Is there a way to make WHS Boot DVD a CDROM for a server that doesn't have a bootable DVD? RRS feed

• Question

• I tried pointing at the DVD with a USB dvd drive but I can't install it that way.  Any ideas?  I tried to find ISO's for installing it via a CDROM but nothing so far.  -Bill
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:36 PM

All replies

• BigBillSD said:

I tried pointing at the DVD with a USB dvd drive but I can't install it that way.  Any ideas?  I tried to find ISO's for installing it via a CDROM but nothing so far.  -Bill

There is over 1 GB of info on the WHS DVD.  It will not fit on any CD-ROM without significant modifications to the files using a program like nLite (and modifying the DVD image in any way is unsupported).  Why do you not have a bootable DVD drive?  You should purchase one and add it to your hardware, then install from it.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Unfortunatly the server hardware I have doesn't have that nor is it possible to add on.  My portable USB/Firewire DVD is great, but not bootable via that.  I am trying to eval before I buy WHS.  If I can't install it I guess MS is saving me $100...
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Hi,
    you could also try to remove the DVD drive from the USB enclosure and put it directly in to your machine temporary instead of the CD ROM, if a fitting controller is available.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:56 PM
  • BigBillSD said:

Unfortunatly the server hardware I have doesn't have that nor is it possible to add on.  My portable USB/Firewire DVD is great, but not bootable via that.  I am trying to eval before I buy WHS.  If I can't install it I guess MS is saving me $100...

The only other option (again, unsupported) would be to try to boot from a USB flash drive, if you can figure out how to get it to work on your hardware.

Does your hardware have a CD-ROM drive?  If so, my suggestion would be to pull out the CD-ROM drive and replace it with a DVD-ROM drive.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Oh well, can't get a dvd in there, but low an behold shoved in a windows 2008 server trial and it asked me if I wanted to install it without booting.   Seems extremely odd that Windows HOME server won't when its meant for my house..   Win2003 worked the same as win2008.  Go Figure..
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:04 PM
  •  
    BigBillSD said:

Seems extremely odd that Windows HOME server won't when its meant for my house..   Win2003 worked the same as win2008.  Go Figure..

Windows Home Server is currently not sold to end users in a flashy retail box as software. It is only available as preinstalled hardware or as OEM/Systembuilder version.
    So installing WHS is not the home users thing besides sometimes for server recovery. If you do it anyway, its on own risk as non compatible hardware is not any others fault.
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:10 PM
  • I downloaded it from Microsofts consumer website from a button reading "Try it FREE for 120 days"  Here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/eval.mspx   I see no mention its only OEM.  Why would they let me download it?  Anyway.  The backup feature sounded really cool but I can probably do that with freenas or some linux distro.  
    • Edited by BigBillSD Monday, November 10, 2008 3:07 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:05 AM
  • Hi,
    a trial is still that - a trial. It has been provided online recently because many people requested this, since before it was only possible to order a DVD set with the trial version.
    But this does not change the fact, that there are some requirements for hardware - and asking for a DVD drive is not really out of line nowadays. But the installation process may not be end user friendly due to the reasons mentioned before, especially if drivers are missing for your hardware.
    If you have the ISO and enough disk capacity (at least around 80 GB for a virtual disk) and powerfull enough hardware, you could also install Virtual PC or Virtual Server and install WHS in this platform.
    Olaf
    Monday, November 10, 2008 4:59 AM
  • >>> So installing WHS is not the home users thing besides sometimes for server recovery. If you do it anyway, its on own risk as non compatible hardware is not any others fault.<<<

WHS looks like windows 2003 with some new wizards and services.  And when I just ran windows update it downloaded and installed "IE 7 for windows 2003 server".   There isn't much in the way of non-compatible hardware for that OS.  256megs of ram and a couple of gigs of disk, but WHS ups the disk requiements to 64GB, probably so you can backup others computers. 

Its still too bad MS didn't think to make a two CD set for install, even Fedora lets you download 1 DVD or 6 CD images.   And I think win2003 let you make floppies to boot it and start the install, I could be wrong on that, but I know W2K server did as I had to do that once.   I'm still curious how they doubled the size of 2003 Enterprise server CD from 569Megs to WHS 1.1 Gigs DVD. 

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Bill, the long and the short of it is that the only installation media available is the DVD (or DVD .iso that you downloaded, which needs to be burned to DVD for actual use). Various possible reasons have been speculated about, but I (at least) haven't asked Microsoft for the specifics. So all anything above is is speculation. 

If you feel strongly about having this available for users with only CD-ROM drives (and it seems you do) you should make a product suggestion on the Microsoft Connect site. (You will have to sign up for the WHS program there if you haven't already done so).

My suggestion when someone hits this issue, if they absolutely must install on that hardware, is to pull a DVD-ROM drive from another machine and hook it up temporarily. Failing that, if the machine will boot off of a USB flash drive, there are ways to make a bootable flash drive from the .iso file. They are not supported methods, but a quick Google search will return more information about this process than you can easily deal with. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:56 PM