Opportunity Not Showing Under Contact RRS feed

• Question

• I created an Opportunity under an Account.  I entered a contact (Ken) in the Contact field of the Opportunity.  

Why is it that when I go under Ken's Contact record, the Opportunity is not listed--the Opportunity is only listed under the Account?

Is there a way for opportunities to appear both under the Account & Contact records?

TIA for your response!

Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Ciara,

Each record has a number of relationships to other records. So an Opportunity has a 'Potential Customer' relationship that can point to either a Contact or an Account. If you qualify a lead into an opportunity that has a company name, then the account will be the potential customer and so you will only see the opportunity under the account's opportunity view. In most cases a grid view of records can only show records that are related to that record over a single relationship. In your case, I'm guessing you've set the contact over a different relationship (perhaps the parent contact field?) and so it will not show in the main opportunity view from that contact since that view would only show opportunities that are related over the potential customer field.

You can learn more about CRM 2013 by going on a training course - http://fkbase.info/node/19 or there are lots of good resources in the customer centre - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/CRM-customer-center/default.aspx

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:49 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Ciara,

What you are seeing is a product of there being multiple relationships between the Opportunity and Account/Contact. When you look at opportunities under the Account and Contact, it is looking at those records that are related via the Potential Customer field. Presumably, your account is the Potential Customer (Default behaviour when you qualify the lead), but your contact is related under a different (custom?) relationship. To see those opportunity from the contact, you will need to ensure you are viewing the grid of records related over that specific relationship. 

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:20 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Tag,

Its looks like there is relation between opportunity and contact and you are trying for contacts. I think you have first create the relation between opportunity and account and then  move next.

But if you are working in MS Dynamics CRM 2013, then it allows you to enter the both contacts and accounts by using their look up.

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Thanks for your input.  Can you elaborate on this further "but your contact is related under a different (custom?) relationship. To see those opportunity from the contact, you will need to ensure you are viewing the grid of records related over that specific relationship."

How do I figure out what relationship the contact is related to?  What do you mean by "grid of records"?  How do I see that grid?

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge--I'm using this system without any proper training/prior experience.  Which makes me think of a more general question, are there any good online resources for training for the latest version of CRM, that you know of?

Ciara

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:04 AM
  • Hi Ciara,

Each record has a number of relationships to other records. So an Opportunity has a 'Potential Customer' relationship that can point to either a Contact or an Account. If you qualify a lead into an opportunity that has a company name, then the account will be the potential customer and so you will only see the opportunity under the account's opportunity view. In most cases a grid view of records can only show records that are related to that record over a single relationship. In your case, I'm guessing you've set the contact over a different relationship (perhaps the parent contact field?) and so it will not show in the main opportunity view from that contact since that view would only show opportunities that are related over the potential customer field.

You can learn more about CRM 2013 by going on a training course - http://fkbase.info/node/19 or there are lots of good resources in the customer centre - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/CRM-customer-center/default.aspx

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:49 AM
    Answerer
  • This has me confused -Contact is parentcontactcid and Account is parentaccountid - how come I can't see the Opportunity on the Contact? Is this the expected behaviour? PS not using leads  - creating Opportunities from the module. Out-of-the-box, no mods.

Figured it out: adjusted the Recent Opportunities grid on the Contact View to look at the Opportunity Contact. Was thinking the wrong-way around.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:14 AM