none
Microsoft Money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Money 2004. I used it on a pc which has now been replaced with an iMac. I tried using new accounting software for the Mac but it did not compare with Money and required to big a learning investment. So I decided to install Parallels for Mac and Windows 8 just to run Money 2004 and innocently put the installation CD in the drive and expected autorun to do the rest. It did not. Instead I got an error message saying: "the Autorun inf file is missing or corrupt". After reading various threads here, I tried right clicking and "run as administrator" but that did not work. I then tried to troubleshoot compatibility and set it for Windows XP service pack 3 (which is what I had before) and that did not work either. I am not a programmer and had thought I had finally got Windows out of my life completely .. now this!
    Monday, June 3, 2013 12:12 PM

All replies

• I would try downloading and installing the appropriate regional version of Money from the links in the first post in this forum. This later version will import and convert your Money 2004. mny file.

Note that the regional versions have different data file formats and cannot read data files from other regions.  

If you have no success with this, post back with the version of Windows that you have installed on your iMAC.

Bill Becker

Monday, June 3, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt response, which through ignorance I am finding difficult to put into practice. I cannot find the first post in this forum. Also I do not have an mny file. I have a back up file which ends in mbf. As mentioned I am using Windows 8.
    Monday, June 3, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Here is the link to the first post in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3

Sorry, I missed that you are running Windows 8.  Unfortunately, I have no experience with potential issues of installing MSMoney on Windows 8.  Perhaps another forum user can help.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Monday, June 3, 2013 8:07 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 2:29 PM
  • I own MS Money 2004, I think it's a UK version. Is there a solution for using Money Plus Sunset? Can I download somewhere an upgrade to a compatible version?
    Or if not possible, would it go if I was exporting my files in a QIF file (Loose or strict???) and reimporting them in the sunset version?
    I use MS Money since 1996, a huge amount of history (also shares etc...), very usefull in my actual divorce, but my desktop is starting to have a lot of little problems, and I can't run Money on my laptop (windows 7 - 64 bites).
    Monday, June 3, 2013 2:55 PM
  • You can download the final UK version from: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3

If you really have the UK version of Money 2004 (not UK Money 2005) you should be able to install and run it on Windows 7 64-bit.

Bill Becker

Monday, June 3, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Thanks both. I in fact managed to follow Bill Becker's suggestion and found and downloaded the Money 2005 file. I have managed to install my data from the back up I had so that seems to have resolved my issue. Thanks very much.
    Monday, June 3, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Thank you I will try that tomorow morning, it's now midnight here in Belgium. Happy to have find you all, it's great to spend your time helping guys like me
    Monday, June 3, 2013 10:12 PM