What is the storage limit on mesh desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• On my mesh desktop, at the bottom-right corner, there is a red bar. When I hubber the mouce over it, a display appears (4929 MB of 5120 MB used). If that is the desktop storage limit, can it be increased?
    Diana MSDN and Expression Web forums Moderator http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:37 PM

Answers

• SkyDrive folders can be configured to be private, shared with specific people, or public. There is no automatic upload/download, but it is a good solution for storing data that you want to access from anywhere.
    If all of the PCs are in your Mesh, then the limit is not an issue, since sync will be peer to peer in your Mesh for anything exceeding the capacity of the Live Desktop storage. You can, in fact, configure Live Mesh to sync specific folders Peer to Peer only, not with the Live Desktop, and others to sync with the Live Desktop. I would also consider manually copying the files to SkyDrive as a backup that you can access from a PC that is not running Live Mesh for data that only syncs Peer to Peer *and* in case something goes wrong and data gets deleted from all points in your mesh.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by djartsinc Friday, June 5, 2009 7:47 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:05 PM
  • The limit is 5 gigs and cannot be increased at this time, Diana.
    Once you reach it, data can only sync between other devices in your Mesh, but no longer to the Live Desktop.

From Help:

About storage limits

Live Mesh offers 5 gigabytes (GB) of free storage for files on your Live Desktop (The online location in which your Live Mesh folders are stored, so you can access them from the web.) . That's equivalent to about 2,000 high-resolution photographs. Your storage use is based on the size of all the files stored on or synchronized with your Live Desktop, including files added to your folders by other members. You can see how much space you're using and your storage limit from either your Live Desktop or your Devices page.

If you approach your storage limit, you'll see a message on your Live Desktop. If you go over your limit, Live Mesh will stop synchronizing files with your Live Desktop until you clear out some space. You'll see placeholder files (file names will appear in italics, with a .wlx file extension) on your Live Desktop and in your folders for any files you attempt to add after reaching your limit.

How will I know if I've exceeded my Live Desktop storage limit?
    • If you're in the process of adding files or synchronizing a folder on your Live Desktop, you'll see a message.
    • Your storage limit will show 100% the next time you sign in to Live Mesh.
     How do I synchronize a folder between computers in my mesh but not with my Live Desktop?
    1. From the Live Desktop, open the folder.
    2. In the mesh bar (Appears when you open a Live Mesh folder, allowing you to invite and remove members, read and post news items, and change synchronization settings.) , click Synchronized Devices, then click Manage.
    3. In the Change Synchronization dialog box, select Live Desktop, then click Never with this device.
    4. Click OK.
    Notes
    • If you stop synchronizing a folder with your Live Desktop, that folder will continue to synchronize with other Windows computers in your mesh, according to your synchronization settings, but files in the folder will no longer synchronize with any Mac computers your mesh.
    • Live Mesh folders will continue to synchronize among Windows computers in your mesh even if you exceed your storage limit for your Live Desktop. However, any files you add to those folders after reaching your storage limit will not synchronize with your Live Desktop or with any Mac computers in your mesh until you clear out some space on your Live Desktop.
    • Files in shared folders on the Live Desktop count only toward the folder creator's storage limit.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:01 PM

All replies

• The limit is 5 gigs and cannot be increased at this time, Diana.
    Once you reach it, data can only sync between other devices in your Mesh, but no longer to the Live Desktop.

From Help:

About storage limits

Live Mesh offers 5 gigabytes (GB) of free storage for files on your Live Desktop (The online location in which your Live Mesh folders are stored, so you can access them from the web.) . That's equivalent to about 2,000 high-resolution photographs. Your storage use is based on the size of all the files stored on or synchronized with your Live Desktop, including files added to your folders by other members. You can see how much space you're using and your storage limit from either your Live Desktop or your Devices page.

If you approach your storage limit, you'll see a message on your Live Desktop. If you go over your limit, Live Mesh will stop synchronizing files with your Live Desktop until you clear out some space. You'll see placeholder files (file names will appear in italics, with a .wlx file extension) on your Live Desktop and in your folders for any files you attempt to add after reaching your limit.

How will I know if I've exceeded my Live Desktop storage limit?
    • If you're in the process of adding files or synchronizing a folder on your Live Desktop, you'll see a message.
    • Your storage limit will show 100% the next time you sign in to Live Mesh.
     How do I synchronize a folder between computers in my mesh but not with my Live Desktop?
    1. From the Live Desktop, open the folder.
    2. In the mesh bar (Appears when you open a Live Mesh folder, allowing you to invite and remove members, read and post news items, and change synchronization settings.) , click Synchronized Devices, then click Manage.
    3. In the Change Synchronization dialog box, select Live Desktop, then click Never with this device.
    4. Click OK.
    Notes
    • If you stop synchronizing a folder with your Live Desktop, that folder will continue to synchronize with other Windows computers in your mesh, according to your synchronization settings, but files in the folder will no longer synchronize with any Mac computers your mesh.
    • Live Mesh folders will continue to synchronize among Windows computers in your mesh even if you exceed your storage limit for your Live Desktop. However, any files you add to those folders after reaching your storage limit will not synchronize with your Live Desktop or with any Mac computers in your mesh until you clear out some space on your Live Desktop.
    • Files in shared folders on the Live Desktop count only toward the folder creator's storage limit.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Are there any other limitations such as number of folders and/or number of files with Mesh?

It would seem as though Mesh (without Live Desktop) could be used in the same way as Live Sync. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in using Mesh over Live Sync? Mesh seems a bit easier to setup than Live Sync.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Are there any other limitations such as number of folders and/or number of files with Mesh?

It would seem as though Mesh (without Live Desktop) could be used in the same way as Live Sync. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in using Mesh over Live Sync? Mesh seems a bit easier to setup than Live Sync.

I suspect that there are limitations, though I don't know what they are - number of files or folders in total, number of files within a synchronized folder, etc.
    Last year, this thread - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/65b3dd0f-a30b-4c9a-b6fb-eb4d9ec49401/  mentions the limit of 100,000 files within a Live Mesh folder. I assume that this means the total of all files within a folder branch where the top folder is the Live Mesh folder.
    The known issues list post mentions some file type and location limitations to be aware of: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/ed5676d9-59a4-4203-9191-d7f0d72f467b

As to the second part of your question, yes, you could use Live Mesh instead of Live Sync. Note that Live Mesh is a beta, while Live Sync is not, so there is no support for problems encountered in Live Mesh except through bug reporting or peer to peer support here. I would not recommend synchronizing data with Live Mesh that you do not have an external backup of that you can turn to in the event of data loss.

One day, I suspect, we'll see LiveSync and Live Mesh functionality merge (along with Live SkyDrive) as it doesn't make sense to support multiple technologies that do pretty much the same thing with a few unique features to each. Nothing has been announced along those lines, so it could well be a way off or I could be completely wrong. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Will they be increasing the storage limit in the future ? I guess I will shorten some of the folders/files. On file limits, I havn't encountered that yet. One of my folders has 15,498 WM files in it. As far as merging goes, that is more than possible. In private testing of mesh (not the consumer testers, they are experimenting with silverlight, flash, java scrip sdk, and live framework to create mesh enabled web apps., mostly in developer sandbox . click on the link an view the presentation on the future of mesh. There is one app in the presentation that is a packman app with sound.

http://orand.blogspot.com/2009/04/live-mesh-and-live-framework.html

Diana MSDN and Expression Web forums Moderator http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    • Edited by djartsinc Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:22 PM more info
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Plans for increasing storage are unknown, Diana.
    -steve
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Hopefully they will increase it soon. Thanks for your reply
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Plans for increasing storage are unknown, Diana.
    -steve

Especially since with SkyDrive we are now up to 25Gb!! Hopefully soon it will be increased.
    Exchange Freak | @ntpro | http://geekswithblogs.net/ntpro
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:34 PM
  • And not  looking closely enough at what happens when you hit your limit, I thought a bunch of stuff was syncd with the live desktop, flattened the other device and now I am SOL ... oh well, its only data!!
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:35 PM
  • And not  looking closely enough at what happens when you hit your limit, I thought a bunch of stuff was syncd with the live desktop, flattened the other device and now I am SOL ... oh well, its only data!!

Ouch. When you hit the limit, the data should sync to other PCs in your Mesh.
    -steve
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Hi Steve,

The main thing I use mesh for is to send data back and forth to the pc's in my ring. Since mesh has limited storage, would skydrive be a better choice? And if so, how secure is skydrive.? To my understanding, mesh storage is private, only accessable to the devices in my ring. But skydrive is accessable to the public. Or am I missunderstand it?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:52 PM
  • SkyDrive folders can be configured to be private, shared with specific people, or public. There is no automatic upload/download, but it is a good solution for storing data that you want to access from anywhere.
    If all of the PCs are in your Mesh, then the limit is not an issue, since sync will be peer to peer in your Mesh for anything exceeding the capacity of the Live Desktop storage. You can, in fact, configure Live Mesh to sync specific folders Peer to Peer only, not with the Live Desktop, and others to sync with the Live Desktop. I would also consider manually copying the files to SkyDrive as a backup that you can access from a PC that is not running Live Mesh for data that only syncs Peer to Peer *and* in case something goes wrong and data gets deleted from all points in your mesh.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by djartsinc Friday, June 5, 2009 7:47 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know that information. Thanks for your reply
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:47 PM