Cannot install Vail.. RRS feed

• Question

• AMD X2-3800+ system, 4 gb ram, dual nforce nics, ati 2x00 video card, 500gb sata drive connected to standard sata controller, not on-board marvel raid controller.

Initial setup starts up, gets all the way to the last step, completing setup (green status bar about 75% across the bottom of the screen) and it just sits there and is stuck.  Have tried multiple times with same result.

I have used this disc to install into a vmware virtual machine but it did not install drivers for the virtual nics :(

Before we jump to a hardware problem, I have successfully installed, patched and played with for a while both Windows 7 ultimate and Windows Server 2008 R2 without any issues / missing drivers etc.

Any ideas what might be causing the setup to hang?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:50 PM

All replies

• AMD X2-3800+ system, 4 gb ram, dual nforce nics, ati 2x00 video card, 500gb sata drive connected to standard sata controller, not on-board marvel raid controller.

Initial setup starts up, gets all the way to the last step, completing setup (green status bar about 75% across the bottom of the screen) and it just sits there and is stuck.  Have tried multiple times with same result.

I have used this disc to install into a vmware virtual machine but it did not install drivers for the virtual nics :( 

It works fine for me (VMware Workstation 7.0).

Before we jump to a hardware problem, I have successfully installed, patched and played with for a while both Windows 7 ultimate and Windows Server 2008 R2 without any issues / missing drivers etc.

Any ideas what might be causing the setup to hang?

Did you verify the checksum?
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:32 AM
  • My guess would be that setup isn't detecting your network. If I recall correctly, this build has a known issue related to this: if no network is detected it may not complete. The easy way to get around this is to install a PCI NIC with a well-recognized chipset for setup. I like Intel NICs, personally. They're not too expensive, and perform well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:16 PM
  • I installed on vSphere 4.0 (my vmware workstation box does not have x64 emulation, stupid intel processors).

I did not verify the checksum but did download and try another copy (downloaded and burnt on another machine) with same issue.  Will try verifying the checksum tonight.

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:33 PM
  • All my Intel nics are allocated to vSphere boxes but I have spare SMC nic that may work (I know win2k3 and win2k8 have drivers included for it, but then they both have drivers for my nforce nics now so who knows).

I'll give that a shot this weekend as well and failing that just give up on this box and free up one of HP - intel based htpcs and see if that works...

thanks.

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:35 PM
  • All my Intel nics are allocated to vSphere boxes but I have spare SMC nic that may work (I know win2k3 and win2k8 have drivers included for it, but then they both have drivers for my nforce nics now so who knows).

I'll give that a shot this weekend as well and failing that just give up on this box and free up one of HP - intel based htpcs and see if that works...

thanks.

I'll be very interested in your results from this weekend, as i've burnt several downloads to six disks. Verified the checksum and still getting the same result as you have mentioned everytime. Also running a similar machine, but with 2Gb of ram and using the onboard video. The install log just seems to end when it hangs with no indication of an issue.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:14 PM