Using connections two connect (biological) parents to their children (daughters and sons) RRS feed

• Question

• My firm recently implemented dynamics CRM and now that we've migrated our data into the system we want to use some of the more advanced functionality.

We are a business to customer firm. Many of our clients are families. So it's very common for us to have James and Jane Smith as clients and to also keep track of their children in order to serve them.

We've organized our clients as follows: client households exist at the Account entity level (e.g. "Smith Family") with the primary and secondary contacts (James and Jane Smith) linked to the account.

Question: I've created account records for their children, Adam, Brittany, and Caroline. Now I want to use Connections to show the relationship of biological "parent" and "child". Should I do this at the Account level? If I do this at the contact level, does that mean that I have to make twice as many connections, e.g, James::Adam, Jane::Adam, James::Brittany, Jane::Brittany.

Looking for advice on best practices before I ask my staff to start implementing. Much appreciated.

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:57 PM

Answers

• It really depends on the way your business serves these relationships. If you are managing Households as accounts then manage the children as contacts instead of accounts and have the connections defined with the household OR with the primary contact of household.

For example if James is the Primary Contact of SmithFamily then you can map all the contacts in that household to James who is the key contact for your business. James:Jane->Spouse; James:Adam->Son; James:Brittany ->Daughter etc..

If Households is key for your business and manages/serves the connections of the household depending on its NetWorth/CenterOfInfulence of household then create connections to the household directly. James:SmithFamily->Head of Family(or simply parent); Jane:SmithFamily->Parent; Adam:SmithFamily->Child etc..

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Marked as answer by frankienap Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:07 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 7:48 PM

All replies

• It really depends on the way your business serves these relationships. If you are managing Households as accounts then manage the children as contacts instead of accounts and have the connections defined with the household OR with the primary contact of household.

For example if James is the Primary Contact of SmithFamily then you can map all the contacts in that household to James who is the key contact for your business. James:Jane->Spouse; James:Adam->Son; James:Brittany ->Daughter etc..

If Households is key for your business and manages/serves the connections of the household depending on its NetWorth/CenterOfInfulence of household then create connections to the household directly. James:SmithFamily->Head of Family(or simply parent); Jane:SmithFamily->Parent; Adam:SmithFamily->Child etc..

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Marked as answer by frankienap Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:07 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 7:48 PM
  • As Mamatha said, the setup should depend on your requirements and business needs. You may already be knowing that there are two ways of associating records in CRM 1) Relation 2) Connection. As the name suggests 'connection' is just a connection between 2 records of any type which gives you extra information but 'relation' has some additional features/restrictions as the records are related and not just connected in this case. You may have related records where on deletion/deactivation of parent record, the childs get deleted/deactivated automatically.

I may go with relations and have the account as 'Smith Family' and every member as contact where children are again related to parent. but if I have scenarios where the parents may move out of my business and children continue, probably I'll go with connections between parents and children contacts.

Now, as a direct answer to your query, 'yes' you will have to create two relations between each pair of connected record. This is to signify that while James is 'father' of Adam, Adam is should also be connected to James as 'son'. Since your business deals with families, it will be wise to have these connections: father, mother, son, daughter, etc.

- Arvind

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:41 AM