Recommended PC for Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I am a long time Windows Home Server user still running windows home server 2003 edition.

My PC that runs this software is nearly 10 years old and dying. I want to replace it with a newer machine.

I am assuming that drive extender was dropped from WHS 2011. Does this mean that if I lose a drive on WHS I will lose my data or is data still duplicated on multiple drives?

Finally can someone recommend PC that already had WHS 2011 installed on it.

Thanks

Integration Architect
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:20 PM

All replies

• There is no data duplication on WHS2011 in the way there was with WHS1. You have to enable your own data protection scheme:

• Something like mirroring or RAID would give you data protection as soon as the data is written to your server.
    • Data as well as the server can be backed up to an external drive and that drive rotated off site to prevent total data loss in the event of fire/flood etc.

With regard to hardware with WHS2011 installed, it dependes where you live. Europe/UK is relatively well covered with Tranquil and AWIECO but as far as I am aware there is nothing in the US.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, August 19, 2011 4:47 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Are folks doing hardware or software based RAID.

Windows has had RAID since Windows 2000 days. Is that going to be good enough?

US is a big market for software. If there are no vendors with WHS 2011 than writing is on the wall for this product.

It is too bad because it has been a wonderful product for me and there is nothing like it in the market.

Integration Architect
    Friday, August 19, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Both, as far as RAID is concerned.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 4:45 PM