reinstalling WHS and keeping old database intact RRS feed

• Question

• Assuming that I can't get my current problems fixed, what is involve in doing a complete restore. I have three disks and all are SATA disks. Should I pull the two data disks and install on  the boot drive so that it does not try to install on one of the data drives or is it smart enough to figure out the partitioned drive is the correct one to install on? I have read that doing the reinstall wipes all the computer backups and I was wondering why this is if the database is intact? Once I have gone through the install, what should I do after that so it can go through all the tombstones and put things back together. I don't know if WHS has such a thing but my camera security system has an executable that sets all the configurations back to the way they were after a fresh install. So it takes minutes to get all my settings back and network configurations etc. instead of days or weeks.

Perry

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Perry,

the backup database cannot be seen as permanent archive - in Microsofts view it was simply a tool for a bare metal restore.

So there is no redundancy and no backup of that database - leaving it relatively vulnerable. (There are tools/Add-Ins, allowing you to backup and restore the database.)

The server REinstall will usually not destroy the backup database, at least not, if after applying all updates to the server you are reconnecting the clients using discovery.exe from the clients Windows Home Server folder. A problem with the old WHS version is the native SATA mode, since Server 2003 does not have the drivers with it. This may lead to the situation, in which only a new install is offered (which is indeed formatting all detected drives), or you have to provide SATA drivers on a floppy. Alternatively you can try to set the mode of the SATA controller in Bios to IDE/PATA compatible.

Always, if you wish to preserve data, read the messages shown especially careful.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:57 PM
  • I have tried to repair the database and to do a cleanup on it. It crashes during both processes. It crashes when trying to backup computers at about 25% into the process. I have started a thread in the software forum. I wonder if an operating system problem could cause the problem but it acts like a database file corruption problem that is what WHS is telling me.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/a024f675-535c-4e49-ad8d-a506d18312b4

Perry

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:20 PM
  • So you can try deleting the backup database as the last resort, since a server reinstall won't fix a damaged backup database.

Don't forget to check the server event log for entries pointing to NTFS errors or unreadable sectors on your disk, which may also cause backup database corruption in case of such sector being located in a database file storage area.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Thanks Olaf that is what I ended up doing and it worked.

Perry
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:50 PM