Blue screen - validation of windows issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a Dell netbook - for the past week or so I been having problems with spyware etc and installed McAffe, it seemed that I installed this too late and was still having problems.

I decided to reset my OS(which ive done loads of times before and never ever had a problem), this started fine but once the installation was 'complete' and my computer restarted I noticed that my desk top image was the same as it was before (telling me that the OS reset perhaps didnt work??

Anyway on start up my computer flashes up a message "a problem has prevented windows from acuratly chcking he status of the licence for this computer" and when I click "yes" it goes onto my desk top but no programs will load and I can't open task manager!

I've tried to start up in safe mode but get told because my windows isn't validated I have to restart normally

I've tried to start up in safe mode with command prompt (following some advice from another topic) and that brings me to the 'begining dump of physical memory' which I let finish then it restarts again I select command prompt again and it goes to beginging of memory dump AGAIN!!

I've tried to start up using the "use last successful configuration" (or something along those lines) and I get the blank home screen again with no programs or task manager

I'm at the end of my tether and I can't send it to go and get fixed because i'm a student and literally can not afford it.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Im quite computer literate hopefully ill be able to resolve this myself with a some help.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:34 PM

Answers

• katkinson,

Your Dell laptop may or may not have had the Dell Recovery partition installed when it left the factory, and if it did, it may have been overwritten if you ever repartitioned or reformatted the hard disk drive on the computer during one of those "resets" that you say you have done often.

Therefore I have to assume you are doing the recovery from the Dell Operating System Reinstallation Disc or Recovery Disc.

With the computer running, insert the Dell recovery disc into the optical drive, restart the computer, and press F12 when prompted to get a Dell boot menu.  Choose the option to start the computer from the Dell disc in the optical drive.  For more detailed instructions on what to do next, go to support.dell.com and search for their recovery tutorial.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hello katkinson,

Sounds like you ended up doing a repair reinstallation rather than a total destructive recovery.  If you did this from disc you must have inadvertently chosen to repair the existing installation.

IMHO your best option would be to back up and offload your data (which you would have already done if your intent was to do a destructive recovery), then perform the manufacturer's recovery using the discs or if the recovery partition is still intact, press CTRL + F11 when you see the blue bar at the top of the screen right after the Dell logo upon restarting the computer.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Hi Dan

Ive tried to do the recovery but I cant open task manager/run and when I try and select either 'setup' or 'boot options' on startup the only screen that comes up is the 'safe mode/start windows normally screen.'

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:07 PM
  • katkinson,

Your Dell laptop may or may not have had the Dell Recovery partition installed when it left the factory, and if it did, it may have been overwritten if you ever repartitioned or reformatted the hard disk drive on the computer during one of those "resets" that you say you have done often.

Therefore I have to assume you are doing the recovery from the Dell Operating System Reinstallation Disc or Recovery Disc.

With the computer running, insert the Dell recovery disc into the optical drive, restart the computer, and press F12 when prompted to get a Dell boot menu.  Choose the option to start the computer from the Dell disc in the optical drive.  For more detailed instructions on what to do next, go to support.dell.com and search for their recovery tutorial.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:53 AM