Genuine issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a customer's XP Home Dell laptop machine that has a wierd problem. If I log on using the default/owner account (admininstrator account) all is well. If I log on with the second (limited account) I get a counterfit warning (pun intended) that says that the copy of windows may not be valid, and if I click on the 'find out how to fix it' button, it goes to a website that tells me that the product key is invalid, even though it isn't.

If I reboot and log on with the owner account, I can click on the Get Genuine (hah!) button and all gets fixed, until I try using the limited account again, which starts the whole mess again. If I go in and change the limited account to an administrator type account, problem goes away. If I change it back to a limited account and log onto that account, problem comes back.

I tried deleting c:\docs & settings\all users\appl data\windows genuine advantage folder, going to the WGA website and clicking on Valdate Now but this did nothing for the problem.

Does Microsoft have  fix for this mess?

Monday, August 28, 2006 10:07 PM

Answers

• wyo, yes, please run  the diagnostics tool pointed by Carey on both the Administrator and User accounts so we can take a look at the limited security settings that may be causing the issue.

-phil

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:55 AM

All replies

• Can you run the diagnostics tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 on the second limited account and provide its output? The diagnostic tool contains security settings that we can look to resolve the problem.

Monday, August 28, 2006 11:00 PM
  • wyo, yes, please run  the diagnostics tool pointed by Carey on both the Administrator and User accounts so we can take a look at the limited security settings that may be causing the issue.

-phil

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:55 AM
  • What limited security settings? AFAIK, when you change a user account to limited, or set up a new limited account, it uses the default XP security template for that user class. This should be seamless - sounds like it wasn't properly tested before deployment.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:02 PM
  • Will do, but it might take a while. One other problem that brought this system into the shop is a faulty power entry connector or power management circuitry. Just before yesterday's post, this kicked in, it ran the battery down and now won't power up on AC, so I have to pull the motherboard out and have a look.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:05 PM