Planning for what to do after a failed drive in the WHS machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't have this problem yet, but I'd like to start preparing for the answer now.  What do I need to do to WHS system once a drive has failed?  Presumably if it's not the boot drive, and I have all the shared folders duplicated, then I just need to pop in another drive.  Yes?  No?

Now let's say the boot drive fails.  Then what?  If I don't use the motherboard's RAID-1, then I guess I have an unusable system.  So I need to pop in a new drive.  Then re-install WHS?  I'm guessing unplug all the other drives so that they don't reformatted?  But I'm concerned about how to then get WHS to see all those drives without reformatting them: when adding a drive from the WHS Console it seems to always reformat the drive--I would really want it to just mount the drive and make all the data available.

Of course, one solution to this problem might be to use the motherboard's RAID-1 support for the boot drive.  But I'm guessing that WHS has a more elegant solution.

I tried searching for an answer to this.  If it's written down somewhere please let me know.

Monday, August 13, 2007 4:24 AM

Answers

• There are several threads that discuss these scenarios; try a search on "system drive" or "reinstallation".

If a drive other than the system drive fails, and all shares are duplicated, then you will need to remove the drive from the storage pool using the WHS Console. (Depending on what's wrong with the drive, you may have to shut down WHS and physically disconnect the drive to remove it from the pool.) Then you add a new drive to replace the one that failed, and WHS balances files across the drives. Note that "balancing" doesn't mean that every drive will have approximately the same number of files or volume of data, just that duplicates will be on two drives, and files will be off of the primary data partition if possible.

If the system drive fails, you will replace it, then install WHS on it. Near the beginning of the reinstallaiton, you'll get the option of a new install or a reinstallation. You'll choose the latter. WHS will install on the system drive, but will preserve your files and rebuild the shares. Users and system customizations like add-ins or extra software will be lost in the reinstallation and will have to be recreated/reinstalled.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 4:48 AM

All replies

• There are several threads that discuss these scenarios; try a search on "system drive" or "reinstallation".

If a drive other than the system drive fails, and all shares are duplicated, then you will need to remove the drive from the storage pool using the WHS Console. (Depending on what's wrong with the drive, you may have to shut down WHS and physically disconnect the drive to remove it from the pool.) Then you add a new drive to replace the one that failed, and WHS balances files across the drives. Note that "balancing" doesn't mean that every drive will have approximately the same number of files or volume of data, just that duplicates will be on two drives, and files will be off of the primary data partition if possible.

If the system drive fails, you will replace it, then install WHS on it. Near the beginning of the reinstallaiton, you'll get the option of a new install or a reinstallation. You'll choose the latter. WHS will install on the system drive, but will preserve your files and rebuild the shares. Users and system customizations like add-ins or extra software will be lost in the reinstallation and will have to be recreated/reinstalled.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 4:48 AM
  • I am having a very similar problem. I'm trying to replace a failing 500GB SATA hard drive with a WD 2TB SATA drive and run a "server reinstall", which seems to work, but none of the data drives are seen as data drives, they are seen as disks not added to the storage pool. I really have tried just about everything except the "registry entry  trick" so far. Right now, I'm copying all of my data (3TB) from the server to another disk (2, actually), then I'll do a fresh server install with the new SATA drives, then recreate all of my shares and copy the 3TB of data over the network back to the server. Overall, I've been very happy with WHS over the past 4 years or so I've had it, but this is the end of the road. The inability to "seamlessly" replace a failed system drive is a showstopper for me and I will be looking for a suitable replacement for the WHS solution ASAP.
    Art Zasadny
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:09 PM
  • After you replace the old HD with the new one, go into the CMOS set up and make sure that the new HD is configured as the 1st Boot Drive. This was the one thing I did right when I had to do a server reinstall a few days ago. Both data drives were recognized without any problem.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:15 PM