OneCare is driving me nuts! RRS feed

• Question

• I have been stumbling around for ages looking for some useable help and have finally ended up here. I hope someone here can at least tell me where I should be!!

My questions are:
    Does backup on a computer on a hub create a separate file for backup of each computer or just dump it all into one backup file? I would like to use one location (an external hard drive) for two computers but it seemed to take ages for the second computer and I suspect it was checking everything against the file that was already there (from the 'hub' computer backup). It did not ask for a second filename.

Why is OneCare telling me there is a 'virus' or something in my Inbox when I have deleted everything in the Inbox until there is nothing there? What am I supposed to do when it advises "customer action is necessary" when I haven't the foggiest what I should do and the "help" page only discusses MS Outlook. (There are other email clients in this world!) Why is OneCare so great if it doesn't deal with what it finds?

I have a 'window' popping up on one of the computers that says something about Quanta Manager 4 but doesn't stay there long enough to read the message. How can I work out what it is saying and if it is important?

I have changed my backup settings to 'once every four weeks' but it is asking me today about the location of the backup files and it is only one week since it was last done. Why will it not understand my requested settings?

Why does the 'delete unnecessary files' also delete files in my recycle bin? I prefer to do that myself at regular intervals as I have been known to go back and retireve something. Is there no option to select which 'unnecessary files' are deleted?

I now read on this forum that I can only cancel my subscription by ringing the United Sates. In the middle of the night? I don't think so.

I am totally unimpressed by this software but am willing to believe it can all be worked out! I have only had it installed for a week or two!!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:14 AM

Answers

• bevaau said:

I have been stumbling around for ages looking for some useable help and have finally ended up here. I hope someone here can at least tell me where I should be!!

My questions are:
    Does backup on a computer on a hub create a separate file for backup of each computer or just dump it all into one backup file? I would like to use one location (an external hard drive) for two computers but it seemed to take ages for the second computer and I suspect it was checking everything against the file that was already there (from the 'hub' computer backup). It did not ask for a second filename.

Backup will create a folder for each backup set, unique for each computer and new backup.

Why is OneCare telling me there is a 'virus' or something in my Inbox when I have deleted everything in the Inbox until there is nothing there? What am I supposed to do when it advises "customer action is necessary" when I haven't the foggiest what I should do and the "help" page only discusses MS Outlook. (There are other email clients in this world!) Why is OneCare so great if it doesn't deal with what it finds?

What specifically does it indicate for this virus? What is telling you that it is in your Inbox? if an email in your email store has an infected attachment, it cannot be removed by OneCare, though it will be blocked. It will report "Quarantine Failed." There would be no action for you to take. Removing the infection risks corruptiing the mail store.
    You can view details about an infection found by opening OneCare, clicking change settings, then going to the logging tab and clicking create support log. In the report that opens in your browser, scroll down to the virus and spyware section. Any infections found will appear and action taken and location should be shown. You can contact support for help with removal:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

I have a 'window' popping up on one of the computers that says something about Quanta Manager 4 but doesn't stay there long enough to read the message. How can I work out what it is saying and if it is important?

What is Quanta Manager 4? This would not be a message from OneCare.

I have changed my backup settings to 'once every four weeks' but it is asking me today about the location of the backup files and it is only one week since it was last done. Why will it not understand my requested settings?

If you changed the backup plan and saved it, your new schedule should be respected going forward. However, scheduling in OneCare does some strange things when you modify the frequency. I've seen it change the next run date for Tune-up to be earlier than expected if you change the settings from monthly to weekly and back to monthly, saving in between. Once the next run happens, it won't run again for 4 weeks. it seems that the pointer for last run gets lost or confused when making changes in some cases.

Why does the 'delete unnecessary files' also delete files in my recycle bin? I prefer to do that myself at regular intervals as I have been known to go back and retireve something. Is there no option to select which 'unnecessary files' are deleted?

You can control what this function does by running it manually outside of OneCare - Start/All Programs/Acessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup. OneCare calls this program and uses the default settings.

I now read on this forum that I can only cancel my subscription by ringing the United Sates. In the middle of the night? I don't think so.

I am totally unimpressed by this software but am willing to believe it can all be worked out! I have only had it installed for a week or two!!

You read incorrectly. To cancel your subscription, you need to contact support for your country. Following the path outlined in the FAQ will present a subscriber with contact options for email, chat, and phone based on locale:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

OneCare has its quirks, to be sure. I hope that you are able to work out the issues you've encountered and that I've been able to answer at least some of your questions satisfactorily.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:33 PM

All replies

• bevaau said:

I have been stumbling around for ages looking for some useable help and have finally ended up here. I hope someone here can at least tell me where I should be!!

My questions are:

Backup will create a folder for each backup set, unique for each computer and new backup.

What specifically does it indicate for this virus? What is telling you that it is in your Inbox? if an email in your email store has an infected attachment, it cannot be removed by OneCare, though it will be blocked. It will report "Quarantine Failed." There would be no action for you to take. Removing the infection risks corruptiing the mail store.
    You can view details about an infection found by opening OneCare, clicking change settings, then going to the logging tab and clicking create support log. In the report that opens in your browser, scroll down to the virus and spyware section. Any infections found will appear and action taken and location should be shown. You can contact support for help with removal:

What is Quanta Manager 4? This would not be a message from OneCare.

If you changed the backup plan and saved it, your new schedule should be respected going forward. However, scheduling in OneCare does some strange things when you modify the frequency. I've seen it change the next run date for Tune-up to be earlier than expected if you change the settings from monthly to weekly and back to monthly, saving in between. Once the next run happens, it won't run again for 4 weeks. it seems that the pointer for last run gets lost or confused when making changes in some cases.

You can control what this function does by running it manually outside of OneCare - Start/All Programs/Acessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup. OneCare calls this program and uses the default settings.

You read incorrectly. To cancel your subscription, you need to contact support for your country. Following the path outlined in the FAQ will present a subscriber with contact options for email, chat, and phone based on locale:

OneCare has its quirks, to be sure. I hope that you are able to work out the issues you've encountered and that I've been able to answer at least some of your questions satisfactorily.

-steve

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply and for taking the time to try to help.

At the moment, my inclination is to go back to AVG Free but I have paid for OneCare so will try to work it out.

I tried the backup route  - the first, for 'my' computer (the 'hub'), went fine but the second (my husband's) seemed to be taking forever and so I cancelled out. It was backing up to an external hard drive across a wireless network so perhaps that was the problem and I just lost patience after 2 hours. (My own backup took only about 30 minutes and they would be approximately the same size.)

The 'virus' it is reporting is PWS:Win32/Zbot.gen!G - user action recommended and when I click the name it shows the location as . . . Local Folders/Inbox. But I have cleaned out the Inbox and it still says there is something there. I use Thunderbird and the only instructions in the help screen are for cleaning messages in Outlook.

Quanta Manager 4 is a keyboard manager on my husband's computer - the message seems to be saying something about accessing the internet but doesn't stay long enough to actually read it or do something about it. I have seen the window that offers to choice to elect to OK this program for other software and am presuming that this is one of those - but we need to see it long enough to actually respond. It is there for less than a second.

Thanks for the explanation about the scheduling. That will probably sort itself out in time.

Thanks also for the lead to Disk Cleanup.

BevA

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:09 PM
  • You're welcome.

yes, the backup over wireless to an external USB disk can be a lenghty process for the first backup. In fact, depending on the amount of data that needs to be backed up, it could well be many hours.

I am not familiar with the way that Thunderbird stores messages, but if all messages are in a single folder in the user data under Documents\User\Application Data\ or similar location, the infection is likely to be in a single email message that could be in the Trash folder, junk mail folder, or any other folder containing saved messages. If you use the support log route I explained above from within OneCare Change Settings, you may see more details on the location or even the specific message subject for example.

For Quanta Manager 4, it may be that it is being blocked from checking for updates. On the firewall tab under OneCare's settings, see if the program is listed as blocked in the advanced area. Change it to allowed, if you wish. Other than that, perhaps a reinstall of that software is in order.

Take care,

-steve

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:09 PM