLU to automatic because: I have another exact same machine and on this 2nd machine, the services have the same status as the first machine and no problem at all.

Does someone have a long term solution to this?

Thanks a lot,

Luke

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:52 AM
  •  

Yeah, I've been experiencing the same problem for a few days now. But the strange thing is, I've had my video driver installed for a while now (NVIDIA 8800 GT). First off, I'm going to start by saying that I'm no genius when it comes to computers, so if I make a really stupid statement, please keep it to yourself.

My problem actually started with a series of events: First, i was adding another .dll file in System32 so that one of my programs would work correctly. However, the next time I started up my PC, my windows explorer was screwed up, alternating between "Windows Explorer has stopped working, searching for problem," and "Windows Explorer is restarting." It doesnt stop. Couldn't open the control panel, windows explorer, nothing. So I started up my computer in safe mode and system restored to awhile ago. I restarted again, and that other problem stopped, but then I find myself with that ugly safe-mode skin. So I go to change it, and alas, the control panel loads up for a few seconds and then it closes on me. The details reveal that I don't have access to this function, but I am logged in as an administrator

The temp fix doesn't work for me either. when I try SLUI, it says "Windows cannot start SLUI on Local Computer." same thing happens when i try to start software licensing.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I can't begin to imagine how frustrated I would be if i had to reformat or switch back to XP.

Monday, May 05, 2008 5:49 PM
  • If you need to get into Control Panel, right click start, click on explore. Now scroll down until you see control panel, instead of clicking on control panel click on the little arrow next to it. Control panel should appear. Wink

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:41 AM
  • Thank you!

I restarted Software Licensing and it automatically resolved the issue.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 1:27 AM
  • I had built my desk top using ATI graphics board on an Intel MB. Everything worked great with XP, But then I did a clean install using a new HD and the device manger was showing the graphic board was not working correctly. So I went to ATI, got the latest graphics driver and now I have no control panel. It does the same as what everyone is describing. I have also used the instruction regarding going through launching the services, both from the "run command" as well as right clicking on the "Computer" icon and it does nothing to correct the issue.

My frustration is that I cannot go in and uninstal the drivers since I have no access tp the Control Panel.

Any help or upidates would be greatly appreciated. BTW, everything works great with Vista on my laptop, so I am assuming that it definetly has somethting to do with the graphics drivers since the laptop has the instal disk whgich included the VISTA. The desktop is using a fresh (legal) copy of VISTA Ultimate.

Monday, June 02, 2008 4:54 PM
  • same problem with me. control panel crashes and not open
    Monday, June 30, 2008 8:08 PM
  • I tried this solution and it didn't work, I have recovery discs on the way from HP to try and resolve this issue as it was caused by using the from harddrive reformat tool without discs, IE its a normal function in there and it went horribly wrong.  But this solution didn't work, and this is a laptop, HP Pavillion dv6000 vista home premium.
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Control panel window flashes then disapears.  When opened another way it shows empty.  Have tried the workaround of stopping then restarting SLU Notification service and software licensing service and being sure they are set on automatic.  Did not work.

Computer is Acer Aspire 3280 (laptop) running Windows Vista Basic.  Have contacted ACER with no response.
    Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:19 PM
  •  fish123456 wrote:
     Dostoyevsky77 wrote:
    Here is a workaround:

Worked for me too, have no idea what caused the control panel and associated services to disappear, but both 2 and 3 were off, I just started number 3 and all is well, control panel is back in business.

If might have been one of my draconian security programs that might have turned it off in the first place, I just can't remember.
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 4:59 PM
  • I having same problem as knights191.

so when i try to install the hotfix i get: The Update does not apply for your system.

After some reaserch i understood that im not able to install the hotfix because i already have sp1 installed.

so it this the case with you knights191? did u manage to fix it?

Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I had this problem a few days ago, and then it fixed itself somehow - I just had the same problem again a few minutes ago - everything disappeared not only from my Control Panel, but the Microsoft Games in Games Explorer.  I'm running 64bit Vista.
    I opened up Task Manager and saw that there were two instances of explorer.exe running, one in 32bit and one in 64bit.  I ended the 32bit version, and everything came back onto the screen.

Not sure if this will help anyone out there but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 12:04 PM
  •  mmak_leo wrote:

Thanks it worked.....

Regards

Leo

Why do you continue to post this? services.msc is not accessible nor is the administartive tools menu with this problem. Some of us can open control panel and even add/remove programs, but NO properties dialogs or other control panel items. They open, do not populate & close.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Ok, the fix didnt work for me Sad

BUT... I think I have a solution to the problem with the missing control panel etc..

DIRECTX 9!!!!

It's not a card specific driver I dont think. think if you have DX10 and install DX9 there could be problems.
    The control panel disapearing started after I installed a game which automatically installed directx 9.

I basically booted from the vista dvd. did a system repair and repaired the DX9 installation. control panel seemed to work after that.

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:47 AM
  • *update*

you can still run directx 9 on vista, just make sure it is the latest version. older versions will cause the control panel display error.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:35 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with the disappearing control panel. The previously prescribed workaround didn't fix it. The problem didn't begin happening until I installed some updates a month or so ago. I purchased my VAIO halfway through 2007 and hadn't updated it since. I don't know if that helps anyone better target the issue. Has anyone developed any other ways to reach the control panel other than stopping and starting the services mentioned above?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:05 PM