Windows XP keeps prompting me for validation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a computer here that was purchased several years ago with windows XP installed.  Recently once again I am getting the message that this copy of windows may not be valid (this has happen previously about a year ago and validated without issue).  I run the validation process, it tells me windows is valid, but all of the messages about windows not being valid remain in both the task bar and the login screen.  I have run the diagnostic tool and the validation routine about a dozen times now, and each time it tells me there are no issues and it validated fine, passed all the diagnostics, but the mesages telling me I may not be genuine remain.  Anything anyone can knows of to help me with this?  Also, it is all the orignal hardware that came with this Sony Vaio, so nothing new in the machine prompted this.

Thanks.

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed Cookies enabled
    Passed Microsoft Genuine Advantage plug-ins are installed and loaded
    Passed Microsoft Genuine Advantage plug-ins connect with Microsoft validation servers

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:43 PM

Answers

•  rqn1234,

In order to receive the best support, please re-run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool and follow all of the directions listed below.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing. 

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled? Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:31 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:25 PM