Sellect network location RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting a pop up to select a network location.  I do not want to select one but can't seem to remove the popup. I do have 2 pcs one of which is a wireless, but i do not need a network.  How do I get rid of the pop up?

Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:29 PM

Answers

• I'm guessing One Care is asking you to select a home network or a public location. By choosing one your security settings will be configured appropriate to your choice. This will not create a network it will only configure the One Care firewall correctly.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 5:07 PM

All replies

• I'm guessing One Care is asking you to select a home network or a public location. By choosing one your security settings will be configured appropriate to your choice. This will not create a network it will only configure the One Care firewall correctly.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Jim is correct. Your computer is connected to the Internet, so it is on a network. Since you are connected to your home router, which is where your other PC connects wirelessly to, as well, you are actually on a Home network. OneCare's firewall needs to know this from you. If you select "Home or Work" for this setting, OneCare relaxes some firewall functions to allow file and printer sharing within your local LAN, but it does not create a network. You've already done that by plugging into a router. If you decide to select Public, file and printer sharing will be blocked and the connection to your PC is considerably more restrictive. The correct setting in your case would be Home or Work.

-steve

Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:18 PM