Today's (11th August 2015) updates fix Win 10 incompatibility with MS Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• Just to note the registry hack is no longer needed after today's patches. I kept a laptop unmodified with MS Money - didn't run this morning, did the updates, runs now. No longer complains about needing IE6.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:16 PM

All replies

• This is great news.  I am still using Windows 7 so I can't check myself, but have you checked whether they just renumbered the IE version to one with fewer digits (that does the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer "Version" key say since the fix?  Does Windows 10 give any link to an information page about an update.  If so does it make any reference to IE or MSMoney?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Current version is 9.11.10240.16384 post update
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:59 PM
  • This is excellent news! Thanks for the information.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:33 PM
  • That's the same as before.  Could someone check if that is still the value in the registry ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer "Version" key).
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:58 PM
  • My computer has now been updated and rebooted and Money now opens without any other changes.

Unfortunately, on entering a transaction, the program crashes.

Does any one else have this problem?

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:30 PM
  • If you are running Money Plus Sunset you also need to replace your mnyob99.dll file with a patched version.  See the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:18 PM
  • After figuring out how to 'force' a W10 update, MSMoney 2005 UK still works, although I did successfully perform the Registry fix before. At least it didn't make things worse

Dr AS

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:58 PM
  • Problems with MS Money Sunset and Windows 10. 

Like others I have had problems with Money since the upgrade to Win 10.

Historically I have run 3 copies of sunset on win 7 and win 8 machines, flawlessly.  The saga, which has a happy ending, follows.  I hope this helps others.

1. Upgraded to Win 10 on 3 machines.

2. Money didn't work on any machine  because it was looking for a version of IE.  (this is now well documented on the web)

3. Changed the registry settings (also well documented) and all 3 machines worked with Money.  ( I note but have not researched recent comments that an update to Win 10 has or will fix this 'properly').

4. So I had Money working, but when I tried a new payee it crashed, every time.  This was consistent across all 3 machines.

5. I learned on the various web  forums that if you turned off 'auto complete' in settings that sorts the crash problem.

6.  So I tried this 'patch', turning off the auto complete and a new payee can be added.

7. Being curious, I installed another copy on Money in a virtual machine using XP as the operating system and hey presto Money was fully functional, using the same common data file.  So at this point I concluded that it was improbable that the common data file was corrupt.

8. I noted the post by Bill Becker above and decided to try.   I used the link, downloaded the patched dll file 'mnyob99.dll' and renamed the existing file (in MNYCoreFiles) as mnyob99.dll.old after over riding the 'you don't have permission etc....'.  I then tried to copy the new mnyob99.dll into the folder MNYCoreFiles and found that I had to alter the permissions on the folder. So after a separate search on changing permissions on MNYCoreFiles    "C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles" I was able to paste the new mnyob99.dll file into MNYCoreFiles.

9.  Money now works without crashes and with auto complete restored.  I hope this helps others.

10. As a final comment, what a pity that MS stopped maintaining this incredibly useful program which in my view is more valuable and useful that all the apps that have now appeard on my machine.

• Edited by Bowring Friday, August 14, 2015 12:53 PM correction to path in 8.
    Friday, August 14, 2015 10:19 AM