How to de-activate a Vista activated installation to re-install it on other hardware and activate again? RRS feed

• Question

• I have bought a Vista Ultimate update DVD with a valid Serial number.

I Installed it on a HP computer with an XP OEM licence and activated it without problems.

Now I want to install this Vista updgrade on another new PC more powerful to run this OS and roll back to XP on the old HP computer. I need to free this activated product key as the activation process on the new computer tells me the key is already in use.

I want to de-activate Vista on my old PC!!

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This is a Vista validation issues forum so your question is outside our expertise.  Please contact Product Support Services for your license transfer issue. Thank you!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:22 PM
  • If the options you're being given when you reboot are...

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

... please try phone activating by clicking on the last option, and then clicking on the last option in the next pop-up.

Let me know if you run into any snags.  Thanks!

Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This is a Vista validation issues forum so your question is outside our expertise.  Please contact Product Support Services for your license transfer issue. Thank you!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:22 PM
  • Hi!

You don't have to deactivate Windows Vista to move it to a new PC. Downgrade to Windows XP on your old computer, and then install Windows Vista on the new computer. Just don't use it on two computer at the same time.

Hope this information will help you.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:17 PM
  • yeah that's not true at all dude.  good try though.

I just installed windows on two brand new SATA drives, but had previously activated it on some crappy old ide 5400 rpm drives.  Those are since done with and i now taht the computer just restarted to install "critical updates" i can no longer do anything but browse the net...so woe is me.

please fix this soon!

Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:33 AM
  • If the options you're being given when you reboot are...

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

... please try phone activating by clicking on the last option, and then clicking on the last option in the next pop-up.

Let me know if you run into any snags.  Thanks!

Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:59 PM