none
User Defined Functions coded in a previous release of Visual Studio and used in Sql Server 2008; trying to migrate to VS 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Question
    You cannot vote on your own post

I am trying to connect to a Sql Server 2008 database with my user defined functions I coded in an previous release of Visual Studio (2005, 2008).  When I deploy the functions, nothing happens: no error messages, no warnings and no message that indicates it has started the deploy process.  And the UDF functions do not exist under the programming option in sql management server.  How can I debug this?  Is there a log of errors somewhere?  Did Microsoft replace UDF functions after VS 2010 and VS 2008 with some other technology?  Is there now a recommended/different way to develop C# functions in VS 2017 and deploy to Sql Server 2008?  Given that I am confined to develop within SQL server 2008, can i develop in VS 2017 or do i need to develop in VS 2010? 

thank you 

Thursday, October 12, 2017 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, it seems your issue is about the SQL CLR database project development, refer to this: How to: Create and Run a SQL Server User-Defined Function by using Common Language Run-time Integration  

After research, I found there have some changes about CLR database object using SSDT, please check this doc: How to: Work with CLR Database Objects

>> To create a CLR database object using SQL Server Data Tools, you create a database project and then add a CLR database object to it. Unlike in previous versions of Visual Studio, you do not need to create a separate CLR project and then add a reference to it from the database project. When you build and publish the database project, you automatically publish the CLR objects in the project at the same time. After you publish these CLR objects, they can be called and executed like any other database objects.

Hope the above information is helpful for your question and since our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, for a more professional support, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=ssdt to seek for a more professional support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, October 13, 2017 5:45 AM