My first experience with Songsmith (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• nikoma posted on 01-09-2009 2:12 AM

Hi there,

I found out about Songsmith @ Zdnet. I thought it was a great idea and downloaded it. The installation was smooth and there were no problems. Then I went ahead and just started recording a new song - really no instructions needed. After being in software business running my own company for over 15 years I admit that I was blown away! This software gets you hooked in minutes. It is really a lot of fun and I will show it to my kids tomorrow. I bet they will love it too. Just recorded a love song for my wife - well, my singing is not that great but it still sounds nice:-) 

Thank you for your hard work! I bet this took a while to get the algorithms right. I could not help myself to think what might be missing in terms of features (to post to this forum)... I know that simplicity is key for an application like this and you did an awesome job to hide the "rocket science" behind the scenes. What would be really cool is if you would be able to listen to the final song and then just pitch or tune the voice or the chords in a graphical way. Kind of like you would do in Excel charts with just grabbing a value in the chart and pull it up or down. There were some "alignment glitches" with the chords caused by my lack of singing skills (hitting somewhere between the notes I assume;-)) So being able to tune it in a graphical way would be awesome... Other than that I would call this "beta" a 10 our of 10. Really lots of fun. On Sunday I have a Chargers party at my house and I will make everybody sing songs...

Best

Nikolai Manek

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:27 PM

Answers

• ray-solomon replied on 01-10-2009 4:07 AM

I have a suggestion for the suggestion box.

I think it would be good to make a version of this software for the mac so you can reach a broader audience.

My family members don't use windows, they all use mac os x, and from what I hear in this post, song smith appears to be a very good product.

When I first started using this forum I thought there was something terribly wrong with the software because there is so many posts of people having problems installing it. On a mac, I can't remember when there was a problem with anything.

So I think it would be a good idea to have a version of this software for the mac.

All replies

• dmorris replied on 01-09-2009 3:28 AM

I can't tell you how much that kind of positive feedback means to us.  Yes, this product was a LOT of hard work, but we loved every minute of it because the product is so much fun, and because - this sounds sappy but it's the truth - we're musicians, and we want everyone to be able to have a little piece of the same experience we have when we write new songs.

And thank you for your feedback... every suggestion we get will be taken into account if and when we think about possible changes for future versions of Songsmith.

Also, since you brought it up, we've been working so hard on this product before our launch that I haven't been able to go through my usual Sunday NFL ritual for quite some time.  Let me tell you, now that this product has launched, this Sunday it's going to be me, a cup of coffee, and both games back to back. Go Giants. :)

Thanks again for your enthusiasm, and happy Songsmith'ing... send us your songs!  At the end of your party, you can turn the "happy" slider up or down depending on how the bolts do. :)

-Dan

• ray-solomon replied on 01-10-2009 4:07 AM

I have a suggestion for the suggestion box.

I think it would be good to make a version of this software for the mac so you can reach a broader audience.

My family members don't use windows, they all use mac os x, and from what I hear in this post, song smith appears to be a very good product.

When I first started using this forum I thought there was something terribly wrong with the software because there is so many posts of people having problems installing it. On a mac, I can't remember when there was a problem with anything.

So I think it would be a good idea to have a version of this software for the mac.