Suggestion for Phil of MSFT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Phil,

Lately, we seem to be getting a lot of posts from people who are in a situation where they have repaired and/or upgraded the motherboard that was originally installed in the computer.  As I'm sure you have noticed, these posters can be very unhappy when informed that due to the systembuilder/OEM EULA and royalty/OEM EULA provisions, under some circumstances their license for XP cannot be separated fom the original motherboard.

My suggestion is this:  How about a FAQ page (prepared by whomever, the OEM guys, the legal guys, etc) that is available to the public that explains all of the details of what you can and can't do with an OEM license and the restrictions on moving the license from motherboard to motherboard.  IMO such a FAQ would take the heat off of the WGA staff when you have to be the one that posts "the bad news."

Since I am a registered partner I have access to the secured oem.microsoft.com site, and I can tell you that even at that site, there is no comprehensive FAQ that deals with this topic.  There are transcripts of Q&A sessions that have bits and pieces, and there are pages that mention the topic in vague generalities.  A specific and comprehensive public FAQ is needed.

As a hockey fan, this reminds me of what the NHL did last year.  Now that the "referees" (in the form of WGA Validation and Notification) have been directed by the "League" (Microsoft) to call the game very closely (to enforce the EULA), the "players" (meaning MS customers) are entitled clear and specific information and demonstrations of what they can and cannot do (the NHL had referees visit team training camps to talk about the rules enforcement and they showed demonstration videos).

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 5:51 PM

Answers

• Dan,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. We'll make sure that this is not ignored!

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 6:33 PM

All replies

• Dan,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. We'll make sure that this is not ignored!

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 6:33 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Hi, Phil,

Lately, we seem to be getting a lot of posts from people who are in a situation where they have repaired and/or upgraded the motherboard that was originally installed in the computer.  As I'm sure you have noticed, these posters can be very unhappy when informed that due to the systembuilder/OEM EULA and royalty/OEM EULA provisions, under some circumstances their license for XP cannot be separated fom the original motherboard.

My suggestion is this:  How about a FAQ page (prepared by whomever, the OEM guys, the legal guys, etc) that is available to the public that explains all of the details of what you can and can't do with an OEM license and the restrictions on moving the license from motherboard to motherboard.  IMO such a FAQ would take the heat off of the WGA staff when you have to be the one that posts "the bad news."

Since I am a registered partner I have access to the secured oem.microsoft.com site, and I can tell you that even at that site, there is no comprehensive FAQ that deals with this topic.  There are transcripts of Q&A sessions that have bits and pieces, and there are pages that mention the topic in vague generalities.  A specific and comprehensive public FAQ is needed.

As a hockey fan, this reminds me of what the NHL did last year.  Now that the "referees" (in the form of WGA Validation and Notification) have been directed by the "League" (Microsoft) to call the game very closely (to enforce the EULA), the "players" (meaning MS customers) are entitled clear and specific information and demonstrations of what they can and cannot do (the NHL had referees visit team training camps to talk about the rules enforcement and they showed demonstration videos).

I'm actually working with Susan Bradley (MVP) and a few internals to get the correct messaging put together. :)

Most users can phone in to activate... :(

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 6:36 PM
  • Regarding the motherboard and OEM licence specifically -- is it true that replacing it with the same model is OK but triggers the need for re-activation and a phone call, and that replacing with a different model is not allowed under the same liscence?
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 6:55 PM