Office Pro with Publisher 2002 - Validation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have office pro & publisher 2002 and have never had a problem with activation/validation before.  I know my software is genuine.  I have the documentation/product key etc and the diagnostic tool verifies that. I have seen a fix offered to others on this forum by deleting the hidden Data file and then re activating Word etc.. no good. My Windows Xp application passed the validation check.  All my applications in office pro show as activated but they are not valid when accessed by the validation tool. Publisher (out of the same Microsoft package with Office Pro) is activated and validated. I note that in the diagnosis report below the 'Office Status' reads "101 not activated".  I need a solution please. (it appears I may be one of many in the same boat)

Further to my last

Info both COAs

1.    Windows XP home edition /Microsoft Office Pro with Publisher 2002

2.    Both  endorsed "OEM Product"

3.    No manufacturers detail on COAs

FURTHER  today at about 3.00p.m. on Sunday the 15 March 2009 I went throught the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Softward page and checked the validity of both my Windows xp COA & disc and my Office xp Pro COA & disc.  All came up trumps as expected, I then attempted again to validate my Office Pro xp and was told it was an invalid copy???  My Windows xp is valid according to WGA??? As I have said previously my software has been activated since 2002 and validated ever since you started your WGA program some time ago.  Why is it now not regarded as genuine?  I also believe that this trouble started for me after my most recent download of updates from Windows etc.

Regards
    gisacupatealuv

AND AGAIN - 10.52 P.M. Monday 16 March 2009 - I see that a number of posts after mine have had replies, is there a problem re my post???  My original post made Sat 2,25 p.m. 14 March 2009.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YH6HV-83JBW-RVRJ6
    Windows Product Key Hash: WPjj57PIH/UvBQak+onpwFBnWeo=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2114364-39474
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {1AE95BEC-274C-4835-98AB-8F418CB77BD6}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    File Exists: No
    Version: 1.7.105.35
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 101
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office XP Professional - 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Publisher 2002 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.105.35
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005_3E121E02-372-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1AE95BEC-274C-4835-98AB-8F418CB77BD6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RVRJ6</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2114364-39474</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-842925246-115176313-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GBT___</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030214000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2AF2308F0184A05F</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAVerify.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>A143A356C3A6F44</Val><Hash>VZqQrDTAhA1Q1sDHvRoA6FPw7V0=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1790783-84450</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>2B396B9EC1A8364</Val><Hash>w+dAL6DUbgR0vPXi5KQ7iTkamF8=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1690685-38450</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="101"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 147C0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|147C0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|147C0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:25 AM

Answers

• Gisa,

Removing the data.dat file should have worked. Please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support. Include your Product Key for your Office so that we may analyze specifics surrounding the problems you are encountering. Then run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after the changes you made. Once this is completed, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request .

Microsoft Help and Support:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029

Thank you Gisa,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:17 PM

All replies

• Morning Gisa,

Thank you for visiting the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program forum. Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the OGA program forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide the following:

Open My Computer located on your desktop.

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu do the following: Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

Right click data.dat file, then click Delete.

The data.dat file is for Office, Not OGA.

Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and activate it.

If product activation was successful try the Office Validation located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base (KB) articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

KB903275 - How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate an Office product

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

KB326851 -   Activation and registration of a Microsoft product

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

KB919895 - How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

KB828958 - Resources to help you activate a license in Microsoft Office programs

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/828958/en-us

Should you need further guidance please post your question(s) to the Windows XP General newsgroup forum located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=activation&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

Thank you for visiting the OGA program forum.

Stephen :-)

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 16, 2009 6:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by gisacupatealuv Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:52 AM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:46 PM
  •  Stephen

You obviously didn't read my post carefully!

As I said in my original post I have already tried this with no success.   I read numerous other posts is this area of the forum and the replies in an endeavour to
    solve the probelm myself before posting my problem. My applications have been activated since 2002, everything in your reply is about activation,
    as I say they are already activated and it is only recently that I have been getting this pop up saying that my office pro apps (NOT publisher) are not genuine.

The pop up says my office pro app is not activated, but they all clearly are activated, whats goin on?

I am curious why you say my problem (and in a number of other replies) is outside the OGA program forum, how can that be???

gisa
    Regards gisacupatealuv
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:16 AM
  • Gisa,

Removing the data.dat file should have worked. Please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support. Include your Product Key for your Office so that we may analyze specifics surrounding the problems you are encountering. Then run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after the changes you made. Once this is completed, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request .

Microsoft Help and Support:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029

Thank you Gisa,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Following an email to Microsoft Support I received the follwoing assistance from Faizal.  I was enventually successful and I have enclosed the following emails exchanges and replies with Faizal at Microsoft Support for the information of others that have the same or similar problem.  I am still waiting on answers to my questions in the final email.

I have highlighted a paragraph in red in my final reply to Faizal that was explains the move necessary for me to "fix" the problem.

My programs are genuine as I always knew they were and still I have had to waste time and money to fix it, not a good advertisement for Microsoft. 

I have read many of the posts in this forum and I too any very p...ed off! 

Good luck
    Gisa

----- Original Message -----

To: .................................

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:46 PM

Subject: Office XP Pro Validation

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Assisted Support. My name is Faizal and I will be assisting you with your case involving Office Genuine Advantage.

As I understand it, you are getting a message saying that your Office is not genuine. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

I would like to guide you to a link that will allow you to validate your Office online. Kindly refer to the steps below to perform a manual validation for Office.

1. To run the validation:

a. Click on the link: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

b. Once the page loads up, you should see a Validate Office button on your right hand side under validate Windows. Click on it.

c. What is the validation status? Was it successful?

d. If the validation failed, it will tell give you the option to ‘Click here’ to see what’s causing the error. Please send me that report as well.

If the validation failed, right now the issue could occur because you might have a previous version of Office installed, or a trial version installed.

Step 1: Remove older version of Office

1. Click on “Start”

2. Click on “Control Panel”

3. On the left hand pane window, click on “Switch to Classic View”

4. Open “Add/remove programs”

5. Look for any trial version of office (like Microsoft Office System) or older version of office.

6. Click on “Uninstall” and follow the prompts

7. Restart the computer and see if you still getting that message saying that your Office is not genuine.

8. If that failed, proceed with Step 2.

Step 2: Reactivate the Office

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/

-          Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

-          Right-click the Data.dat file, and then click Delete.

-          *Important* Do not delete the data.bak file.

-          Close the folder.

-          Start an Office 2002 program to start the Office XP Activation Wizard.

Please try the steps above and let me know the results.

If our issue still persists, I would need to gather some information regarding your PC to have a better understanding of the system and issue at hand (please provide all of these information, just for verification).

- Version of Microsoft Office installed?

- Do you have a copy of the installation media (CD) for Microsoft Office?

- The part number of the Office CD? (look at the back of the cd in the inner ring, it should start with x)

- What is your Microsoft Office Product Key (25 characters)?

- Do you have any Antivirus or Firewall installed? (Brand and version?)

- Internet connection type? (Broadband or dialup or on a network?)

- Is the computer connected to a network or domain?

- Are there any error messages or numbers?

- Can I have a brief description of what is happening when you encounter the problem?

-Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

* After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard" and paste it in your next response.

If you encounter any error message with the steps presented above, please capture screenshot of it. Here’s how to capture screenshot:

1. Once the error message appears, press "Ctrl" + "Print Scrn" on the keyboard.

2. Open Microsoft Word or Paint (Start->Programs->Accessories).

3. Click on Edit and click on Paste (once you paste, you will see the screen capture here).

4. Now save this file and send it to me.

Your feedback is very important to us. I would appreciate your confirmation or a reply on the results for the suggestions above. If anything is unclear, or if there are any questions about the steps, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be glad to help.

Kind regards,

Faizal Rosly

v-26mros@mssupport.microsoft.com

Microsoft Australia & New Zealand Online Technical Support

http://support.microsoft.com

Faizal

Thank you for your reply.

I have had windows xp and office xp pro 2002 with publisher on my machine since new.  All purchased from the one computer store (hardware & software)at the same time, 2002.

All the above were activated in 2002 when loaded.  All programs have been running and automatically updated since that time. I recall my windows xp at least has been validated many times over the years.  In the last few days I have received a pop up when I open Word that tells me the application is not activated and to go to the OGA page to validate etc.  I check the application and it tells me it is activated (as I already knew), then a WGA icon lodges in my system tray.  When I try to validate office - word etc I am told my copy is not genuine!

After some research I then went to microsoft support and then ended up on the OGA support forum and read responses to questions that were similar or the same as my problem, the replies included removing the Data.dat file etc.  I then went to the microsoft validation page and checked the features of my COA's and discs and all the security feature were present and the COA's & discs are genuine (as I already knew)  I then posted to the forum with a copy of my WGA Dianostic report and received unsatisfactory replies.  I have been proactive to resolve this unwanted problem and tried published microsoft work arounds/solutions etc that do not work, as per your steps 1 & 2

My Windows Xp passes validation.  My Publisher 2002 passess validation (this is part of the same packaging that included my Office Pro)

There is no trial version or previous version of office under Add/Remove programs.

Regardless I have gone through the steps again as you suggested and no success this time either, although I notice that when I go to the file containing Data.dat there is nothing there at all now?

As you would have seen I enclosed a copy of my WGA Diagnostic tool in my message to you.  Nevertheless I will attach a further copy of the WGA Diag Tool with this reply.

Re your list of further info required

• Office xp Pro 2002 with publisher
    • I have the original discs for Windows Xp and Office Pro 2002 with Publisher in their original packaging
    • Office pro Disc part number ……………...
    • Microsoft Office Xp Pro product key ............................
    • I have Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4 & Vipre Antivirus & antispyware Version 3.1.2416
    • Internet - broadband - stand alone desktop pc
    • No error messages or numbers
    • As I have already explained in my first post and above, my system has been running on this computer since new without this problem
    • Copy of most recent WGA Diagnostic report attached.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YH6HV-83JBW-RVRJ6
    Windows Product Key Hash: WPjj57PIH/UvBQak+onpwFBnWeo=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2114364-39474
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {1AE95BEC-274C-4835-98AB-8F418CB77BD6}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 101
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Microsoft Publisher 2002 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.105.35
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005_3E121E02-372-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1AE95BEC-274C-4835-98AB-8F418CB77BD6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RVRJ6</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2114364-39474</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-842925246-115176313-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GBT___</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030214000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2AF2308F0184A05F</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAVerify.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>A143A356C3A6F44</Val><Hash>VZqQrDTAhA1Q1sDHvRoA6FPw7V0=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1790783-84450</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>2B396B9EC1A8364</Val><Hash>w+dAL6DUbgR0vPXi5KQ7iTkamF8=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1690685-38450</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="101"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 147C0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|147C0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|147C0:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I have been wasting valuable time and effort on what appears to me to be a problem not of my making.  I have been a loyal user and supporter of Microsoft, but this is something I cannot afford nor allow to continue.

Regards

Christopher

To: ......................................

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:09 PM

Subject: Office XP Pro Validation

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your reply. Based on the diagnostic report, it says that your copy of Office XP is not properly activated.

OGA Data-->

Let’s perform these steps:

Step 2: Reactivate the Office

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/

-          Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

-          Right-click the Data.dat file, and then click Delete.

-          *Important* Do not delete the data.bak file.

-          Close the folder.

-          Start an Office 2002 program to start the Office XP Activation Wizard.

Please try the steps above and let me know the results.

Kind regards,

Faizal Rosly

Microsoft Australia & New Zealand Online Technical Support

Faizal

When I tried the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data in START/RUN it kept coming back Windows can't find C:\Documents...

Then I went in through Control Panel, My computer, Local Disk C etc.  It was during this process that when I got to "All Users" I found that I had a similar file called "All Users.WINDOWS"  it was in this file that I found another "Data.Bak & Data.dat"  I thought what the hell and right clicked and deleted Data.dat.  It was then that I restarted Word and the activation wizard appeared and then re activation and through to a validation check that came up trumps.

As I have said before in this exchange and others I had followed this method before and deleted "Data.dat" from the Data folder but going through "All Users"

NOT "All Users.WINDOWS"

Thank you for your assistance.

I know from reading the OGA forum that there are many others who are being tormented with this problem i.e. customers who know there copies of Windows and Office Pro are genuine but being told there Office Pro etc is not genuine. I proactively made every check possible to ensure my programs were genuine by using your security/validation pages etc re discs and C.O.A.'s

I have some questions:

• Why is the happening now, what has changed that has caused this problem to appear now? My system and programs have been operating without this problem for 7 years!
    • My programs/applications are genuine, why did I have to go through this torment, lost time & money over many hours to get it fixed?
    • Is there a problem with your validation process?
    • Has there been a recent update that has caused this? 
    • Why, if my programs are genuine, and I know they were previously activated, did I have to go through this "fixing" process

I am serious about getting the answers to the above questions.

Regards

Christopher

Regards gisacupatealuv
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Gisacupatealuv,

Glad to see that your Office XP is back to being recognized as Valid.

I'd like to try to explain what happened.

First a little background on activation and validation.  Activation takes place upon installation of a product, and the record of the activation is stored either in the registry or in a file--in the case of Office XP, it's in the file data.dat.  Periodically, the product will recheck itself and if the same or similar values are generated compared to what is in the original data.dat and data.bak, the product is still activated and all is well.

Validation is an additional anitpiracy measure that takes into account the fact that Product Keys can be pirated and that Volume Licensing product keys can be valid one day and invalid the next, because the VL agreements can expire as well as VL product keys can be stolen and pirated, too.  So validation allows Microsoft to screen product keys based on real-time information and weed out the installations that are using either pirated keys or stolen VL keys.

Validation is dependent upon activation.  When a Microsoft product is not activated, then by defintion it is also going to show up as not validated, because of the way the system works:  validation can only work on an activated installation, so if the installation becomes inactivated then it is also invalid.  So if an installation became inactivated, that would "pull the rug out from under" validation, and that is what happened to your Office XP installation.

You were not alone in having this happen.  Recently, something happened that caused a large number of Office XP installations that had been activated and validated for years to "all of a sudden" become inactivated.  I have not seen anything published in this forum or elsewhere that explains what happened, but I would not be surprised to find out somewhere down the line that a recent Microsoft Update for Office had some programming error that affected the data.dat file used by Office XP.  This file is differently named as compared to the same file used by Office 2003 and Office 2007.

Looking at your email exchange with MS support, I can see how the original advice that was posted here did not work for you.

This is the default folder location for the Office XP data.dat file:
    c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\office\data

This is where the data.dat file is located on your particular installation of Windows XP:
    c:\documents and settings\all users.windows\application data\microsoft\office\data

The presence of the all users.windows folder structure would indicate that at some time in the past, you had performed a repair reinstallation or parallel reinstallation of Windows on your computer.  In order to prevent the erasure of existing user data and settings during a reinstallation, Windows Setup created the additional all users.windows folder.  The "active" data.dat file was residing within the all users.windows folder hierarchy and the data.dat file that was residing within the default all users folder hierarchy was inactive.  That explains why nothing changed when you deleted it the first time.

Perhaps when the Microsoft staff looks at this thread, they might decide to change the standard advice offered in the MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/903275/ Method 2 to account for the possibility of a slightly different folder hierarchy affecting the location of Office XP's data.dat if that Windows installation had a repair done on it.

I learn something new every time I participate in these forums, and even though in the back of my mind I "knew" that a reinstallation would have made a new all users.windows folder structure, I did not "put 2 and 2 together" to figure out that this could be the reason why a tried and true solution that had helped a lot of people fix the annoyance of a longtime installation of Office XP becoming not activated did not work for you.

So I would like to say "Thank You" for helping me to learn something new today!  :-)

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Dan (at IT Associates)

Thank you for your comprehensive and incisive reply. 

I make the following observations on the process of my previous exchanges in this forum:

• information I supplied in my posts was either not read, ignored or dismissed.
    • at one point I was informed that my post was outside the OGA forum topic, I asked how could that be?.  No reply!
    • I was given what appeared to be pro forma answers that failed to take into account information I had previously supplied.  

As you would have seen I have asked a number of questions through Faizal at Microsoft Support, I will post the answers to those questions when I receive them for the information of interested persons.

Regards
    Gisa

Regards gisacupatealuv
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Gisacupatealuv,

An internet forum is a less-than-perfect way to provide detailed technical support.  Rather, it serves a screening function to address the most common issues with the most common solutions, and if the situation is not resolved in a couple of exchanges, arrangements are made to provide more comprehensive support.

I believe that was accomplished in your case.

1.  You presented with a longtime installation of Office XP suddenly becoming inactivated.  You did state "I have seen a fix offered to others on this forum by deleting the hidden Data file and then re activating Word etc.. no good."

2.  The support agent (Stephen Holm) may have had doubts about whether you deleted the correct file, so to ensure you were working in the correct location, he provided the instructions on how to find it, by navigating thru My Computer to the specific default location of the file.

Stephen commented that your issue is off-topic to the forum, and technically he is correct.  This is a Windows and Office Genuine Advantage forum, and not a general Office help forum or a product activation forum.  The problem with your Office installation was not an OGA problem per se, it was with the Activation of the product.

3.  Your next response was to inform him that the specific steps he recommended did not work.  You also were not pleased that in your opinion, he did not understand that your two words "no good" meant that you indeed navigated to the data.dat file using My Computer, deleted it, and were still experiencing the activaton problem with Office XP.  (By the way, Publisher 2002 is NOT a component program of Office XP Professional.)

4.  Stephen was surprised that the solution that had worked for so many people did not work for you, so he did what good support protocol demands, he referred you to a higher level of support.  Again, there is only so much you can do in a forum as compared to direct email because forum posts are public which precludes exchanging information such as Product Keys, and the one support person working the forum may not have the detailed technical knowledge that upper level support personnel have.

5.  After an email exchange with Faisal, you did provide information which now, after the fact, would seem to have been valuable clues.  You noted that when typing in the path as directed, there was an error message about Windows not being able to find the file.  And when you navigated to the location where the file was supposed to be, you noted that the file did not exist.

6.  The real breakthrough came when you noticed that your computer had that additional allusers.windows folder, which as it turned out is where the active data.dat file resided.  Once that was deleted, the previous instructions were sufficient to fix the activation problem.

One last comment:  Each of your posts has an abrasive and accusatory tone.  Just as it is useless to berate the mechanic who is tasked with fixing defects in your car due to problems at the factory, it is useless to berate the tech support people trying to help you straighten out a mess caused by mistakes made elsewhere.  The expression "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" would seem to apply.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Dan,

Thank you very much for all the help :-).

regards,

Stephen
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Dan & Stephen

Your reply was overly wordy and repetetive. In parts you were preaching to the chior.

I am not in the business of catching flies.

My tone in every post has been consistent.  I say what I mean and I mean what I say. 

It seems you may benefit from doing the same thing.

My critiscism is directed at Microsoft and that this is one example "that up till now Microsoft supporters" such as I find a step too far.  You must be aware that there is a groaning base of computers users out there ready to critiscize Microsoft for anything and everything. 

Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing? (no answer required - rhetorical)

For the information of all interested persons,  I have attached a reply from Faizal at Microsoft Support and my final word on the subject.

Good Luck
    Gisa

To: ...............................................
    Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:00 PM
    Subject: Office XP Pro Validation

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your reply and I really appreciate your feedback to let me know the status of our issue. We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue has caused you.

It has been a pleasure working with you on your issue. I hope that you were happy with the service provided to you.

I have included a brief summary of the issue / resolution that we worked on together for your records:

Issue: Office is non genuine

Cause: Office is not validated

Resolution: Delete activation files and reactivate office

To answer your concerns:

When I tried the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data in START/RUN it kept coming back Windows can't find C:\Documents...

The location that I provide is the standard location where the data.dat will be. For some reason that is not the case for your computer.

Why is the happening now, what has changed that has caused this problem to appear now? My system and programs have been operating without this problem for 7 years!

My programs/applications are genuine, why did I have to go through this torment, lost time & money over many hours to get it fixed?

Is there a problem with your validation process?

Has there been a recent update that has caused this? 

Why, if my programs are genuine, and I know they were previously activated, did I have to go through this "fixing" process

You did not get this message before because Microsoft only released this Office Genuine Update recently to combat piracy. That is why these past few years your Office software is considered ‘genuine’. You can check this article for more information about the Office Genuine Advantage:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810

How does the validation works? (in my own words). Basically, it will check a few things:

-          Whether or not you are using the correct license for your Office. For example if you’re using a Volume License Key (VLK) when you’re standalone user, then it will tell you that you’re not using a genuine Office. Before this VLK can be easily exploited, and millions of user’s was using VLK without knowing that it is illegal as they we’re cheated by the retailers /online store.

-          Check if you have multiple versions of Office installed. If the validation detects that you have a trial version, an older or newer version that is conflicting with each other, it will not be able to be validate properly.

-          Check whether or not the Office is properly activated. This is where your issue arises. Your Office may have not been activated properly, or the activation files might somehow have been corrupted this past 7 years. Without the need to do any validation until the recent update, that is why your Office will continue working without any problems. So here I am to assist you if such issue occurs.

We look forward to future opportunities to assist you as well. I hope this issue / resolution has met or exceeded your expectations.

As this issue is resolved, we would be archiving this case by close of business today for case management purposes. If this is pre-mature or you are not very satisfied with all aspects of this case, please let me know as soon as possible and we will be more than happy to continue working with you.

Self Help:

=======

Protect your PC by using an Internet Firewall, updating your computer and by installing Anti-Virus Software:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx   

Search our online knowledge base articles for troubleshooting steps

Thank you for choosing Microsoft. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,

Faizal Rosly

Microsoft Asia Pacific Online Technical Support

As we are concluding our efforts on this issue, we hope that the service we provided has been satisfactory to you. As feedback on our performance is the key to drive enhancements to the service we provide to you and our customers, we hope you will take 10 minutes of your valuable time to complete a customer satisfaction survey (web survey), which you will receive an invitation via e-mail in the next few days. Your continued feedback is very much appreciated and valued.

Faizal

Thank you for your reply.

I understand what has happened, but I think there is a point that I would ask to pass on to the the responsible party in the Microsoft mangement arena, namely that,

I support any and all atempts by  a manufacturer to stamp out piracy etc of their intellectual property, but in this case it seems to me that in attempting to rope in those non genuine applications you have created a situation where honest owners of genuine Microsoft products are made to skip through a number of hoops to validate what they already knew was genuine. This seems particularly relevant to those such as myself that have genuine products that are about 7 years old.

This seems unnecessary to me and has the effect of calling the credibility of honest customers into question until they can find the method of convincing Microsoft their applications are genuine, as well as unwanted inconvenience. 

It seems questionable to me that you could not design a Validation system that could recognise your own genuine products without causing this inconvenience.  I am not aware of any forwarning or education by Microsoft supplied to its cutomers to minimise any inconvenience.

In reading a number of posts on the microsoft forum and in discussion with other microsoft computer users I think a number of others agree with my contention.

At this point I simply ask that you pass on my comments to Microsoft management.

Regards
    Christopher

Regards gisacupatealuv
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

You're welcome!

I just didn't think "Shoot the Messenger" was appropriate in this case......;-)
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:25 PM