Unable to activate Onecare 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just downloaded and installed OneCare 2.0, I even uninstalled Onecare 1.6 before doing so.  I have 2 computers and neither have them will accept my primary Windows Live ID (not a live.com or hotmail.com email) when I go to Subscribe.  If I go to onecare.live.com/activate, it will give me a 3010 error.

I have emailed support.

I even had an extra product key from an Amazon Onecare purchase a few months ago.  I tried activating that with a new live.com email address and it activated, but I still can't subscribe and the web site gives me a 3010 error also.

Any other ideas.  I really want to try out the Live Onecare Circle feature.

Peter

PS.  One more question, is Windows Defender needed now that Onecare includes a start up program checker and scanner looks for the same things as Windows Defender.

Assuming I get the above problem fixed, can I safely uninstall Windows Defender and leave only Onecare 2.0.

Thanks

Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:16 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Thanks for your help, I change my Windows Live ID back to something I had a few months when I registered and activated 1.5/1.6, and I was able to Subscribe OneCare 2.0.

I will change my Windows Live ID back again shortly.  I reported the bug to OneCare support, they still aren't adhering to the allowed syntax of Windows Live ID and passwords, that live.com allows.

Who can I speak to about merging two Windows Live IDs? Or at at least adding my OneCare licenses under another Live ID to a different one.

Thanks

Peter

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Quick reply to your last question.

I would recommend that you keep Windows Defender on the computer, just in case one day you uninstall OneCare.

Windows Defender is disabled by OneCare installer and is enabled again when uninstalling.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Peter, as far as I know, the 3010 error happens when you are trying to activate a second subscription on a LiveID that already has a subscription. Support was the correct way to go to have this resolved.

You may want to go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with the your subscription LiveID to make sure that it shows an active production subscription.

I also assume that you downloaded 2.0 from http://onecare.live.com and not from Connect, right?

-steve

Monday, November 19, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Ah ok, so the 3010 is legit because the subscription is set to expire in 04/08, and is its second year.

Yup, I downloaded 2.0 from onecare.live.com.  I sent support a screen shot of the OneCare subscription sign in dialog this morning.  I assuming that something may be screwed this weekend, it will just work again late Monday.

My Live ID works everywhere else, just not in the registration of OneCare 2.0 on 5 different machines.

Peter

Monday, November 19, 2007 1:51 AM
  • It would be legit only it it happens when you try to activate a new subscription with the same LiveID. Since you can only have one subscription per LiveID, you'll encounter an error when trying to do this.

However, that doesn't explain why you can't activate simply by using your subscription LiveID to validate your subscription and activate the installation. Is the password for your LiveID complex in that it is longer than 8 character and/or includes characters other than letters and numbers? Just a thought as there were reports some time back that this was a problem.

-steve

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:55 PM
  • My password is 17 characters long, and has some characters than alphanumeric.

I will try changing it and see what happens.

----- On another note, this just sounds stupid.  Wouldn't you assume Microsoft to establish a standard for the Windows Live ID Password acceptance and all Windows Live ID applications would adhere to it?

So now I have to change my password to "rate" medium in order to statisfy OneCare.

Oh yeah, and changing my password to 8 letters/numbers didn't help.

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:03 PM
  • You would *think* that there should not be a problem, but it apparently was a problem for the activation process previously. Sorry that this didn't resolve your issue, though.

-steve

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Steve,

Thanks for your help, I change my Windows Live ID back to something I had a few months when I registered and activated 1.5/1.6, and I was able to Subscribe OneCare 2.0.

I will change my Windows Live ID back again shortly.  I reported the bug to OneCare support, they still aren't adhering to the allowed syntax of Windows Live ID and passwords, that live.com allows.

Who can I speak to about merging two Windows Live IDs? Or at at least adding my OneCare licenses under another Live ID to a different one.

Thanks

Peter

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:40 PM
  • I'm glad to read that you managed to get this resolved, though with a workaround.

What do you mean by "changing the LiveID back" in your solution?

Unfortunately, merging accounts and changing a subscription from one LiveID to another is not something that I believe you are able to do. Support can confirm, though.

-steve

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:06 PM
  •  

My Live ID is this:  iPTB7HPujRUQms8@yahoo.com

I originally registered it as peterdes@yahoo.com around the time I installed 1.5/1.6.  Notice how much shorter it is.

My current password is about 20 characters with various special characters, and rates "strong" on the Live ID password page.  My original password was 9 letters, and rated "weak".

I did the following:

1.  Changed my Live ID credentials to the original "weak" values.

2.  Subscribed/activated OneCare 2.0 on my 2 primary computers.

Confirmed that the OneCare Circle feature worked between my 2 primary computers.

3.  Changed my Live ID credentials to the current "strong" values.

Confirmed that the OneCare Circle feature worked between my 2 primary computers.

OneCare 2.0 hasn't figured out yet that I changed my Live ID back to the "strong" values and probably will never, dumb a$$ program.   :-)

Peter

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:27 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Peter.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:31 AM