none
Old Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I had backed up my secondary drive several times.  It failed a couple of days ago, now the Home Server doesn't show the backup of that  drive.  Is there any way to find it?

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

• It's reasonable that it would be unable to backup if one of the drives specified to backup has failed.  It would be more useful to know the answers the the questions I noted above in my previous post.

Even if you turn the backup status to OFF, WHS will keep all of the backups that were previously run.  I suppose that it is possible that your secondary drive never backup up, but that should only happen if there was a configuration error.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:49 PM

All replies

• Could really use a few more details to help more. 

1.  Do you always backup your primary drive? (every day)

2.  Did you only choose to backup your secondary drive occasionally

If you make daily backups of your primary and only occasional backups of your secondary, you will have to choose a backup from the list that includes the secondary drive.  Click on a specific backup from the View Backups tab and click details.  It will show whether the particular backup included the secondary drive.  Keep trying different backups until you find one.

Hope this helps

Friday, July 18, 2008 4:27 AM
  • I chose daily backups of both drives.  When I click on the backups, the secondary drive is never included.  There are only 7 backups saved.  Is there somewhere else that backups are stored.  I have lost all my information.

Thanks

Friday, July 18, 2008 3:56 PM
  • I will assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you have:

1.  Double clicked on the WHS SysTray Icon and logged into the Home Server console

2.  You've selected the "Computers and Backups" icon at the top of the screen

3.  You've selected the computer that the "secondary" drive is attached to

4.  You've clicked "view backups" at the top of the screen

5.  You've selected one of the backups from the list (I presume there are 7)

6.  In the "Manage Backup From" secton of the screen you have clicked "Details"

7.  In the "Backup Detail" screen, what do you see in the "Volumes in Backup" section?

Configuration:

1.  Double click on the WHS SysTray Icon and logged into the Home Server console

2.  Select the "Computers and Backups" icon at the top of the screen

3.  Select the computer that the "secondary" drive is attached to

4.  Click "Configure Backup" at the top of the screen

5.  When the configuration makes it to the "Choose volumes to back up" screen, what do you see?  Do you see both your primary and secondary drive.  Are they both checked?  If it is not checked it is not backed up.  If you don't see the secondary drive, is it connected and is it formatted NTFS?

Friday, July 18, 2008 4:23 PM
  • It was backing it up until the drive failed, but I don't know what happened to those backups.  Since the drive failed it says unable to back up on the computers and backups screen.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:29 PM
  • It's reasonable that it would be unable to backup if one of the drives specified to backup has failed.  It would be more useful to know the answers the the questions I noted above in my previous post.

Even if you turn the backup status to OFF, WHS will keep all of the backups that were previously run.  I suppose that it is possible that your secondary drive never backup up, but that should only happen if there was a configuration error.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:49 PM