none
Error when trying to follow referenced thread RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried to follow a link in a recent thread in MSDN forum (to another MSDN thread) and got

Server Error in '/Forums' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /Forums/en-US/thread/3c588743-17f9-4152-ae10-6f02bf5fdede

---------------------

In addition, for more than a day I see no activity in my profile.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Monday, February 14, 2011 4:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• tried to follow a link in a recent thread in MSDN forum (to another MSDN thread)

That can be found.   An Office Access thread?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?Refinement=112&query=meta%3aSearch.MSForums.ThreadId%283c588743-17f9-4152-ae10-6f02bf5fdede%29

What was the context you were clicking under?

FWIW  I often see examples where the "brand" is left out of the URL and I have to insert it in the Address bar.   E.g. in this case if the URL appeared starting as  social.microsoft I would just insert msdn. and press Enter.   I don't bother reporting these because I figure that they probably have a 404 report which would automatically show both the referral and the bad link.  But it is annoying how long they go unfixed.   ; [

HTH

Robert
    ---

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Naomi, where did you find this link?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:53 PM
    Answerer
  • This link was referenced by someone in another thread in one of the SQL Server forums yesterday. When I clicked on it, I got the above error.

I'll try to find the originating thread.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Monday, February 14, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Yeah, the url /Forums/en-US/thread/3c588743-17f9-4152-ae10-6f02bf5fdede  doesn't seem right, it should have the /forumname/ in there somewhere. Maybe the user just pasted it in wrong or something.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:45 AM
    Answerer
  • it should have the /forumname/ in there somewhere

@ Brent

Good point.  That observation makes it less likely that it would be an example of the "missing brand" 404 cases that I alluded to.

BTW am I correct that there is an automated way of handling all 404, so that it is unnecessary to report them--unless we are really irritated by them and want to try to influence their priority for fixing?   ; )

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:05 PM