Can't Install Power Pack 2. RRS feed

• Question

• I actually need to install powerpack 3.  Appears I have PP1 installed, though its not listed in the add/remove (even with show updates checked).

How can I remove PP1 so I can start from the ground up and get PP3 up and running?
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:43 AM

Answers

• You have Power Pack 1 (beta) installed. If it's not listed in Add or Remove Programs , double check that you have Show Updates checked. If it is, then you can look (on your server) in C:\Windows for a folder named $NtUninstallKB944289$ and (if that exists, try running C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB944289$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in a command prompt.

If the $NtUninstall... folder doesn't exist on your server, and you have the technical skill to do so, you can install an RTM copy (with no power packs rolled in) of Windows Home Server somewhere (in a VM, perhaps), manually update it to Power Pack 1, copy the entire $NtUninstall... folder to your server, then finally run the spuninst command as above. Failing that,  you will have to perform a server reinstallation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:39 AM

All replies

• If you are having trouble installing Power Pack 3, it's possible that you have a beta version of Power Pack 2 installed. Please log into your server using Remote Desktop and see if you can find a listing which mentions Power Pack 2.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:53 AM
  • I have no reference to ANY power packs in the add/remove programs.  The WHS console reports PP1, and version 6.0.1771.0

Thanks for the reply Ken
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:25 AM
  • You have Power Pack 1 (beta) installed. If it's not listed in Add or Remove Programs , double check that you have Show Updates checked. If it is, then you can look (on your server) in C:\Windows for a folder named $NtUninstallKB944289$ and (if that exists, try running C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB944289$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in a command prompt.

If the $NtUninstall... folder doesn't exist on your server, and you have the technical skill to do so, you can install an RTM copy (with no power packs rolled in) of Windows Home Server somewhere (in a VM, perhaps), manually update it to Power Pack 1, copy the entire $NtUninstall... folder to your server, then finally run the spuninst command as above. Failing that,  you will have to perform a server reinstallation.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:39 AM
  • That was the solution I needed.  Glad I didn't need to reinstall or dig up the stuff for a VM. 

Thanks again Ken.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:00 AM