Does Windows Live Sync allow inter-mesh(network?) folder syncing? RRS feed

• Question

• One of the things I love most about Mesh is that I can sync my families pictures with my extended families mesh's.  I'd like to move to Live Sync - not because I think its feature set is superior, but because I feel like it will get more developer love than Mesh going forward (assuming Mesh even goes forward).

Anyway, this is the one feature that would make or break it for me and I can't dig up any info online so far.  Before I go converting my entire families Mesh's to Live Sync Networks(?), I want to know if I'm making a time consuming and irritating mistake.

Anyone know?

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:53 PM

Answers

• With Live Sync, both the released version which only does peer to peer sync, and the new beta Live Sync which merges Live Mesh and Live Sync into a single product/service, you can share out a folder with other LiveIDs. I haven't poked at the new version, but in the release version, you share out a folder via the sync web site at http://sync.live.com

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, June 25, 2010 6:12 PM

All replies

• With Live Sync, both the released version which only does peer to peer sync, and the new beta Live Sync which merges Live Mesh and Live Sync into a single product/service, you can share out a folder with other LiveIDs. I haven't poked at the new version, but in the release version, you share out a folder via the sync web site at http://sync.live.com

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, June 25, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Mesh at this point moved forward and is the new Live Sync, not all the features are in yet (like full explorer integration "the blue folders") but what you are looking to use it for is already there. 

You can have all your photo's shared between family and friends with thier Live Sync folders as well.

That said... Mesh and Live Sync don't work together, aka, you can't share a Mesh folder to Live Sync or Live Sync to Mesh, so if you do upgrade, everyone will have to as well.

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:15 PM